The Conservative Victory Celebration thread!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harper wants to move quickly on same sex mariage for the simple fact he knows he will lose and he needs to get that out of the way now.

Also his gov't wont be taken down on the vote as it is a free vote and not a vote of confidence. The NDP and Bloc and 75% of liberals will vote for it making it immposible for his to win.

On the story of our fearless leader (you know the drunk, Klien) he's been waiting for years to bring this 3rd way health care in, doesnt everyone find it Ironic that the richest prov. in the country is the first to try and stem the financial obligation to provide health care to its people, come on we have 8-9 billion dollar surpluses, and we have ZERO debt! But thats not enough for this idiot, he needs us on our knees. You know we got into a fairly heated arguement about what some here have said that Albertans are just sheep following the leader, and the one person who is the most conservative in the bar even agreed! Sickening! Just imagine living in this prov. and having to deal with the most right leaning Canadians and their backwards ideas of democracy. I'm about ready to give up and go somewhere else in this country.

bonoman said:
Sickening! Just imagine living in this prov. and having to deal with the most right leaning Canadians and their backwards ideas of democracy. I'm about ready to give up and go somewhere else in this country.
BC!!! You and hitman both!!

the only thing about alberta is that it IS very prosperous. there's a great business environement there, obviously.

but the irony of their "third way" proposal for health care is VERY rich...

harper's best bet is to push his social agenda immediately, because he knows the opposition won't be able to pull the plug on him this early. that would backfire badly, unfortunately.

so, as melon's article suggestions, look for the conservatives to push their more risque legislation in the near future while the writ is still fresh, and at its furthest point from being dropped... :sexywink:

lmjhitman said:
jesus fucking christ! this is fucking abysmal.

boosterjuice, if you think that the conservatives are anymore fiscally responsible than ANYONE else, i think you'll soon find you're mistaken.

and since you live in alberta, here's a bonus for you:

get ready for ralph fucking klein to dismantle healthcare here as we know it. that fucking drunk's legacy will be that the rich stay healthy and the sick stay poor.

happy?

I hope your not the teacher for my kid. Cause you certainly lost all my respect with trash talk like that. With a huge pension and salary I'd expect a bit more character integrity.

djfeelgood said:

I hope your not the teacher for my kid. Cause you certainly lost all my respect with trash talk like that. With a huge pension and salary I'd expect a bit more character integrity.
Hold on just a second there, mr. feelgood. You have no right to pass judgement on her like that. All she was doing was expressing her opinion. You have no idea what kind of a teacher she is and absolutely no justification in questioning her teaching qualifications. I think she knows the difference between proper classroom behaviour and adult discussions.

It's a good point that Harper may attempt to push some controversial policies earlier due to the inability of the opposition to force an election, no one in Canada wants another one.

On the other hand, by revealing controversial legislation early, even if is too fail passing in Parliament, is risky in two ways. It could turn off moderate voters who supported the Conservatives if they see the attempts to push such legislation knowing that if they had the numbers, this would be their goal. Another risk is for a sitting government, albeit a minority one, to show weakness in the ability to pass legislation in the House.

I would think that the child care credit, gst cut, crime bill and accountability bill would pass with relative ease. Any legislation to reduce crime would be difficult to attack along with the accountability issue, so they would receive support. The gst cut is a sexy policy even though I consider it a rich person's tax cut but again cutting taxes is hard to attack in Parliament. The child care would probably receive support from the Bloc, it doesn't affect the Quebec child care program yet puts some money in the pocket of Quebecers. I think the child care policy is helpful with the expense of childcare but's that about it, it is hardly a concrete solution to solve the problem.

I do not agree with Ralph Klein's tweaking of health care, it will have a devastating affect on families, and create a class of disenfranchised Albertans who are not earning the big oil money in the province. Not everyone works in the oil industry or its' spinoffs. Thousands and thousands work in the service service and earn meagre salaries with little benefits. Of course, the Albertan philosophy is they have to work harder and improve their conditions, well, someone has to work in the lower paying jobs, is the position of Ralph Klein, let them eat cake? Ethically, it is an irresponsible direction for an extremely wealthy society to be heading.

Last edited:
djfeelgood said:

I hope you're* not the teacher for my kid. Cause you certainly lost all my respect with trash talk like that.
given that i posted right after the results were announced, i was justifiably irate. i probably could have expressed myself with a lot less profanity, but i still stand by the opinion that i expressed. and do you HONESTLY believe that i would speak that way in the classroom??! :rolleyes: if you do, then you are more deluded about teachers than you think.

whether or not i'm your kid's teacher is irrelevant. i certainly hope that your child has a teacher with a social conscience who believes that EVERYONE deserves a comfortable life and a shot at success, and NOT that such amenities be available only to those who can afford it.

With a huge pension and salary I'd expect a bit more character integrity.
:lmao: if you bothered to read on in this thread, you'd see what my situation is regarding that 'huge salary' that you speak of. and even funnier, the province of alberta has refused to address the unfunded liability in the teachers' pension plan. so even if i WAS teaching full-time, i won't be able to rely on my pension to get me through my retirement. :happy:

djfeelgood, you don't know me, so you have very little with which to attack my character and integrity.

and seeing as how you had such little respect for teachers to start with, i can't say i've lost all that much now, have i?

