The Cost of Three Movie Tickets Per US Citizen could help fight AIDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]First, the U.S. must lead, but it must lead a global partnership of like-minded and intentioned international organizations and nations. The Bush initiative downplays international organizations like the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Global AIDS is a global threat. The U.S. cannot beat it alone. The Bush initiative provides the U.S. with the clout to assemble international partners to map out long-term goals for progress, a coordinated game plan for getting there, a global budget and pledges for the necessary funds. If the U.S. took that step, the world would have, for the very first time, a long-term strategy.

Second, a real strategy would mean a much greater commitment to building sustainable health infrastructure in the most acutely affected regions. Many of these countries have only the shells of national health systems. Without basic clinics, equipment, delivery services and the human capacity to manage and operate them, it will be impossible to do the testing, drug administration, counseling and nursing necessary to battle AIDS and other pressing health crises.

The World Health Organization estimates that with a global commitment - the proportional U.S. share of which would be roughly $10 billion per year, or the price of three movie tickets per American - to build sustainable health infrastructure, hundreds of billions of dollars might be saved in global economic production and 8 million lives might be saved per year.

Third, we need to vastly upgrade our commitment to develop an AIDS vaccine. Leading experts say that the prospect for an AIDS vaccine for the developing world in the next 10 years is extremely bleak. Yet the vaccine is our only hope of eliminating AIDS. The U.S. needs to double its budget for applied science. And we must create a comprehensive package of legislation to create market incentives for big pharmaceuticals, seed financing for biotech companies, and we have to reduce the liability associated with vaccines.

Finally, the U.S. and its international partners must put forth an aggressive diplomatic plan of engagement to press leaders of affected countries to act. Leadership - speaking openly and forcefully and mobilizing government and civil society - is still perhaps the most effective means of preventing new infections. Yet, leadership from many African and all the next-wave countries remains woefully inadequate.

[/Q]

http://www.cfr.org/pub7226/princeton_n_lyman_greg_behrman/the_global_aids_threat.php

your title...

Isn't sad what our "disposable income" in North America could go to in the rest of the world?

My titel came from a line in the article. Imagine what we could do with the money we spend on the popcorn and drinks.

Thanks, Dreadsox, for this GREAT and, hopefully, thought-provoking article.:wink:

The Global Fund (http://www.theglobalfund.org) is TRULY the most effective vehicle available right now to channel international monies to those countries who really need economic support to successfully fight AIDS, TB and malaria in their countries,:up:

The Global Fund has criteria that these countries must meet to receive the money and to continue to receive more money. So it does its best to make sure that the money it gives is well spent to improve the health conditions in recipient countries.

We can never know enough or care enough when it comes to the AIDS pandemic - it IS the unnecessary modern holocaust of an entire generation of the world's poorest people. :(

And I greatly respect anyone who is willing to help stop this scourge on humanity. :bow:

Right on, Dread. We need to focus on this. I think the AIDS pandemic is a security threat to the First World, I really do. People with many different political views, from both major parties have all said this.

I can't believe that a year & 1/2 has passed since President Bush announced a historic emergency plan for AIDS relief and it seems like nothing has changed. You would think that congress would push through things more quickly and results would be seen. Our country needs to do what ever it takes to turn things around.

I'm also disappointed not to hear President Bush speak of this issue frequently. It isn't in the news enough.

Hmmm, perhaps all of the letters & e-mails we send to government should also be sent to the media to make sure they report the facts daily. I wonder if that would change anything?

:up: Dread

My main bitch is that for the third year in a row Bush didn't fund the Women's Global Health fund even though Congress appropriated the money cause while they don't perform they may mention abortion as a possibility. The same with the gag rule. I hate the idea of abortion personally but this is the real test of separation of church and state. If my sixteen year old daughter got pregnant I would counsel abortion, the morning after pill is much more morally defensible because no embryo has latched onto the mothers blood supply. Therefore I find the prolife contigent without moral backbone.

ps I march against my local prolife shit. But if you ask them how many of these desirable children they adopted it equals -0-. Bitches

Imagine what Bono could have done with the $14 million he blew on a 2 bedroom apt. in NYC and the $100 grand he blew on his new Mazarati :sexywink:

Scarletwine said:
:The same with the gag rule. I hate the idea of abortion personally but this is the real test of separation of church and state.

How?? My beliefs that abortion is cold blooded premeditated murder are based on common sense and reality and have nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

:up: to Bush for giving NO MONEY to anyone mentioning abortions!! :applaud: :bow:

Okay, okay, I'm going, I'm going :reject:

BostonAnne said:

:down: What is the point of making such a comment?

