The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:00 AM
They only recently introduced Jon Stewart to Canadian Television (CTV) so I'm a late convert but a loyal one now! The Brits and Canadians have had similar shows for years but it's nice to see the Americans on board now too.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
Anyway, love the show, This Week in God has got to be my favorite segment!

Yeah, me too. I'm still laughing about Israel's All-Saturday Pork-a-torium.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I only started watching this show recently, after hearing so many people rave about it. I love it already! I totally agree Bono should be a guest.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:00 AM
My thing about Bono smacking Jon was a bit of a joke, just to clarify. I think John Henson is much funnier, and underrated.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 03:00 PM
I've been watching this show since Jon Stewart took it over. Love the Stewart, but my favorite is Stephen Colbert (his Colbert Report is soooo dead-on in its parody of O'Reilly). I also liked the Even Stevens segment they had before Steve Carrell left the show.

CNN has announced that Crossfire will be off the air soon....and I wonder if it had something to do with Jon Stewart's appearance on the show? The producer's reasoning for taking the show off the air (which was probably CNN's decision, not his) echoed Stewart's reasons for hating the show quite a bit....
Old 01-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That "comedian" has become too powerful for our own good, referring to the Crossfire announcement.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I really miss the Daily Show.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
That "comedian" has become too powerful for our own good, referring to the Crossfire announcement.
Why? Stewart was dead-on with what he said. Crossfire and shows like it are totally meaningless. It's people shouting at each other. You're not getting any new news. All you're getting is people with big egos re-itterating the same left-right political views everyone in the country already knows about. Utterly pointless.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Why? Stewart was dead-on with what he said. Crossfire and shows like it are totally meaningless. It's people shouting at each other. You're not getting any new news. All you're getting is people with big egos re-itterating the same left-right political views everyone in the country already knows about. Utterly pointless.
You state your views on debate shows quite well, although I feel a little different about them in some respects. When I hear a news story, I often wonder what the conservatives and the liberals are going to say about it. To me, that's news too. People make the news because of how they feel about a certain issue. It may be a lot of big-ego on debate shows, no doubt about it, but for me it's better than watching Jon Stewart suck up to John Kerry. Not exactly my idea of comedy. Not exactly my idea of news, either.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Not exactly my idea of news, either.
and that's his point exactly.

Love him - never miss him and even when I do, I catch the repeat the next night.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think of Jon Stewart as a political figure long before I consider him a comedian.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #27
Refugee

The Daily Show is most definately one of the best shows on TV today. Cheers for the Daily Show.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:00 AM
unfortunately i havent kept up with the daily show in the last year and a half mostly cause i have no cable back home, but before moving i watched it every night!1 one of my favorite shows, i loved "back in black" and "even stevens" !!!
jon stewart rocks!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:44 AM   #29
The Fly

Not to get too off topic here, but the whole idea of punditry is rather ridiculous. I mean, the democrats and the republicans send out their people to beat the party line to make it seem that there is only two very separate and distinct ways to look at an issue. In reality, there's a lot of nuance in each major political issue, and a 4-minute segment on any show does not indicate that. And the separate ideas that they claim to have, really, mask the fact that there's more in common between republicans and dems than either would like the general public to believe.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

GULFPORT, Miss. - Library officials in two southern Mississippi counties have banned Jon Stewart's best-selling "America (The Book)" over the satirical textbook's nude depictions of the nine U.S. Supreme Court justices.

"I've been a librarian for 40 years and this is the only book I've objected to so strongly that I wouldn't allow it to circulate," said Robert Willits, director of the Jackson-George Regional Library System of eight libraries in Jackson and George counties.

"We're not an adult bookstore. Our entire collection is open to the entire public," Willits said. "If they had published the book without that one picture, that one page, we'd have the book."

Wal-Mart has declined to stock the book because of the page, which features the faces of the nine Supreme Court justices superimposed over naked bodies. The facing page has cutouts of the justices' robes, complete with a caption asking readers to "restore their dignity by matching each justice with his or her respective robe."

The book by Stewart and the writers of "The Daily Show," the Comedy Central fake-news program he hosts, was released in September. It has spent 15 weeks on The New York Times best seller list for hardcover nonfiction, and was named Book of the Year by Publishers Weekly, the industry trade magazine.

Former English teacher Tara Skelton of Ocean Springs said the libraries shouldn't decide what is in poor taste.

"It just really seemed kind of silly to me," she said. "I don't think the Supreme Court justices have filed any defamation of character or libel suits. It's humor."