The creative spirit.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 03:20 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:09 PM
The creative spirit....

So artists, writers ... (successful, struggling, hopeful, or I got the idea written in my notebook, but I can't seem to do anything with it)

Tell us about your art, your current or most recent project, or the project you are dying to work on. What's your creative process,
the problems you encounter, your style, a favorite character you've created, etc.?

Old 05-25-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:09 PM
i am writing a script for a movie me and a group of friends will be shooting next year (if i can just finish the damn thing)

im not really an artist, i can see myself more as the producer of the movie, since ill be doing that too

its about some really nasty college kids, a story of love, hatred and betrayal...

Old 05-25-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:09 AM
"I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn"

Ah, art. I once heard a great quote and it fits perfectly with my complete lack of faith in myself. But it goes something like 'anyone can write and be an author, but it takes talent to be a writer. Anyone can paint or draw, but it takes talent to be an artist.'

Anyway, I paint and draw, or try to. A long time ago I copied a lot of things. I looked at what I liked and appropriated style from my favourite sources. It was good for a while, and it certainly allowed me to develop technical skill. It did little though, for encouraging my own ideas and imagination. I think inspiration is one of the key things many find missing. I know it's been my biggest hurdle. I'm studying Fine Arts at the moment and I honestly think it has to be one of the most useless qualifications one can have. But I'm not doing it for some lofty dream of getting discovered and one day selling it for a supplemented living. I'm doing it because art to me is therapy. It's my religion. It's my one true passion. Through my course, I'm expanding my interests too. I have compulsory modules which I need to do to pass, but among them I am discovering the joys of ceramics and handforming. I'm discovering that printmaking is not for me - etching plates have to be the most tedious and mindnumbing process man ever created. I know now how to develop film and print negatives in B&W. I can draw a spine and when drawing a figure, can now see how the muscles underneath form our shape. Useless, entirely. But there's no seperating me from any of this. It is as much a part of me, as religion or sport or music is to others. I'm rambling lol.

My next ceramics project is going to be a 3 part inter-related set of 'containers' which fit together to form a human figure. Slab-built My next painting series is going to be heavily based on religion and will probably offend anyone with such affiliations so I wont bother describing it lol. But I'm really excited about this one. I've got some assignments coming up in other things which I'm lacking ideas for, but they'll come. I've completely not answered this how you wanted, I feel
Old 05-25-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:09 PM
I'm not currently working on a painting at home. I have to wait until the next payday for a trip to the art supply store (this stuff ain't cheap). At the studio, I'm working on a window piece that's going to be sort of like the "Surrealistic Window" thingie on my art site. I recently sold a painting, an adaptation of Marc Chagall's "Rain" (which just happens to be my avatar!), to some corporate big shots, Energen, the Alabama Gas Company. That opens the door to more picture sales, I should do great at the big show in July.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 PM
I'm jealous that you're all so creative/artistic, I've never had any artistic talent.

I like photography, once in a while I can take a decent picture. Maybe we should post some of our stuff here, that would be interesting.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

this is actually the place Bono was yesterday for the book signing, sadly I didn't get to go

the RHOF

Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:09 PM
i've given up on writing, because it seems to have given up on me

(i'm suffering from a very serious case of writer's block right now)

it's so frustrating
Old 05-25-2005, 06:54 AM   #8
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'm jealous that you're all so creative/artistic, I've never had any artistic talent.
after seeing those pictures i'd have to disagree

nice work mrs springsteen
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

When i worked in the police department, I'd come home and write music for hours and hours. Now that I design web sites for a living, all my creativity is used in that way, and I don't have much left for other things.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

thanks bonosgirl, I appreciate the compliment

Most of my pictures are crap though
Old 05-25-2005, 07:57 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
i've given up on writing, because it seems to have given up on me

(i'm suffering from a very serious case of writer's block right now)

it's so frustrating

I was just going to post something similar.

I've always said I wanted to be a writer in some capacity since I could remember, and even dabbled in the freelance thing back about six years ago, but a combination of having to work for a living ( ) and general lack of faith in my writing has made it difficult. I even joined a writer's circle earlier this year, which was fun for a bit, but in the past few months I've kind of dropped off from them.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
I'll try to explain myself... since I'm not good writing in english ...

Ok. I draw since I remember and I become an illustrator, now I'm drawing and painting for children books and I would like to start to write my own books too.

I learnt to draw watching tv .. the anime series and the movies of Tim Burton has influenced me a lot, but when I went to college I discovered artists like Dave Mckean, Moebius, Isidro Ferrer, Alan lee... I learned not only more techniques but different ways to interpretate and tell stories. I started to read comics and I try to apply some of their dinamics in my drawings. In photography I like to work with fiction, photography is not just a mirror of reality is also an instrument to give life to our mental inventions (thanks Fontcuberta )

I like to experiment with the traditional techniques (watercolors, acrilics, oils.... ) and I like to build little dioramas with paper and clay and take photos to them, that's how I did my last big project: a book for children based on a Jules verne's novel. Now i'm trying to promote that book in Mexico and some publishing houses here, I hope to publish my book soon.

My style is a mix of a lot of things... maybe is more easy for others than for myself to describe it, but i can say that is dark, with cold colors, a lot of texture, and big light contrasts, influenced by the stuff of Tim Burton and Melies' movies. I feel that there's a lot of things to discover and my style will evolve to new forms I guess.

Now i'm a ilustration workshop with great people and new challenges. it has been hard for me cuz we have to do books for the littlest readers 4 to 8 years old) and I use to work for older kids so I have to considerate their visual skills.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I'd love to be a writer....I have about zero self-confidence in doing that though...

My father's had a couple books published. Albeit they were more on the scientific end...but it's still kinda intimidating....

Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:09 PM
I have written a novel which is about 65% finished. I would like to get it published but I don't know anything about publishing. If anyone out there has any advice on publishing, please let me know.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 08:09 PM
I'm a writer, mostly non-fiction. Writing non-fiction can be a very creative process. I love it. I'm the contributing editor to Milwaukee Yoga Magazine. I'm currently working on three articles-one on a new yoga studio in Milwaukee's Third Ward, one on a free class that is offered by Riverwest YogaShala, and an instructor profile on a local yoga teacher schooled in the Baron Baptiste method.