Because the title of the thread made it appear we should feel guilty about having fun and spending our money when people are dying, and I'm only pointing out how extravagant Bono's spending is while preaching to us about movies and coffee cups (both of which I've heard him say myself with his own mouth) He already has the mansion in Dublin and the Villa in the South of France and wastes more in a year than I'll ever be worth. So I want to see him start putting his money where is mouth is like Bill Gates does or stop trying to lay guilt trips on average Americans. How about U2 donating a portion of some of their concerts on the next tour to African AIDS help? I mean, here we have fans donating to the African Well Fund and together we've built what, 2 dozen wells now? Think how many Bono could build at a cost that would be a drop in the bucket to him. How about he matches whatever we donate? And sell the NYC apt. and stay in the Plaza hotel or better yet the fucking Motel 6 next time he's in town! If he's such a saint and he cares so much I want to see more than lip service from him!

Last edited:
BP, the article here is saying that we need to get together globally to help

Global AIDS is a global threat. The U.S. cannot beat it alone. The Bush initiative provides the U.S. with the clout to assemble international partners to map out long-term goals for progress, a coordinated game plan for getting there, a global budget and pledges for the necessary funds. If the U.S. took that step, the world would have, for the very first time, a long-term strategy.

The U.S. cannot beat this alone. How is Bono's money is the answer?

I'm only saying that it reminded me of his speeches about the movies and the cup of coffee. Also, how could his money help? He's got a lot of it. Like I suggested, he could donate some of his concert profits, or match the funds donated by the AWF.

Anyway, I'm still a bitter person, I will go away and shut up now, I don't have anything to say you'd want to hear:uhoh:

BluberryPoptart said:

Because the title of the thread made it appear we should feel guilty about having fun and spending our money when people are dying, and I'm only pointing out how extravagant Bono's spending is while preaching to us about movies and coffee cups (both of which I've heard him say myself with his own mouth) He already has the mansion in Dublin and the Villa in the South of France and wastes more in a year than I'll ever be worth. So I want to see him start putting his money where is mouth is like Bill Gates does or stop trying to lay guilt trips on average Americans. Sorry.

Bono's name isn't in this article. Please prove that he doesn't put his money where his mouth is. I'm sure Bill Gates owns a lot of expensive things and owns a lot of real estate too. You can be generous and also have things for yourself.

Bono lays a guilt trip globally. We should feel guilty for not prioritizing the lives of 2 million + people dying every year.

BostonAnne said:
We should feel guilty for not prioritizing the lives of 2 million + people dying every year.

Me, I just found out I'm overdrawn at the bank so my electric bill (which was a cut off notice) is going to bounce tommorrow. I also have an abcessed tooth and can't afford to go to the dentist. I can't save anyone, I can't even save myself. Go preach to somebody with 2 big SUV's who buys their clothes at the mall. I'm broke.

BluberryPoptart said:
How?? My beliefs that abortion is cold blooded premeditated murder are based on common sense and reality and have nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

:up: to Bush for giving NO MONEY to anyone mentioning abortions!! :applaud: :bow:

Ad infinitum.
Ad nauseum.

Glad you don't have any problems Anitram. I was not lying about my problems. :down: It's attitudes like yours that really help in this world, not!

I do feel bad for those people, but I don't feel guilty. Unlike Anitram, I feel bad for ANYONE who is suffering, and no one helps, and no one cares.

You know how cruel it is to belittle my problems? May worse come to you, Anitram. Instant Karma could get ya, you know :down:

Last edited:
You really need to step away from this forum when you take things like that in such a wrong way and then wish badly for people. Either that, or start reading comments better than immediately assuming things about the posters and no, this isn't the first time you'd done it either.

If you would have read what my comment was directed to, it was your CONSTANT referring to ABORTIONS in every thread, not your financial state.

Instead you fly off the handle and accuse me of something big and ugly. Enough is enough, ignore list, here we come.

And for the record, I can guarantee you that I know what your poverty entails and wish only the best for you. I had my house burned down, friends and family murdered in cold blood where pieces of their flesh and bone dotted the streets, went from country to country from school to school in barely the clothes on my back because God knows the west doesn't want homeless refugees. So get off your damn high horse and stop assuming things about people, it's idiotic and fucking insulting.

I'm done.

anitram, I am so sorry you had to go through such hard times. :hug:

BP, I was off researching some stuff but am drained by your reactions to even word a post.

Here's what I found:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0530/p01s03-woaf.htm

http://www.aegis.com/news/re/2004/RE040604.html

I'm still unclear as to how Bono is asking you for money, except for being a voice to where the tax dollars are spent.

