The End of Poverty,Bono? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tennis05
i'm going to sleep well believing that Bono knows more about Sachs and Africa and the world economy and helping people more than any of you complainers. it's not just that i believe in Bono from just who he is, but that he's persuaded everyone from pat robertson to bush to blair, mandela to kofi.
I am sure it wasn´t that hard to get Mandela and Kofi interested in fighting poverty. Because they were already into that before Bono knocked on their door. Every single person you mentioned, however, can be critisized for certain policies - yes, even Nelson Mandela.

Also, take into account that, according to my knowledge, you have at least three people in this discussion who have been actively studying international relations, international development or political science, and one person who lives and breathes Africa every single second.

We are not complaining, we are in a near-to-academic discussion about the pros and cons of certain development policies. Lean back and enjoy it, if you don´t want to take part. We are qualified to critisize Bono.

So our favourite rockstar was lunching with the Prez today. if you believe the news on this side, they agree on this, on that, and heureka! on free trade (makes you wonder if that includes trade-free zones). Yeeeeah, lets produce some more stuff for everyone who can afford, pay more subsidies to our own farmers, conquer more markets, while local economies crash! Nice one, Bono, but not so new...

Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I am sure it wasn´t that hard to get Mandela and Kofi interested in fighting poverty. Because they were already into that before Bono knocked on their door. Every single person you mentioned, however, can be critisized for certain policies - yes, even Nelson Mandela.

Also, take into account that, according to my knowledge, you have at least three people in this discussion who have been actively studying international relations, international development or political science, and one person who lives and breathes Africa every single second.

We are not complaining, we are in a near-to-academic discussion about the pros and cons of certain development policies. Lean back and enjoy it, if you don´t want to take part. We are qualified to critisize Bono.

So our favourite rockstar was lunching with the Prez today. if you believe the news on this side, they agree on this, on that, and heureka! on free trade (makes you wonder if that includes trade-free zones). Yeeeeah, lets produce some more stuff for everyone who can afford, pay more subsidies to our own farmers, conquer more markets, while local economies crash! Nice one, Bono, but not so new...
I'm sure BONO loves Free Trade, it has certainly helped U2 conquer more markets.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FatBratchney

Don't want to give the moderator an excuse to narrow the margins of debate on YET ANOTHER board.
And I'm looking forward to seeing you featured in Inside Broadcast.

Have a nice day dear.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I'm sure BONO loves Free Trade, it has certainly helped U2 conquer more markets.
I´m all for free trade when it comes to sellin records

But not when imported milk powder makes local farmers lose their job.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

This about sums it up for me.

WHY would Bono BYPASS 3rd World Grass Roots leaders?
WHY would he not consult with peasants in the guettoes of Lagos or Jakarta?
WHY would he not consult with peasants who chased President Sanchez out of Bolivia when he awarded preferential water utility consessions to Bretchel causing the price of RAIN WATER to blast beyond any reasonable expectation of bill payment?

Its beyond arrogance.
To question this arrogance is ,apparently, enough to insult the sensibilties of these loyal U2 fans who are more indignant about my message board demeanor than they are of Bono's patronizing (by a Sachs endorsed proxy)dismissal of an "education" in social political realities at the grass roots.

I over estimated the maturity level of...chuckle...u2 fans.

My mistake.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:05 PM
Quote:
I over estimated the maturity level of...chuckle...u2 fans.

My mistake.

Did you even read the damned responses? Quite a few people were interested in listening to your perspective, yet you choose to insult us again. Are you always this ignorant?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Did you even read the damned responses? Quite a few people were interested in listening to your perspective, yet you choose to insult us again. Are you always this ignorant?

WHERE was Bono born again?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
WHERE was Bono born again?

In a manger in Bethlehem I believe. Haven't you heard the Good News? Ring those bells! But seriously you're not very good at combining political invective with humour. I suggest you watch some Bill Hicks videos and learn from a master.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Quote:
WHY would Bono BYPASS 3rd World Grass Roots leaders?
WHY would he not consult with peasants in the guettoes of Lagos or Jakarta?
Funny, b/c I saw Bono speak at two DATA rallies in 2002 and there were a number of grassroots leaders present, as well as a "peasant" Ugandan HIV+ nurse giving her testimony and her opinions on what needs to be accomplished.

Oh, look! Bono, Agnes (the "peasant" woman):

What's this? Bono in Africa, meeting with peasants and grassroots orgs!

Old 10-19-2005, 04:09 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Not only that Fatbatso, but LivLuv is too modest to point out that she herself has actually worked with the grassrooots in Africa, along with a number of other posters here. Sorry to destroy your pre-conceptions and/or prejudices.

For my own part I am a capitalist lackey running dog of the imperialist system, so feel free to throw left wing invective at me all day long and I won't be offended.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Not only that Fatbatso, but LivLuv is too modest to point out that she herself has actually worked with the grassrooots in Africa, along with a number of other posters here. Sorry to destroy your pre-conceptions and/or prejudices.

Thanks, I do what I can and I would be a liar if I didn't say a lot of what I have done/would like to do has been inspired by Bono and DATA.

I don't get why Fat-whoever is so caught up by Jeffrey Sachs. Bono's done TONS of work without him, including the whole DATA tour (where I went twice) and that trip w/ O'Neil (where the above pics are from). I've even heard Bono speak directly as to the importance of grassroots movements. I've got tons of pictures of him with "peasant" people in Africa, not to mention he worked in a refugee camp in Ethiopia (if that's not peasant conditions, I don't know what is!).

What's the big deal?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #42
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
And I'm looking forward to seeing you featured in Inside Broadcast.

Have a nice day dear.

You always make me laugh indra.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Funny, b/c I saw Bono speak at two DATA rallies in 2002 and there were a number of grassroots leaders present, as well as a "peasant" Ugandan HIV+ nurse giving her testimony and her opinions on what needs to be accomplished.

Oh, look! Bono, Agnes (the "peasant" woman):

What's this? Bono in Africa, meeting with peasants and grassroots orgs!

Please no facts, FatBrat is not interested in those.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #44
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Jeffrey Sachs' son posts on this forum
Bet he's having a good laugh right about now...

Old 10-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #45
Refugee

Humph. If you read Sach's book you will find out that he tried to help Russia but nobody in Washington was even remotely interested. "Godless Russia" was to be left to rot, as this was where the heathenism began. The successes he had in other countries of Eastern Europe were thus not duplicated there. Even if he had been listened to, as he said, in other countries, they'd only been Communist for a couple decades. Russia, on the other hand, had been DCOmmunist for 3 generations +. When the system has taken that kind of insitutional hold, what works for one plave woukdn't work for another.

And yes, I agree, the complaining aobut people goes both ways. The conservatives on here can't stand it when we complain about Bono photo ps with Bush. Now, you can't stand Bono meeting with "liberal fascists"? We always get lectured on Bono being open-minded and being with both. That applies. To BOTH sides. You can dish it out but you can't take it can you???