The Establishment's Pick? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

The way I see it, Dean imploded cos the corporate media didn't like him. Ultimately it will be whoever the corporations want.

In relation to those the argument that Hilary has baggage, Rice has baggage too (Iraq war, etc).

Guiliani could still emerge as a convincing candidate - as you say, it's early days yet.
Guiliani is pro-choice and the Republican party will never elect a pro-choice candidate.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We are two and a half years away from the election.
But only 18 months away from the start of the primary campaign season. Both parties this time around will be going through the process, so expect many candidates to jump in big time starting September 2007 in order to secure the media spotlight. This also means that prospective candidates will have to make up their minds at least a few months prior to September 2007.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
The neocon movement has had it's day, and it was a disaster. Whoever the Republicans nominate, it will not be someone in the vein of Bush. He can go back to battling brush and leave the country to try and pick up the pieces of our government.
Americans re-elected George Bush with a 51% majority, the first majority since Bush's father won in 1988. So obviously there is strong support for his policies regardless of what some weekly poll might indicate. McCain has strong support and recognition as the polling indicates. It is also well known that he supports most of the Bush Administrations major policy decisions over the past 5 years.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #19
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Guiliani is pro-choice and the Republican party will never elect a pro-choice candidate.
Actually McCain has sent some pretty mixed signals on where he stands on Roe v. Wade.

Quote:
Boston Globe, Jan 31, 2000
On “Meet the Press,” McCain said he had “come to the conclusion that the exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother are legitimate exceptions” to an outright ban on abortions. If Roe v. Wade is overturned and abortion outlawed, McCain said he believes doctors who performed abortions would be prosecuted. “But I would not prosecute a woman” who obtained an abortion.
Quote:
Ron Fournier, Associated Press, Aug 24, 1999
McCain said, “I’d love to see a point where Roe vs. Wade is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary. But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe vs. Wade, which would then force women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations.”

A spokesman later said that McCain “has a 17-year voting record of supporting efforts to overturn Roe vs. Wade. He does that currently, and will continue to do that as president.”
Old 02-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 04:04 AM
George Allen is the establishment's pick. It's notable that Ed Gillespie signed on to Allen's PAC, and Gillespie seems to be connected to conservative powerbrokers in a Rove-like fashion.

McCain represents an easier path to the White House; it will be interesting if the movers and shakers in the party won't hang him out to dry in primary states like South Carolina (again).
Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I have the feeling that *someone* here wants a President McCain.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Actually McCain has sent some pretty mixed signals on where he stands on Roe v. Wade.

Most Republicans including George Bush have essentially the same views in the sense that they are pro-life but realize that and outright ban is politically impossible. Rudy on the other hand is openly pro-choice and does not have a voting record like McCains on the issue.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
George Allen is the establishment's pick. It's notable that Ed Gillespie signed on to Allen's PAC, and Gillespie seems to be connected to conservative powerbrokers in a Rove-like fashion.

McCain represents an easier path to the White House; it will be interesting if the movers and shakers in the party won't hang him out to dry in primary states like South Carolina (again).
George Allen is the favorite of some party activist, he is not currently the favorite of the establishments fund raisers. McCain raised more money than any other potential Republican candidate in 2005. In terms of money, McCain could be in the same position George Bush was in 1999, and that makes him the establishment pick.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:04 AM
<PSA>As Sting notes, pre-campaign season is nigh upon us. So here's a chance for me to again remind any fellow citizens here that if we someday hope to have better choices for leader of the free world than Tweddledumb and Tweddledumber, we MUST starting voting in big numbers in state and local elections.
</PSA>
Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
<PSA>As Sting notes, pre-campaign season is nigh upon us. So here's a chance for me to again remind any fellow citizens here that if we someday hope to have better choices for leader of the free world than Tweddledumb and Tweddledumber, we MUST starting voting in big numbers in state and local elections.
</PSA>
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I have the feeling that *someone* here wants a President McCain.
Eh, McCain is not my preference but I wouldn't have any trouble supporting him if he was nominated. I think that many voters feel this way. It adds to his attractiveness as a candidate - relatively low unfavorables for such a well known figure.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
</PSA>
Wouldn't direct involvement in political parties generate better choices for candidates? Sheer number of voters doesn't change anything.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Baby steps, Doug, baby steps.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Guiliani may run, but people will realize that there is more to this man's record than the 9-11 NYC mayor. Bring it on.
like turning the biggest city in america from a shit hole crime haven to one of the safest cities in the nation.

rudy is the greatest mayor new york has ever seen. his policies pre 9/11 weren't always popular, but quite simply, more often than not they worked. there is no denying that the city was a much better place when he left than when he took over (and not for nothing, bloomberg is doing a damned good job himself).

i would be happy as a pig in shit if rudy or even pataki ran in 2008... but i'm not sold that the republican hierarchy would be willing to nominate a social moderate for president, even one that would be a good bet to carry new york... which is exactly why i hate the republican hierarchy just as much as i hate the democratic hierarchy.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I've been voting for the Presidency since 1988, and if McCain runs, I can honestly say I would probably vote Republican for the very first time.