I'm sorry you are going through a hard time, but I don't hear much compassion in your attitude.

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:

Because the title of the thread made it appear we should feel guilty about having fun and spending our money when people are dying, and I'm only pointing out how extravagant Bono's spending is while preaching to us about movies and coffee cups (both of which I've heard him say myself with his own mouth) He already has the mansion in Dublin and the Villa in the South of France and wastes more in a year than I'll ever be worth. So I want to see him start putting his money where is mouth is like Bill Gates does or stop trying to lay guilt trips on average Americans. How about U2 donating a portion of some of their concerts on the next tour to African AIDS help? I mean, here we have fans donating to the African Well Fund and together we've built what, 2 dozen wells now? Think how many Bono could build at a cost that would be a drop in the bucket to him. How about he matches whatever we donate? And sell the NYC apt. and stay in the Plaza hotel or better yet the fucking Motel 6 next time he's in town! If he's such a saint and he cares so much I want to see more than lip service from him!

1. Bono's personal fortune is quite insufficient to combat the global AIDS epidemic.

2. Bono does quite a lot of hard work to combat the problem; money ain't everything ya know.

3. Neither you nor I know what financial contributions Bono has made to whatever charities or causes. And if we did know, well, people would probably be bashing him for displaying a lack of humility.

That is all.

BluberryPoptart said:
I'm only saying that it reminded me of his speeches about the movies and the cup of coffee. Also, how could his money help? He's got a lot of it. Like I suggested, he could donate some of his concert profits, or match the funds donated by the AWF.

I think U2 should charge market price for tickets for the next tour and donate a chunk of the profits.

Say....

$75 upper level
$150 lower level
$200 GA

or thereabouts.

Benefits:

1. Raises money for charitable causes.
2. Just might get more U2 fans on board with these causes.
3. Puts scalpers out of business.
4. More fans get to see fewer shows. (Yes, I think this is a benefit.)

Some of this flies slightly in the face of my previous post. Still worth thinking about, though.

Last edited:
We can step back and look at the larger picture created by this article. Compare our own consumerism with the problems in this world and we find that we should spend more time looking in the mirror before we criticize others.

All I will say is -

BP :tsk:

Even when the rest of us try to be positive and discuss things rationally, your posts continue to baffle.

THE GOAL IS SOUL.... :angel: :hug:

Thanks NBC for getting it back on track. After reading the article I was thinking about how many times people see movies more than once. I am guilty of this. As I said before the title of the thread came from the article. For those who did not go to the actual article it was written by a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

For those who see this as a bleeding heart liberal issue, I shake my head. Aids is not about republican or democrat and golly gee wouldn't you know it it does not choose sides. In case you missed it, the CIA has called AIDS a serious threat to the security of the US. From my readings it is not about to get any prettier.

Blueberry Poptart....take your head out of your fourth point of contact.....you might enjoy seeing the light. Everyone gets delt a bad hand in life at some point. Its getting to the next hand that makes or breaks you.

nbcrusader said:
We can step back and look at the larger picture created by this article. Compare our own consumerism with the problems in this world and we find that we should spend more time looking in the mirror before we criticize others.

You are right about this. I notice how many things we now "need" that 20-25 years ago were unheard of for all but the very rich, and sometimes not even for them. You know, when I grew up our family of five had one TV (b&w, yikes!), one phone (tethered to the wall), one stereo (radio and record player combo), one car (without a/c, but an automatic at my mom's insistance), and one bathroom. We were solidly middle class and we didn't feel deprived. (I know, I know! It sounds as if I'm doing one of those "when I was a kid, we had to walk 10 miles up hill [both ways!], in the snow, in our bare feet, without any coats to school.")

Now I have two color TVs, a DVD/VCR combo, a VCR, two discmen, two cars (both over ten years old and only one runs :huh: ), still only one landline phone line, but two phones (one regular plug in and one cordless), a cell phone, a pc (but an antiquated five years old and with only a modem connection!). My stereo is still only a small portable cd/cassette/radio combo, but I am thinking of a better system. My house is about the same size as the house I grew up in, perhaps slightly smaller (no garage either), and I still only have one bathroom, but I own it. I own no DVD's, a few video tapes, and a nice, but not huge CD collection. I rarely eat out or go to movies etc. But I do pretty much whatever I want and buy pretty much what I want (I must admit a weak spot for artwork....).