*by the way, i corrected your spelling mistake.

~ teacher

ps - you get a gold star, calluna!
wink.gif

trevster2k said:
It's a good point that Harper may attempt to push some controversial policies earlier due to the inability of the opposition to force an election, no one in Canada wants another one....I do not agree with Ralph Klein's tweaking of health care, it will have a devastating affect on families, and create a class of disenfranchised Albertans who are not earning the big oil money in the province.

Harper’s pushing of legislation will be calculated every step of the way. I think it’s actually smarter for him to get things like the same-sex marriage debate tackled earlier rather than later. As mentioned previously, the likelihood of overturning last year’s legislation will be a leap--but he’s still going to try for symbolic purposes. Even if he loses the proposed free vote, he wins on two counts: the long-time supporters will love the fact that he’s going at this early (“at least he tried”…etc), and the rest of the country will be happy to see the issue finally put to bed (not a pun).

The Ralph Klein agenda is a frightful one for some—but he’s going to run into a big problem, the Canada Health Act, which rigidly legislates fair and equitable health care services for all. It’ll certainly be interesting to see how far he manages to push his vision—it could be the biggest news story in the country over the next few weeks. And it may also the biggest immediate challenge for Harper's new government.

AOD, I hope you're right about the Canada Health Act being an impediment to Klein. You're right about it being a challenge for Harper, how does he handle his base yet not irritate the rest of the country. Should be very interesting.

Look, Klein will implement this health care act no matter what anyone has to say about it! Its his legacy! Harper will look tough on Klein but at the end of the day it will pass, thats why i quetion being an albertan at all, should I stay and fight or should i relize i've lost and move on, I cant change the hearts and minds of sheepish Albertans anymore, I'm sick of it!!!!

Klein will be gone on 1-2 years and Jim Dinning will be in, remember that name DINNING, JIM. He is worse than Klein! He is another Calgary Oil man that doesnt give a Fuck about the working man that makes this prov. profitable. I'm the type of person that works long hours and shitty shifts that makes good money that makes this prov. go!

Like I said, I cant wait to get the fuck outta here, if anyone knows a job in BC that is power engineering, tell me cause I wanna leave!!

bonoman said:
Look, Klein will implement this health care act no matter what anyone has to say about it! Its his legacy! Harper will look tough on Klein but at the end of the day it will pass, thats why i quetion being an albertan at all, should I stay and fight or should i relize i've lost and move on, I cant change the hearts and minds of sheepish Albertans anymore, I'm sick of it!!!!
hang on to your ralph bucks, bonoman. you're gonna need 'em. link
Plan snubs Canada Health Act
Doctors could practise in private and public systems at same time

James Baxter and Kelly Cryderman, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Wednesday, February 01, 2006

EDMONTON - Proposed changes to Alberta's health-care laws could open the door to for-profit hospitals, possibly owned and operated by foreign companies, government sources say.

Current legislation, popularly known as Bill 11, expressly forbade privately owned hospitals, partly in response to a public outcry when the government last attempted a major reform of the health-care system in 2000.

The proposed Alberta Health Care Assurance Act deliberately omits that prohibition.

The bill is to be introduced in the spring sitting of the legislature as part of the Klein government's "third-way" health reforms.

Recent drafts of the new act would also allow doctors to practise in the private and public systems at the same time, and would omit Bill 11's recognition of the supremacy of the Canada Health Act, setting the stage for a showdown with Stephen Harper's newly elected federal government.

Until now, Premier Ralph Klein has insisted he will try to work within the confines of federal medicare legislation, which requires health care to be publicly administered. But the new law will drop any reference to the Canada Health Act, sources said.
Some members of the provincial government are worried Klein will create a rift between Alberta and the new Conservative federal government.

In past, violations of the Canada Health Act have been met with fines, but Ottawa could also cut some of the $2.048 billion in health transfers it sends to Alberta for public health services, putting even greater pressure on the public system.
If the province does allow doctors to work in both the public and private systems, Evans said she will make sure "there are physicians to operate within the public system," possibly by mandating that doctors work a certain number of hours in the public stream.

But one observer fears allowing doctors to work both privately and publicly will have dramatic consequences.

"With the utmost of sincerity, this is not a policy road to travel," said Tom Noseworthy, a physician and director of the University of Calgary's Centre for Health and Policy Studies.

"If you're now going to create more practice opportunities for physicians that lure them away from the publicly funded system, tell me how the publicly funded system gets better as a consequence of that?

"I'm sorry, the logic escapes me, and the evidence from the other countries doesn't suggest that it's a good idea."
Alberta Liberal Leader Kevin Taft called the rumoured legislation "deeply alarming."

"This looks to me like a worst-case scenario for public health care in Alberta," Taft said. "That there's no reference to the Canada Health Act should raise all sorts of red flags."
we've got

to get

ooooooooouuuuuuuut of heeeeeerrrrre

it's all gonna break

^:lol:

I like This Hour has 22 Minutes talking about that phone call. Harper calls up Bush and they are exchanging greetings when Harper pipes up " Let's stop being so formal, no more Mr. Harper and Mr. Bush. Let's just use Stephen and George." Bush's reply "Ok, I'll be Stephen"

Back
Top Bottom