The Cult of Obama - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
honestly, my worry about Obama is safety.

it really is.
Safety, in terms of National Security?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
The Obama campaign all too often is about how wonderful the Obama campaign is.
I agree with that, and that's my only problem with it.

The media and some of his supporters are carried away in their worship of him, if he is the candidate I hope both will get past all of that and start demanding more of him and his campaign. There's no doubt in my mind that the media has been tougher on Senator Clinton than they have on him.

I've said it here before, but he has a long way to go before he can be compared to John Kennedy. If I were him I would reject that unless and until I could live up to it.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Media in general these days struggles to be objective because people 'pay' to see, read and hear opinions. News in the political realm these days just naturally bleeds over into editorialsim.

It's not a conspiracy, generally speaking they are just sympathetic to him.

If that's because of ideaology or because he's the hottest story to sell, it doesn't change the fact that he's been given all but a free pass.

Imagine Obama getting the same coverage that Mitt Romney has received, this place would be coming off the hinges.

I don't beleive in a large liberal media bias because, to a right winger, the truth often has a liberal tilt. What I think is a pretty objective answer is that the media will flock to the most sensational story. If they happen to be caught up in a storm of inspiration (inspired by ideaology or excitement) then I think it's just compounded. I think in this case, it exists beyond any conspiracy of any kind.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I agree with that, and that's my only problem with it.

The media and some of his supporters are carried away in their worship of him, if he is the candidate I hope both will get past all of that and start demanding more of him and his campaign. There's no doubt in my mind that the media has been tougher on Senator Clinton than they have on him.

I've said it here before, but he has a long way to go before he can be compared to John Kennedy. If I were him I would reject that unless and until I could live up to it.
I agree also. Blind worship of him or any politician is wrong. Although, I think it's important to note that Obama hasn't perpetuated or aligned himself with these particular statements. He, like any candidate, can't really control how his supporters and detractrors respond to him. Obama, in every speech and interview I've read or seen with him has said he came as the underdog and still is. He believes he has the ability to win the campaign, which is an essential part of being a candidate, but I've yet to see him trying to paint himself as the next Kennedy or even the front-runner in this race.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I know that he's not painting himself as the next Kennedy, I would never say he's doing that. But he approves the messages like they all say, and that Caroline Kennedy commercial certainly conveys that message.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Quote:
this is also why Kennedy beat Nixon in 1960. he just looked better on TV. it's how it is, and sobbing about some sort of "liberal" media -- which is a fabrication -- really isn't a good way to deal with reality and to support your candidate.
My dad told me just the other day that my grandmother voted for Kennedy because he was better looking.

Anyhow, for me this is not about liberal media.
I see a bias when only talking about the Dems.

These generalities are never good because there are always plenty of exceptions. I use 'media' for sake of ease, what I mean is a decent chunk of the media. Mostly I'm talking about certain blogs, websites and most specifically MSNBC and CNN.

Studies should be taken for what they are worth (up to each individual) but there have been at least two studies that have shown that Obama gets a lot more favorable coverage than Clinton. They also show both Dems get favorable coverage more often than any Reps, so I'm sure this will not get much credibility around here. As far as comparing similar ideaologies, what exactly would be the natural bias? Pro-Clinton? Hardly. There isn't much of anything Pro-Clinton anywhere these days but in a voting booth.

I just want to make clear, because I'm pro-Clinton, that I don't think any of this is in any way the fault of Obama and perhaps because I'm sympathetic to her, things seem to magnify themselves. I'd still argue of a pro-Obama bias, even in light of this.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I know that he's not painting himself as the next Kennedy, I would never say he's doing that. But he approves the messages like they all say, and that Caroline Kennedy commercial certainly conveys that message.
I haven't seen the commerical you're talking about, but I do know that in the op-ed piece that Caroline wrote she really talked Obama up and compared him to her father. Obama, I'm sure, could ask her to tone down the comparisons, but in the cutthroat culture of politics that our country has fostered it's almost impossible to win without this often unwarranted high praise. I blame us as voters moreso that I would any candidate for that.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

What? The media is actively rooting for Obama.
Not really - I've seen attempts to marginalize him as the "black candidate" and debates where he gets tougher questions than say, Hillary.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Well the Kennedys are from MA and Senator Clinton won MA, so it didn't work in MA. It's not just the Kennedy thing. I like the man VERY much but it's easy to get swept away by the idea of a person vs the reality. I've done it often enough myself to know, not about politicians but it is a similar concept.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Well the Kennedys are from MA and Senator Clinton won MA, so it didn't work in MA. It's not just the Kennedy thing. I like the man VERY much but it's easy to get swept away by the idea of a person vs the reality. I've done it often enough myself to know, not about politicians but it is a similar concept.
You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, I think that's the case for a large number of American voters. Most people are just too wrapped up in their cute suburban lives to pay attention to the real issues in this country and find out where the candidates stand on them. Then, when it comes to vote they pick the person they like the best as though they're voting for "Most Popular" back in 12th grade. It's not a wonder real change is difficult to effect in our country.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Safety, in terms of National Security?

his own personal safety.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

How so?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:35 PM
I saw elsewhere on the 'net people expressing concerns that Obama would be likely to be assassinated.

Maybe I'm too naive and rosy-eyed, but I don't see it as that big of a concern.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

his own personal safety.
I actually have had that thought cross my mind too, but I'm hoping we have much better security for our presidents now than we did at that time. I think the Kennedy assassanation really woke the country and the government up to the fact that our leaders are far from invincible.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

his own personal safety.
When people start bringing up RFK, I get this uneasy feeling too.