As a US citizen my consumerism is low to moderate, yet compared to far too many people in this world I live in the lap of luxury. Do I absolutely need everything I have? Of course not. Does that mean I should sell everything except the bare basics and send every penny I have above the level to maintain those basics to AIDS treatment in Africa (or any other poverty stricken spot)? No, it doesn't. But I do think the vast majority of us posting here owe luck of the draw as much as anything to where we are today. I think the "for the cost of three movie tickets per US citizen" comment is meant to show just how small the cost would really be to make a measurable difference in the AIDS fight. Sometimes when the costs are totalled up it seems like a huge, nearly unfathomable, amount, but when it is broken down into cost per US citizen it makes easier to understand.

A little advice to BP (take it or not, it's your choice). If you wish your views to be respected, you must learn to respect the views of others. Learn to argue without attacking and you might actually get your point across. Learn to accept that the world is coloured in shades of grey, not neatly divided into black and white. Learn that good, decent people can have diametrically opposite opinions. Ever hear the adage "you get more flies with honey than vinegar?" BP, not only are you not using honey, you are using hydrochloric acid. By doing this you are not only damaging the conversations, but you are very possibly doing irreparable damage to your own reputation here. Whatever you started out as, you are in serious danger of becoming considered little more than a raving lunatic.

ummm...and you might also want to refrain from dashing off a quick, nasty remark on a board that only allows editing for an hour.

Anitram -- I am humbled by your strong and postive posts, especially considering the horrors you and your family have endured. I doubt I would be able to cope with the grace and class you show.

sorry, double post!

Last edited:
I strongly disagree on the whole shades of grey opinion, when you make opinions that much of a sliding scale compromising your position is easy and once you do you wind up with only grey, and no matter how hard you try it will always be grey. Opinions are like skittles - all the colours of the rainbow! and theres no need for compromise, people can have different views but they are all equally valid. Its arguing them properly that enforces the validity, now theres my skittles analogy of opinions which I just made up then, it shall be adopted for future conversations.

BP, I think you can be a positive force in these debates just make sure you stick on a clear line of argument, then run rings around your opponents with clear logic - I respect anybody with acceptable political views (Nazism for instance doesn't get a Fair and Balanced treatment from me) who can write a short simple post that can sum up their argument perfectly (unlike mine). Just dont let your fingers and heart beat your mind to the post button (trust me, ive been there before - in fact 2 days ago, sheesh not thinking about the deal cut with Muqtada alSadr). Debate, Get Flattened by Other Guy, Learn, Flatten the Other Guy. Good Luck.

In regards to AIDS, I really think that the concept Bono said in an interview (somewhere, possibly Newshour With Jim Lehrer, where he was talking about mass producing the antiretrovirals in Red, White and Blue - Now That Would Be Good PR. I think that he does a lot more good by raising the issues and getting the peoples attention than any sum of money. Now money is an important part of this problem, its what makes the world go around (or is that passion) however whats better than masses of money is spending the money in the right places, solving the fucked up post-colonial states is a pillar on which world peace is built, AIDS and Fair Trade are very much part of this and it is very comendable what Bono has done, raising the issues, getting it into peoples living rooms and getting fans to start pestering their extended family whenever they raise said issues over a dinner table (I know I do). So, there are lots of pointless facts about how much it takes to fight AIDS (I recall the Icecream Purchased in Europe during One Year one) that dont have proper context and they just make people despondant to the problems and this shit just keeps going on, we must (not should) look at the nuts and bolts of this stuff so that when you see money being spent you can say its being spent properly, they are not tremendously difficult concepts to comprehend.

Also - Dread is dead on target, this is a bigger issue than partisan politics or social leanings, differ in the course of action, not in the objective :up:

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

Dreadsox said:
For those who see this as a bleeding heart liberal issue, I shake my head. Aids is not about republican or democrat and golly gee wouldn't you know it it does not choose sides. In case you missed it, the CIA has called AIDS a serious threat to the security of the US. From my readings it is not about to get any prettier.

indra said:
As a US citizen my consumerism is low to moderate, yet compared to far too many people in this world I live in the lap of luxury. Do I absolutely need everything I have? Of course not. Does that mean I should sell everything except the bare basics and send every penny I have above the level to maintain those basics to AIDS treatment in Africa (or any other poverty stricken spot)? No, it doesn't. But I do think the vast majority of us posting here owe luck of the draw as much as anything to where we are today. I think the "for the cost of three movie tickets per US citizen" comment is meant to show just how small the cost would really be to make a measurable difference in the AIDS fight. Sometimes when the costs are totalled up it seems like a huge, nearly unfathomable, amount, but when it is broken down into cost per US citizen it makes easier to understand.

:up: :)

Back
Top Bottom