The End of American Economic Dominance? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Contrary to the surface impression, business must care about the "quality of life" issues for an employee in order to maximize the productivity of an employee.
They clearly don't care. They pass off shitty benefits and pay, along with longer hours, and we're so stupid that we take it.

Melon

Old 07-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Well. Melon, that's what the labor movement was for a century ago. What unions were (are) for.

And now, some people think that "reform" to be in sync with the "free market economy" will produce positive results in "quality of life" for them. They think that Big Labor is sooooo yesterday;s news. So they decide to break away from the AFL-CIO.

Oh, the irony, the irony....how long will these "rebels" for "Big Change" realize that the new boss is the same as the old boss?

Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

The AFL-CIO is a failed organization.

I think that unions forming a new organization might lead the AFL-CIO reform itself, just as when the CIO splintered in 1938. They re-merged in 1955, I think.

Right now, the AFL-CIO is more interested in politics than union organizing, and now we can see the end result: 8% of labor is unionized versus 38% in the mid-1950s.

Melon
Old 07-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #19
Refugee

Because they were interested in "politics'? Tell me more. I'm curious.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #20
Refugee

I've just read the Fortune article. And anyone seriously THINKS of doing away with affirmative action? Are they NUTS? We need every professional worker we can find, we can't be bothered right now with hangups about quotas etc.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:45 AM

Speaking of the AFL-CIO, anyone else reading about the boycott? I posted the article in another tread...be interested to hear what you all think.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

They clearly don't care. They pass off shitty benefits and pay, along with longer hours, and we're so stupid that we take it.

Melon
"Bad pay and benefits" - is that relative to other jobs, the same job in other countries, or some absolute standard of what should be paid?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
"Bad pay and benefits" - is that relative to other jobs, the same job in other countries, or some absolute standard of what should be paid?
That's relative to the same job in this same country a few years back. We're expected to work more hours, due to downsizing. "Increased worker productivity." We're also expected to take salary deductions to pay for our health care that was once a free benefit. Nowadays, we pay more for less when it comes to health care.

Melon
Old 07-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

That's relative to the same job in this same country a few years back. We're expected to work more hours, due to downsizing. "Increased worker productivity." We're also expected to take salary deductions to pay for our health care that was once a free benefit. Nowadays, we pay more for less when it comes to health care.

Melon
forget a few years ago. I pay more for single coverage insurance now than I did last Oct..with much less benefits - which is not suprising but every time a customer says it's nice to talk to a "live" person, I cringe because I know it probably won't last out the year with the merger going thru. The next ax to fall will be outsourcing and downsizing .. again.