The End of Poverty,Bono? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 08:49 AM
i'm going to sleep well believing that Bono knows more about Sachs and Africa and the world economy and helping people more than any of you complainers. it's not just that i believe in Bono from just who he is, but that he's persuaded everyone from pat robertson to bush to blair, mandela to kofi.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FatBratchney
I naively assumed that we are all intelligent and ADULT enough to skip the "fact-based critique"
I suppose this means everyone who objected to the vulgar and slanderous tone of your first post is a CHILD then?

The sad fact that you consider it "ADULT" to bypass fact-based critique in favor of reflexive frothing at the mouth about "parasites," and whether Bono still "seems to have a BRAIN," speaks volumes about your own maturity level.
Quote:
Bono is RICH enough to hop on Lear Jet,fly to India,Guatemala,Colombia,Nigeria,Indonesia and confer with some REAL PEOPLE at the grass roots.

WHY does he choose this apologist of Capitalism?
Knock knock. Why is Bono rich enough to hop on a Lear Jet to begin with? Hint: it's not because he thinks all his own wealth ought to be confiscated and redistributed by the state.

There are many legitimate reasons to take a skeptical view of Sachs and the likely outcome of his partnership with Bono. Unfortunately, you seem determined to sabotage all constructive discussion of them.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #18
Banned

I don't think I'm being too harsh when I say Bono's ego is NOT commensurate with his social/political/economic insight.

Its one thing to sing something that lends itself to the appearance of a "protest song"-its quite another to get down and DIRTY, SEE-FEEL-SMELL the bitter end of Sachs economic formulae in countries like Bolivia or Russia.

I would expect MORE from someone who clearly feels that he is some kind of cultural beacon of "social consciousness".

Its too bad that these English pop stars always end up sounding just as stupid as middle class house wife.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Fat--your tone is condesending and disrespectful. I will not respond in kind, in the hopes that this might provide you a space in which to engage this discussion in a more productive manner, since this thread has the potential to be fascinating and since I KNOW this subject to be vitally important to the "two thirds world".

May I assume from your "apologist of capitalism" comment that you're a Marxist? Or would I be incorrect? Is Bono's defense specifically inadequate, or would any defense of capitalism be?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Knock knock. Why is Bono rich enough to hop on a Lear Jet to begin with? Hint: it's not because he thinks all his own wealth ought to be confiscated and redistributed by the state.[/B]

Oh-I see.

Bono is a neo-conservative.

Whatever you say,las.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:49 AM
FatBrachtney - I'm assuming from your post count that you're new here. As a moderator, let me welcome you to Interference and to FYM. Please keep in mind that we do try to keep our debates here civil and productive, and yes that includes fact-based critique over name calling and bashing. Merci.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
May I assume from your "apologist of capitalism" comment that you're a Marxist? Or would I be incorrect? [/B]
Incorrect.

I assume you are dismissive of anything that veers from the neo-liberal status quo?

I will have no further comments.

Don't want to give the moderator an excuse to narrow the margins of debate on YET ANOTHER board.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:49 AM
FB--Sula is doing her job. If you can't clearly express your opinions in a way that is not rude and dismissive, very few of us will be interested. Your behavior is moving into the realm of trollish. Understand I am referring not to the CONTENT of your opinions but your attitude towards each poster you have responded to thus far. Be assured no one has been kicked off this board for the content of their opinions, to my knowledge.

I did not assume you were a Marxist (and there is nothing wrong with that, many of my colleagues and professors are)--if I had made that assumption, I wouldn't have bothered to ask in an effort to engage you in an interesting debate.

Its funny that you ask about my stance on neoliberalism. I am currently in the middle of a PhD thesis explaining why I believe neoliberal policies are so disasterous. LOL.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Incorrect.

I assume you are dismissive of anything that veers from the neo-liberal status quo?

I will have no further comments.

Don't want to give the moderator an excuse to narrow the margins of debate on YET ANOTHER board.
The debate becomes narrow when posters decide to fill their posts with irrelevent insults.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Its too bad that these English pop stars always end up sounding just as stupid as middle class house wife.

Paul Hewson, aka Bono, is Irish.

You've really done your research, haven't you?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:53 AM   #26
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:

We have rules here, and they are pretty simple. Debate your opinions without personally attacking or insulting others, especially moderators. If you cant do that, you will not be welcome here.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Paul Hewson, aka Bono, is Irish.

You've really done your research, haven't you?
I guess not.
I'm sure you scored high marks on your dissertation of "Birth Places of Pop Stars".

ppppppffffff

Get me out of this teen message board....
Old 10-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:

Get me out of this teen message board....
Teen?

Oh well, bye!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure you scored high marks on your dissertation of "Birth Places of Pop Stars".
oooooooooh....SNAP!

Old 10-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict