The creative spirit....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So artists, writers ... (successful, struggling, hopeful, or I got the idea written in my notebook, but I can't seem to do anything with it)

Tell us about your art, your current or most recent project, or the project you are dying to work on. What's your creative process,
the problems you encounter, your style, a favorite character you've created, etc.?

i am writing a script for a movie me and a group of friends will be shooting next year (if i can just finish the damn thing)

im not really an artist, i can see myself more as the producer of the movie, since ill be doing that too :wink:

its about some really nasty college kids, a story of love, hatred and betrayal... :huh:

"I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn"

Ah, art. I once heard a great quote and it fits perfectly with my complete lack of faith in myself. But it goes something like 'anyone can write and be an author, but it takes talent to be a writer. Anyone can paint or draw, but it takes talent to be an artist.'

Anyway, I paint and draw, or try to. A long time ago I copied a lot of things. I looked at what I liked and appropriated style from my favourite sources. It was good for a while, and it certainly allowed me to develop technical skill. It did little though, for encouraging my own ideas and imagination. I think inspiration is one of the key things many find missing. I know it's been my biggest hurdle. I'm studying Fine Arts at the moment and I honestly think it has to be one of the most useless qualifications one can have. But I'm not doing it for some lofty dream of getting discovered and one day selling it for a supplemented living. I'm doing it because art to me is therapy. It's my religion. It's my one true passion. Through my course, I'm expanding my interests too. I have compulsory modules which I need to do to pass, but among them I am discovering the joys of ceramics and handforming. I'm discovering that printmaking is not for me - etching plates have to be the most tedious and mindnumbing process man ever created. I know now how to develop film and print negatives in B&W. I can draw a spine and when drawing a figure, can now see how the muscles underneath form our shape. Useless, entirely. But there's no seperating me from any of this. It is as much a part of me, as religion or sport or music is to others. I'm rambling lol.

My next ceramics project is going to be a 3 part inter-related set of 'containers' which fit together to form a human figure. Slab-built :up: My next painting series is going to be heavily based on religion and will probably offend anyone with such affiliations so I wont bother describing it lol. But I'm really excited about this one. I've got some assignments coming up in other things which I'm lacking ideas for, but they'll come. I've completely not answered this how you wanted, I feel :lol:

I'm not currently working on a painting at home. I have to wait until the next payday for a trip to the art supply store (this stuff ain't cheap). At the studio, I'm working on a window piece that's going to be sort of like the "Surrealistic Window" thingie on my art site. I recently sold a painting, an adaptation of Marc Chagall's "Rain" (which just happens to be my avatar!), to some corporate big shots, Energen, the Alabama Gas Company. That opens the door to more picture sales, I should do great at the big show in July.

Last edited:
I'm jealous that you're all so creative/artistic, I've never had any artistic talent.

I like photography, once in a while I can take a decent picture. Maybe we should post some of our stuff here, that would be interesting.

this is actually the place Bono was yesterday for the book signing, sadly I didn't get to go

343%3A258323232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D86%3B%3D52%3C%3Dxroqdf%3E2323344%3C74989ot1lsi

343%3A258323232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2323%3D63%3A%3D86%3A%3D323263%3A77976%3Cnu0mrj

343%3A258323232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3235%3E77%3A%3E43%3B%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324%3A5899399nu0mrj

the RHOF

343%3A258323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D86%3B%3D52%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2323456689743ot1lsi

i've given up on writing, because it seems to have given up on me

(i'm suffering from a very serious case of writer's block right now)

it's so frustrating

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'm jealous that you're all so creative/artistic, I've never had any artistic talent.

after seeing those pictures i'd have to disagree

nice work mrs springsteen :up:

When i worked in the police department, I'd come home and write music for hours and hours. Now that I design web sites for a living, all my creativity is used in that way, and I don't have much left for other things.

bonosgirl84 said:
i've given up on writing, because it seems to have given up on me

(i'm suffering from a very serious case of writer's block right now)

it's so frustrating

:hug:

I was just going to post something similar.

I've always said I wanted to be a writer in some capacity since I could remember, and even dabbled in the freelance thing back about six years ago, but a combination of having to work for a living :)down: ) and general lack of faith in my writing has made it difficult. I even joined a writer's circle earlier this year, which was fun for a bit, but in the past few months I've kind of dropped off from them. :slant:

I'll try to explain myself... since I'm not good writing in english :)...

Ok. I draw since I remember and I become an illustrator, now I'm drawing and painting for children books and I would like to start to write my own books too.

I learnt to draw watching tv :D.. the anime series and the movies of Tim Burton has influenced me a lot, but when I went to college I discovered artists like Dave Mckean, Moebius, Isidro Ferrer, Alan lee... I learned not only more techniques but different ways to interpretate and tell stories. I started to read comics and I try to apply some of their dinamics in my drawings. In photography I like to work with fiction, photography is not just a mirror of reality is also an instrument to give life to our mental inventions (thanks Fontcuberta :bow:)

I like to experiment with the traditional techniques (watercolors, acrilics, oils.... ) and I like to build little dioramas with paper and clay and take photos to them, that's how I did my last big project: a book for children based on a Jules verne's novel. Now i'm trying to promote that book in Mexico and some publishing houses here, I hope to publish my book soon.

My style is a mix of a lot of things... maybe is more easy for others than for myself to describe it, but i can say that is dark, with cold colors, a lot of texture, and big light contrasts, influenced by the stuff of Tim Burton and Melies' movies. I feel that there's a lot of things to discover and my style will evolve to new forms I guess.

Now i'm a ilustration workshop with great people and new challenges. it has been hard for me cuz we have to do books for the littlest readers 4 to 8 years old) and I use to work for older kids so I have to considerate their visual skills.

