The Cost of Three Movie Tickets Per US Citizen could help fight AIDS - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 AM
The Cost of Three Movie Tickets Per US Citizen could help fight AIDS

[Q]First, the U.S. must lead, but it must lead a global partnership of like-minded and intentioned international organizations and nations. The Bush initiative downplays international organizations like the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Global AIDS is a global threat. The U.S. cannot beat it alone. The Bush initiative provides the U.S. with the clout to assemble international partners to map out long-term goals for progress, a coordinated game plan for getting there, a global budget and pledges for the necessary funds. If the U.S. took that step, the world would have, for the very first time, a long-term strategy.

Second, a real strategy would mean a much greater commitment to building sustainable health infrastructure in the most acutely affected regions. Many of these countries have only the shells of national health systems. Without basic clinics, equipment, delivery services and the human capacity to manage and operate them, it will be impossible to do the testing, drug administration, counseling and nursing necessary to battle AIDS and other pressing health crises.

The World Health Organization estimates that with a global commitment - the proportional U.S. share of which would be roughly $10 billion per year, or the price of three movie tickets per American - to build sustainable health infrastructure, hundreds of billions of dollars might be saved in global economic production and 8 million lives might be saved per year.

Third, we need to vastly upgrade our commitment to develop an AIDS vaccine. Leading experts say that the prospect for an AIDS vaccine for the developing world in the next 10 years is extremely bleak. Yet the vaccine is our only hope of eliminating AIDS. The U.S. needs to double its budget for applied science. And we must create a comprehensive package of legislation to create market incentives for big pharmaceuticals, seed financing for biotech companies, and we have to reduce the liability associated with vaccines.

Finally, the U.S. and its international partners must put forth an aggressive diplomatic plan of engagement to press leaders of affected countries to act. Leadership - speaking openly and forcefully and mobilizing government and civil society - is still perhaps the most effective means of preventing new infections. Yet, leadership from many African and all the next-wave countries remains woefully inadequate.

[/Q]

http://www.cfr.org/pub7226/princeton...ids_threat.php

Old 08-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 AM
your title...

Isn't sad what our "disposable income" in North America could go to in the rest of the world?

Old 08-08-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

My titel came from a line in the article. Imagine what we could do with the money we spend on the popcorn and drinks.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

yes, JUST popcorn and drinks alone!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:39 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks, Dreadsox, for this GREAT and, hopefully, thought-provoking article.

The Global Fund (http://www.theglobalfund.org) is TRULY the most effective vehicle available right now to channel international monies to those countries who really need economic support to successfully fight AIDS, TB and malaria in their countries,

The Global Fund has criteria that these countries must meet to receive the money and to continue to receive more money. So it does its best to make sure that the money it gives is well spent to improve the health conditions in recipient countries.

We can never know enough or care enough when it comes to the AIDS pandemic - it IS the unnecessary modern holocaust of an entire generation of the world's poorest people.

And I greatly respect anyone who is willing to help stop this scourge on humanity.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Right on, Dread. We need to focus on this. I think the AIDS pandemic is a security threat to the First World, I really do. People with many different political views, from both major parties have all said this.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:43 PM
Old 08-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:43 AM
I can't believe that a year & 1/2 has passed since President Bush announced a historic emergency plan for AIDS relief and it seems like nothing has changed. You would think that congress would push through things more quickly and results would be seen. Our country needs to do what ever it takes to turn things around.

I'm also disappointed not to hear President Bush speak of this issue frequently. It isn't in the news enough.

Hmmm, perhaps all of the letters & e-mails we send to government should also be sent to the media to make sure they report the facts daily. I wonder if that would change anything?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #9
New Yorker

Dread

My main bitch is that for the third year in a row Bush didn't fund the Women's Global Health fund even though Congress appropriated the money cause while they don't perform they may mention abortion as a possibility. The same with the gag rule. I hate the idea of abortion personally but this is the real test of separation of church and state. If my sixteen year old daughter got pregnant I would counsel abortion, the morning after pill is much more morally defensible because no embryo has latched onto the mothers blood supply. Therefore I find the prolife contigent without moral backbone.

ps I march against my local prolife shit. But if you ask them how many of these desirable children they adopted it equals -0-. Bitches
Old 08-08-2004, 08:43 PM   #10
War Child

Imagine what Bono could have done with the $14 million he blew on a 2 bedroom apt. in NYC and the $100 grand he blew on his new Mazarati
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
Imagine what Bono could have done with the $14 million he blew on a 2 bedroom apt. in NYC and the $100 grand he blew on his new Mazarati
What is the point of making such a comment?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:00 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
:The same with the gag rule. I hate the idea of abortion personally but this is the real test of separation of church and state.
How?? My beliefs that abortion is cold blooded premeditated murder are based on common sense and reality and have nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

to Bush for giving NO MONEY to anyone mentioning abortions!!

Okay, okay, I'm going, I'm going
Old 08-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

What is the point of making such a comment?
Because the title of the thread made it appear we should feel guilty about having fun and spending our money when people are dying, and I'm only pointing out how extravagant Bono's spending is while preaching to us about movies and coffee cups (both of which I've heard him say myself with his own mouth) He already has the mansion in Dublin and the Villa in the South of France and wastes more in a year than I'll ever be worth. So I want to see him start putting his money where is mouth is like Bill Gates does or stop trying to lay guilt trips on average Americans. How about U2 donating a portion of some of their concerts on the next tour to African AIDS help? I mean, here we have fans donating to the African Well Fund and together we've built what, 2 dozen wells now? Think how many Bono could build at a cost that would be a drop in the bucket to him. How about he matches whatever we donate? And sell the NYC apt. and stay in the Plaza hotel or better yet the fucking Motel 6 next time he's in town! If he's such a saint and he cares so much I want to see more than lip service from him!
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
Refugee

BP, the article here is saying that we need to get together globally to help

Quote:
Global AIDS is a global threat. The U.S. cannot beat it alone. The Bush initiative provides the U.S. with the clout to assemble international partners to map out long-term goals for progress, a coordinated game plan for getting there, a global budget and pledges for the necessary funds. If the U.S. took that step, the world would have, for the very first time, a long-term strategy.
The U.S. cannot beat this alone. How is Bono's money is the answer?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:11 PM   #15
War Child

I'm only saying that it reminded me of his speeches about the movies and the cup of coffee. Also, how could his money help? He's got a lot of it. Like I suggested, he could donate some of his concert profits, or match the funds donated by the AWF.

Anyway, I'm still a bitter person, I will go away and shut up now, I don't have anything to say you'd want to hear