The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #241
Refugee

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Oooh, nice job.

Thank you! I made some dietary changes and talk a long walk just about everyday. I have several genetic high risk factors. So, I am doing the best I can to control it.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #242
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 PM
(AP)ATLANTA — As many as 1 in 3 U.S. adults could have diabetes by 2050, federal officials announced Friday in a dramatic new projection that represents a threefold increase.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that 1 in 10 have diabetes now, but the number could grow to 1 in 5 or even 1 in 3 by mid-century if current trends continue.

"This is alarming," said Ann Albright, director of the CDC's Division of Diabetes Translation.

The agency's projections have been a work in progress. The last revision put the number at 39 million in 2050. The new estimate takes it to the range of 76 million to 100 million.

An estimated 24 million Americans have diabetes currently.

The new CDC calculation accounts for people who have diabetes but are undiagnosed – a group that wasn't figured into earlier estimates, explained Edward W. Gregg, chief of the CDC branch that handles diabetes epidemiology and statistics.

Also, the researchers used new population growth estimates for the elderly and minorities, who have higher rates of Type 2 diabetes, he said.

One more factor: Diabetics are living longer, thanks to improvements in medical care, he added.

"Not all of the increase in prevalence is a bad thing," said Dr. Sue Kirkman, the American Diabetes Association's senior vice president of medical affairs and community information.

Diabetes is a disease in which the body has trouble processing sugar. It was the nation's seventh leading cause of death in 2007.

In the classic form of diabetes, traditionally diagnosed in children or young adults, the body does not produce enough of a hormone called insulin to help sugar get into cells. That's Type 1 diabetes.

Another form of diabetes, Type 2, now accounts for about 95 percent of cases. In that kind, the body's cells resist insulin's attempts to transport sugar. Type 2 is most common in people who are overweight and obese, in people 60 and older, and in African-Americans and other minority groups.

The growth in U.S. diabetes cases has been closely tied to escalating obesity rates. Recent CDC data suggests obesity rates may have recently leveled off. But the new estimates should hold up even if obesity rates remain static, CDC officials said.

The CDC is the main source for national disease statistics, and the agency seems to have done a thoughtful job in putting together these latest projections, Kirkman said. Still, she acknowledged being a little startled by the size of the new numbers.

"The magnitude is a bit surprising. But the trend is not" she said.

The new estimates were published online Friday by the journal Population Health Metrics.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:40 PM
My family history is chock full of diabetics. So that article just adds to my concern about my chances .

Though it is comforting to hear the lifespan for diabetics is getting longer. Hopefully by the time 2050 (in which I will be 66 years old...wow) rolls around we'll have found a cure for the disease and will be able to nip the problem right in the bud.

Angela
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
My family history is chock full of diabetics. So that article just adds to my concern about my chances .
If it's type 1 you have genetic chances that diet and exercise can do nothing about. I don't believe type 2 is genetically linked at all. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I don't think so. Type 1 is in my family and I am still careful to watch myself as far as type 2 is concerned. That's all we can really do
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #245
Refugee

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Type 2 can be genetically linked. At least it was for me.

I had a high risk, diabetic pregnancy at age 27, I was very slender, not overweight at all.

I had problems with low blood sugar. Since my mid-teens. It would suddenly "bottom out." I would go onto shock. My blood sugar would drop below forty and put me in the hospital. 80 to 110 in normal for fasting levels. They first thought I was Type 1. But, I wasn't.

I was told during my high risk pregnancy. I would develope type 2. By the age of thirty.

I beat the odds. Was diagnosed at age fifty with pre-type 2 and I have never been obese. Aways athletic, eating healthy foods. It does run in my family. My mom had diabetic pregancies. Both of my sisters have low blood sugar issues as children. These are the "red flags" as my Dr. calls it. i have evey high risk factor except for obesity and being Africian American.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Meat

A new book that might be worth reading.

Amazon.com: Meat: A Benign Extravagance (9781603583244): Simon Fairlie: Books: Reviews, Prices & more
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #247
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:40 PM
I was looking on picking this up

As for meat itself, it's fucking delicious. I don't ever see myself being able to go a week in my domestic day-to-day without a good porkchop or piece of chicken, despite my lazy tendencies to go for the peanut butter sandwich as a single, lazy man.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Peanut butter sandwiches and milk are getting me through college weeknights.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #249
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Has meat been banned yet?

I gave up red meat over 12 years ago. I was told at 23 my cholesterol was too high and it was probably hereditary because given my age and shape there was no way it could be this high. The doctor said I can try and change my diet but didn't think that would be enough. I've only had one spike since then and never had to go on medication.

I'll eat seafood and poultry. Haven't missed it, the first few months are hard, but after that it's pretty easy. The hardest part is that we're such a red meat culture some gatherings or even restaurants it's hard to find a likeable meal. You really start to notice it, I remember going to a backyard rehearsal dinner one time and only being able to eat bread and potato salad, and I hate potato salad. Every side including the cheese dip had some kind of red meat it in.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life

I've been off all meat except sea food for the last 2 and a half years. It's pretty easy for me. I had cut out seafood for the first little while, but felt like I was losing a bit of muscle, so I made a compromise.
It's mostly for ethical reasons, so even if I smell some delicious bacon or a steak, it's easy to not be too tempted. But I refuse to refer to myself as a vegetarian (or more precisely, a pescetarian), because I can't stand most of the people who do the same. I have a few vegetarian/vegan friends and they can be the pushiest, most self righteous people on the earth.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I've been off all meat except sea food for the last 2 and a half years. It's pretty easy for me. I had cut out seafood for the first little while, but felt like I was losing a bit of muscle, so I made a compromise.
I would do this if I lived in a coastal city. I grew up in such a place.

The seafood in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired, as does anyplace where you have to import it from a great distance.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #252
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Every side including the cheese dip had some kind of red meat it in.
rotel

i don't think i could ever give up meat, it's too tasty. i could definitely limit my consumption of red meat, but i enjoy steaks and burgers too much to never eat them ever.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

I eat a shit ton of red meat. It's probably not healthy, but I do a lot of things that I know aren't healthy.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #254
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I would do this if I lived in a coastal city. I grew up in such a place.

The seafood in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired, as does anyplace where you have to import it from a great distance.
Toronto has lots of good sushi places, so it suits me just fine
nom nom nom
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #255
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:40 AM
love meat.