The Devils - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-01-2003, 12:27 PM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 11:59 AM
At the same time, I think it is irresponsible to shelter one's children to excessive levels. The parody of Ned Flanders' children, Rod and Todd, is what you end up getting--sheltered, socially inept children who cannot relate to the world around them. "There is an appropriate time for everything," as Ecclesiastes goes, and I think that such programming is a great time to explain "context" to older children and young adults, who will, soon enough, grow up and be on their own in the real world, inundated with these same images, and I've seen enough people who grew up with well-intentioned parents who, once they hit college, went overboard with the novelty of these "forbidden" messages. Just because people see violence or sacriligeous imagery, it doesn't mean that they are violent or atheist people. That's where context is invaluable, and I'm thankful that I wasn't sheltered from too much when I became old enough to understand things.

Of course, for young children, it probably isn't appropriate at all, but I think that is a given.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:41 PM   #17
Local Time: 03:59 PM
Though I can sympathize with the problems parents may have with supervising what children see, it does not follow that the rest of society should be punished simply because certain children don't listen to their parents and 'sneak' down to watch tv during forbidden hours - that logic does not follow.

The film was presented rather late (at 11 pm, if I recall correctly), and that in itself shows consideration for children. Public television means exactly that, 'public' television, and it is not simply catering for the needs of children and families. Society is composed of more than simply children; why should the rest of society (ie - consenting adults) be deprived of choice? It is their choice to see what they want, and it is not for the government, or anybody else, to think for them.

I am completely against any system or government that endorses censorship of any kind, I have lived with it all my life, and it is a truly negative thing.

Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'