Last edited:
I'd love to be a writer....I have about zero self-confidence in doing that though...:sigh:

My father's had a couple books published. Albeit they were more on the scientific end...but it's still kinda intimidating....

:huh:

I have written a novel which is about 65% finished. I would like to get it published but I don't know anything about publishing. If anyone out there has any advice on publishing, please let me know.

I'm a writer, mostly non-fiction. Writing non-fiction can be a very creative process. I love it. I'm the contributing editor to Milwaukee Yoga Magazine. I'm currently working on three articles-one on a new yoga studio in Milwaukee's Third Ward, one on a free class that is offered by Riverwest YogaShala, and an instructor profile on a local yoga teacher schooled in the Baron Baptiste method.

Angela Harlem, you answered my questions in exactly the way I wanted. I really enjoyed your post and am actually pretty excited about your projects.

Mrs. Springsteen, what great pictures. You have a wonderful eye.
I would love such an eye.

Muggsy, you're actually the reason I started this thread. I got intrigued when you were talking about your influences. Would love to see some of your work.

I'd love to see some of everybody's work. Verte?

Having absolutely no eye (except appreciative), no ear and absolutely no hand eye coordination or visual artistic imagination
(one of my art teachers held up one of my drawings in another class as an example of bad art :| and one of my "friends" was "kind" enough to tell me :| ) , I write. Not as often as I used to and not the great dramatic work I wanted to, but I like some of the characters I create. I just can't weave it together in one work. So I can sympathize with the frustrated writers on board, but I figure if you create one character you like or story you like, you've got some kind of gift even if it never sees the light of day.
But I can go months or even years without writing anything at all and I have half a dozen half started novels. I'm hoping one day just to finish one for myself to say I did it. Tell me why you want to write.

I enjoy parody though. Mrs. Springsteen was nice enough to read a parody/spoof I posted in Pleba Fan Fiction :ohmy: about Bono being kidnapped by the IRA. Parody's a pleasure for me when my imagination gets captured by someone or something, although to be honest, Bono's pretty easy to parody.

Please keep posting and don't be too hard on yourselves. Unless you're a professional or want to be, it's all just play anyway.

bonosgirl84 said:

nice work mrs springsteen :up:

I agree. What I think is really nice is the one in which the dew on the leaves can be seen. Nice job.

MrsSpringsteen also did my avatar, I think that type of work does take creativity. I think you have a very good eye.

I personally paint, write music, play guitar and sing, and am currently writing a film(although it's taking me forever). I'm sorta your typical creative ADD type.

starsgoblue said:

Do 'creative' types usually have ADD? I've always wondered if I had that....:scratch:

The doctors that I've talked to about it, say that ADD is very prevelant in creative types. They also cautioned me that some treatments for ADD may "hinder" the creative process. And sometimes there's a thin line between society's defintion of ADD and medical ADD. I've actually been placed under electrodes and analysis for my ADD.

I've always enjoyed creative writing and would love to write a fully-fledged fantasy novel one day. For now I'm writing a piece of fanfiction based on the worlds of Ultima, my favourite computer role-playing game series. The main problem I usually have with writing, apart from lack of inspiration, is that my perfectionist streak leads me to turn the sentences and words I write over and over and OVER in my head which makes the whole process painfully slow.

The most recent work that I have actually completed was an artwork I did with different bits of luxurious dress fabrics. It's about A1 in size and shows a woman in a medieval-style dress with black hair (made of velvet) streaming behind her. She looks very much like PJ Harvey because I borrowed the photograph from the back of her "Dry" album for the facial features, :)

I now want to create another "fabric" artwork, but this time make it a lot more detailed and intricate. This time I want to base it on the absolutely stunning screenshot from "Kingdom of Heaven" I found on the net, which has King Baldwin IV riding in front of his army (I also used it for my avatar). I really love doing embroidery and beads and all this sort of fiddly work.

You guys are all so nice, tks so much :) I know nothing about photography, I just do it for fun and relaxation.

Yes that was an excellent Bono parody you wrote Bonos Saint, you should repost it here, it's so funny. I'd love to read anyone else's writing or see your artwork, etc.

The flowers in my picture are called Bells Of Ireland

heres a photoshop thingy i made from a picture of my boyfriend
romano.jpg

heres random pics ive taken ..digitally of course
Life.jpg

here are pictures of photos [hence the glare and the bluriness] i actually had to manually process the negatives and enlarge them etc... its quite a drag but an enjoyable process alltogether..
IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

sorry for psoting so much, :reject:
this one is tooo big:huh: and the bottom is all crooked:mad:
343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D646%3D%3C95%3DXROQDF%3E232366674%3C868ot1lsi

these are my old school artwork...
so its at least 3 or 4 years old
343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E555%3E%3B%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D323273%3A56%3A3%3A6nu0mrj

343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D646%3D%3C95%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3C6563694ot1lsi

Not really artwork but also from a highschool project
343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D646%3D%3C95%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3C656369%3Aot1lsi

343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E555%3E%3B%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D32326%3B7472783nu0mrj

Last edited:
MORE OLD WORK
343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D646%3D%3C95%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3C6563687ot1lsi

hehehe, i was broke for my moms bday 3 years ago so i painted this and she liekd it enough to get ot framed:huh:
343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D646%3D%3C95%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3C6563685ot1lsi

i dont know who this is....:wink:
343%3A3%3A5923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D646%3D%3C95%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3C6563684ot1lsi

sorry for posting so much....

im totally having an "Artist block" i cant seem to come up with anything these last 2 months and everything i attempt looks like crap:down:

I lack any semblance of creativity; but I am developing an appreciation for baroque and classical music. I am working my way forward in time.

Back
Top Bottom