The Establishment's Pick? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:03 PM
The Establishment's Pick?

The Establishment's Pick?
By KAREN TUMULTY / WASHINGTON

Posted Sunday, Feb. 12, 2006
"Republicans, unlike Democrats, like to anoint their presidential candidates early. The leading indicator is often the G.O.P. moneymen, who rush to get into the game at the first whiff of a winner. In 1998 and '99 they got behind a newcomer Texas Governor and made him the early, formidable favorite for the 2000 race. Now, although it's two years until the first primary contest of 2008, a surprising number of those very same people seem to be settling on a most ironic choice: Arizona Senator John McCain, George W. Bush's bitter adversary in 2000 and a mischiefmaker whose name has become synonymous with the cause of making money less important in politics."

"Reports recently filed with the Federal Election Commission show that McCain's Straight Talk America political-action committee raised more money in the second half of last year than that of any other potential G.O.P. presidential candidate. Even more significant is the number of big-name Republican fund raisers who are climbing aboard, suggesting the beginnings of a money operation that other contenders in the party will have difficulty matching. None of McCain's new allies are more impressive than former Congressman Tom Loeffler of Texas, a mega--fund raiser for Bush. Loeffler says he has told McCain he is willing "to be your bottle washer, or I'll fix the flat on the Straight Talk Express bus." While Loeffler notes that he has been "very, very, very close friends" with McCain since the 1970s, he says McCain is finding new chums among the same Republicans who invested so much to keep him out of the White House six years ago. "The battle of 2000 is far behind," Loeffler says, "and they are looking for a winner in 2008.""

"In some ways, it is the most practical of calculations: conventional wisdom has it that while a Republican primary would be difficult for McCain because his maverick bent has alienated many in his party, his crossover appeal would be hard to beat in a general election, especially if the Democrats nominate a polarizing candidate like Hillary Clinton. And fund raisers, more so than party activists, have always kept their eyes focused on the next election. McCain's strategists note that he is talking a lot these days with California investor Gerald Parsky, who raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for Bush in 2000, and New York financier John Moran, who was Bob Dole's national finance chairman in 1996. Parsky has not picked a horse yet for 2008 and says McCain consults him primarily on economic policy. But he says of McCain, "He is a great public servant, and I think very highly of him.""

"McCain's strategists say that while the party establishment is softening toward McCain, the candidate has not changed. Says one: "The Republican mainstream is shifting, and all of a sudden, John is in it." Surely no one could be more surprised than McCain by how things turn in politics: the scourge of the Establishment is finally finding love in the G.O.P.--and it's coming from the people who write the biggest checks."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8966-2,00.html

FOX News/Opinion Dynamics Poll. Feb. 7-8, 2006.

Thinking ahead to the next presidential election, if the 2008 election were held today, for whom would you vote?

John McCain 51%

Hillary Clinton 38%

Unsure 11%

Zogby America Poll. Dec. 6-8, 2005

If the election for president of the United States were held today and the candidates were John McCain and Hillary Clinton, for whom would you vote?

John McCain 52%

Hillary Clinton 37%

Other Candidate 6%

Unsure 5%

Old 02-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:03 PM
McCain kicks ass. There's no way I foresee a Democrat winning the next election.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:03 PM
That's because Republicans realize that they have no one else but him. Frist has fizzled and Giuliani hasn't committed. Regardless, that should make the Religious Right get their panties in a bunch. God...I'd love to see that...

For that matter, however, Hillary Clinton hasn't committed to running either. I'd be interested in seeing him and Mark Warner opposing each other, mainly because they're both a little too similar and mainly because I don't expect the Democrats to pick anyone with any liberal ideas this time around.

Melon
Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
War Child

The neocon movement has had it's day, and it was a disaster. Whoever the Republicans nominate, it will not be someone in the vein of Bush. He can go back to battling brush and leave the country to try and pick up the pieces of our government.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
For that matter, however, Hillary Clinton hasn't committed to running either.
Yeah. I highly doubt at this point that Hillary is likely to ultimately wind up being the Democratic candidate. Too many enemies, too much baggage.

Interestingly, a Hearst Newspapers poll just released indicated that 48% of respondents (1,120 registered voters) felt that Condi Rice ought to run for President (though she has denied interest in the job). The poll also found that 91% percent of Democrats indicated a willingness to elect a woman for President, while only 68% of Republican respondents did.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 AM
I wonder how well a McCain/Rice ticket would do.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Hillary's not running. If she does, she won't win, she's too divisive. I think the Republicans might like her too because she'll be easy to beat. Warner will be alot harder.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Hillary's not running. If she does, she won't win, she's too divisive. I think the Republicans might like her too because she'll be easy to beat. Warner will be alot harder.
Warner has no where near the recognition of HRC.

To the original post - it is interesting that the appearance of how the two parties arrive at their choice for nominee differs.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Warner has no where near the recognition of HRC.

To the original post - it is interesting that the appearance of how the two parties arrive at their choice for nominee differs.
That's true right now, but it could change.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

We are two and a half years away from the election.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

We'll see what the voters decide in 2008. We all saw what happened to Dean, he imploded as fast as he exploded, so who knows what may happen with other candidates as well. 2.5 years is an eternity in the realm of jockeying for being POTUS.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
We'll see what the voters decide in 2008. We all saw what happened to Dean, he imploded as fast as he exploded, so who knows what may happen with other candidates as well. 2.5 years is an eternity in the realm of jockeying for being POTUS.
The way I see it, Dean imploded cos the corporate media didn't like him. Ultimately it will be whoever the corporations want.

In relation to those the argument that Hilary has baggage, Rice has baggage too (Iraq war, etc).

Guiliani could still emerge as a convincing candidate - as you say, it's early days yet.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't like him either...I don't think he was a good candidate and I don't think he would have made a good president

Guiliani may run, but people will realize that there is more to this man's record than the 9-11 NYC mayor. Bring it on.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Re: The Establishment's Pick?

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The leading indicator is often the G.O.P. moneymen, who rush to get into the game at the first whiff of a winner. In 1998 and '99 they got behind a newcomer Texas Governor and made him the early, formidable favorite for the 2000 race.
This is the truth.

The money men choose W. Not the American people.

In 99 he polled well because no one knew who the fuck he was.
His name was "George Bush" and he polled well against Al Gore because of the Clinton sex scandal.

These same people are responsible for taking McCain out in 2000.

I had high hopes for McCain back then leading a populous movement with broad appeal.
He seemed to be his own man.

Since then some things he has done has caused me to lose the confidence I had then.

The money men running the GOP have wrecked many things.
McCain has lost his luster.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: The Establishment's Pick?

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

This is the truth.

The money men choose W. Not the American people.

In 99 he polled well because no one knew who the fuck he was.
His name was "George Bush" and he polled well against Al Gore because of the Clinton sex scandal.

These same people are responsible for taking McCain out in 2000.

I had high hopes for McCain back then leading a populous movement with broad appeal.
He seemed to be his own man.

Since then some things he has done has caused me to lose the confidence I had then.

The money men running the GOP have wrecked many things.
McCain has lost his luster.
Find me an opinion poll that shows McCain losing to any potential democratic nominee for 2008.