the draft - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...3_draft13.html
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0313-07.htm
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...or/8189863.htm
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/5252_5...?menu=menu5296

Old 05-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #17
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Thank you for the information!

Old 05-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 06:12 PM
I'm eligible and I would go if my country needed me but I wouldn't want to go
Old 05-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #19
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
The thing is, how do you define your country 'needing' you? Do you think you should be forced to fight and die for questionable causes you might not support, that most of the world is against, that really have nothing to do with America at all, just because 'your country' tells you to? If this country were invaded by someone we would all fight to defend our homes, but I can understand people not wanting to potentially lose their lives for things like Vietnam and the current situation in Iraq. It is also true that not every person is they type who would be compatible with military service or battle and no one should be forced to go against their will. My son is not the kind of person who would make any kind of a soldier, and what good does it do anyone to send a person like that to their certain death when there is some other good they could do at home?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
The thing is, how do you define your country 'needing' you? Do you think you should be forced to fight and die for questionable causes you might not support, that most of the world is against, that really have nothing to do with America at all, just because 'your country' tells you to? If this country were invaded by someone we would all fight to defend our homes, but I can understand people not wanting to potentially lose their lives for things like Vietnam and the current situation in Iraq. It is also true that not every person is they type who would be compatible with military service or battle and no one should be forced to go against their will. My son is not the kind of person who would make any kind of a soldier, and what good does it do anyone to send a person like that to their certain death when there is some other good they could do at home?
#1 There are actually people in this country who are opposed to all violence and would not defend their own homes if attacked.

#2 Being drafted or serving does not mean a person is being sent to a "certain death". You are certainly taking on a risk for your country.

#3 The All Volunteer military would be expanded before a draft was brought back. The current all volunteer military force is half in size of the all volunteer military force that fought the first Gulf War. It is possible that several hundred thousand troops will be added to the all Volunteer military. Still, even if the military does add these troops, they are not going back to the levels seen in 1990.

#4 As the difficult process of development in Iraq continues, more Iraqi's will become trained as policeman and soldiers, there by reducing the burden placed on Coalition forces. Once elections happen and the Iraqi forces are better able to handle the insurgents, US and coalition forces will be able to gradually start withdrawing.

The draft is not comming back. There is simply no chance of it. There are only a handful of congressman out of hundreds who support it. The military does not want to see the draft. They would like more money to expand the all volunteer military though.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #21
War Child

How can you expand the all volunteer force without conscripting new volunteers?

If anyone would not even defend their own home, they're going to see violence anyway, their own demise. Ever see The Blue and The Gray, where John was the son who would not take sides and would not bear arms, but in the end when his parent's home was being attacked, he did pick up a gun. That's how I feel, that's what I think most of us would do, even pacifists.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:22 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
How can you expand the all volunteer force without conscripting new volunteers?

If anyone would not even defend their own home, they're going to see violence anyway, their own demise. Ever see The Blue and The Gray, where John was the son who would not take sides and would not bear arms, but in the end when his parent's home was being attacked, he did pick up a gun. That's how I feel, that's what I think most of us would do, even pacifists.
#1 The All Volunteer force is just that, it is made up of all volunteers. One does not conscript or draft someone that has already volunteered for service. You get more volunteers, through more advertizing, recruiting, increasing pay and benefits etc.

The Active duty All Volunteer military had 2.2 million members in 1990. After the Cold War and First Gulf War, the active military was reduced to 1.4 million over a number of years in the 1990s. The all Volunteer military has been increased and decreased several times over the past 30 years in conjunction with the needs of the country. The system has worked well and has produced the greatest military the United States has ever fielded.

#2 True Pacifist do not use any violence at all and avoid conflict at all cost. The Amish in Pennsylvania have practiced this for centurys among several other things.

Also, many would say waiting until your own home is on fire to actually act is simply acting to late. This is why ever since World War II, the United States and many of its Allies have been heavily engaged worldwide in taking on problems before they develop into problems or situations that are much worse.

If the Allies had acted against Germany in the 1930s as Hitler came to power, World War II in Europe could have been prevented.