The Conservative Victory Celebration thread!!!!!!!!!! - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:43 AM
^ all good points, and i'm far from knowledgeable in this area, but i'm just trying to be a little bit lighthearted. (i sill find it amazing that Kerry's campaign could make anyone else's look good).

there's actually a whole lot to say, but this is a thread about Canadian elections, so i'll leave it as such.

but can we at least agree to be mutually upset at the face of the man who is going to be the representative to our respective countries to the international community?

Old 01-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:43 AM
i think i'm more worried about the fact that they're throwing stockwell day's name around for minister of foreign affairs.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but can we at least agree to be mutually upset at the face of the man who is going to be the representative to our respective countries to the international community?

Yours looks like an ape, ours looks like a Lego figurine. In the words of Jon Stewart: That's what happens when you don't let gay men do your hair.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dandy
i think i'm more worried about the fact that they're throwing stockwell day's name around for minister of foreign affairs.
What? You can't imagine him representing us around the world!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Yours looks like an ape, ours looks like a Lego figurine. In the words of Jon Stewart: That's what happens when you don't let gay men do your hair.

yes.

and notice the fashions worn by Conservative political wives.

they're horrific, as if the gays are designing out of spite!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 PM
The key to good conservative leadership is not about style and charisma, they are the marks of the empty vessel hucksters one generally finds on the left, no the key is blandness - such outright blandness that the public no longer dazzled by glamour begins to look at the issues and makes informed choices based upon their own self-interest.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #127
Refugee

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Wanderer: Trudeau was the best dressed most outgoing PM ever, his policies are something to be marvled at. Your generalization is untrue, and that goes for both sides of the specturm. But you probably have no clue who trudeau is so....

Antrim: I'd say your being fairly harsh as far as your assumption that Albertans, or a majority of AB, are that out of step with Canada. I hang out with people from all stripes here in Edmonton, I have an NDP candiadate as a close friend, a lesbian couple as friends, but I also have right leaning conservatives as friends as well.

I would tend to think that anywhere you go you would find the same dynamic. But the problem here in AB is that people are to loyal to a party, much like ON libs, they cannot see past the coruption for one, and they cannot look past the parties policy. Also people in AB hate the liberals, and I mean hate. Sometimes that gets translated into hating Easterners. I think that is very important and should not be overlooked. Apart from all the Conservatives that got elected in AB, look at the second place finishers. 8 NDP seconds, thats not bad. Also AB, suprisingly enough, had the biggest % of support for the GREENS!!!

With Harper now PM I'm very scared people in AB are going to say "i told you we'd get the power" That is the thought in AB, you seen Harper say the West wants in, the west is in! Unfortunatley this is going to fuel the right wingers in this prov.

I would hope if anything good comes of this election is that Alberta and the west will engage with the East. And i really hope that the East relizes all that AB gives to this great country apart from right wing politics, because we have, unfortunatley become a political power, but we are nipping at ON heals for the economic.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:43 AM
the world is tilting back to the center.

hooray.

db9
Old 01-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #129
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
the world is tilting back to the center.

hooray.

db9
hmmm

I would venture to say the world as a whole is right of center.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Also AB, suprisingly enough, had the biggest % of support for the GREENS!!!

But that's because the Greens have a very conservative social platform behind all of their environmental issues. So I'm not surprised a conservative person might vote for them.

And you know my observations have nothing to do with individual people in Alberta, but the overall climate. It's kind of how you can have a very liberal university at UTexas-Austin but the remainder of the state is Bush country.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

It's an interesting question.

The bottom line is that if you asked Canadians what values define Canada, and how they feel about their nation, and if you asked people abroad what their perception of Canada is, the overwhelming response would be to describe the Canada of Tommy Douglas, Pearson and Trudeau. From the nationalized health care, to the peacekeeping missions, to a mid-Atlantic foreign policy to the Charter of Rights, a majority of people would agree and some of the only dissenters would be Albertans. And by this I don't mean every person there, but the current leadership and the Conservatives/Reformists out there. Their vision of Canada is not the vision the rest of the country or the world has. And that is the cold, hard truth that Alberta seems unable to grasp.

Whenever you hear a politician yammering on about taking away the rights of gay people to marry, or comparing abortion to executions or the holocaust or blaming immigrant populations for not voting for them, 9 times out of 10 you can bet it's a Conservative MP from Alberta. And that does not jive with the rest of Canada and goes over like a lead balloon in a country which is socially liberal. Alberta's politicians sound either bigotted or bellicose, and for all their whining about how they are excluded in the political process, they themselves publicly shit all over the Atlantic provinces and if they could rid themselves of Ontario and 40% of the people of this country and their votes they would in a heartbeat. So in addition to sounding bellicose, they are also hypocritical. Their offensive "culture of defeat" insults directed at the Maritimes is a perfect example of how they have no intention to unite this country at all, what they want is to govern the people with their Albertan policy, and the people of the rest of this country don't want that. Plain and simple.

Mulroney once said that the Conservatives in Canada have a major problem: that the Canadian people don't actually want a Conservative party at all. What they want are two mainstream liberal parties so that when one gets obnoxious, we don't feel badly voting for the other. I am not sure how accurate that is. But I really believe that Alberta and the West are two different things, because this sort of bellicose Texas-style politicking is absent in say, BC and Saskatchewan. So I am not sure how people in Alberta feel, but I can tell with 100% certainty that their (not all of them obviously) social views are not congruent with the social views of the rest of this country.

If Alberta's politicians want to run on a platform of fiscal responsibility and old PC-style economics, that is one thing. But as long as they run on their ideas of morality, it's game over.
Wow, that was awesome

And you're absolutely right - you have to separate the "West" and Alberta because they are more dissimilar than they are similar.

Great post!!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy
Actually according to today's Ottawa Citizen (and that's what you read to get the word on the street here in Ottawa) Peter McKay is rumoured to be a prime candidate for Minister of Foreign Affairs. Much more preferable than Mr. Day!

Oh, someone just sent me this - hilarious!!

http://www.lecornichon.qc.ca/galerie...hen_harper.jpg
Old 01-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Wanderer: Trudeau was the best dressed most outgoing PM ever, his policies are something to be marvled at. Your generalization is untrue, and that goes for both sides of the specturm. But you probably have no clue who trudeau is so....
Wasn't he the guy who dated Margot Kidder?

I believe that your sarcasm detector is busted, David Cameron proves that that same sort of politician can take route on the supposed right.

Looking at successful conservative leaders in recent times I think that John Howard illustrates the phenomena that I am talking about rather well.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

Actually according to today's Ottawa Citizen (and that's what you read to get the word on the street here in Ottawa) Peter McKay is rumoured to be a prime candidate for Minister of Foreign Affairs. Much more preferable than Mr. Day!
peter mackay's name is getting thrown around for everything, lol. minister of justice, deputy PM, now this...

anyone would be better than stock for foreign affairs.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Can Trudeau's ghost run for the Liberal leadership?

Melon