the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the far-Left that gives aid to Islamic Totalitarianism.

:sigh:

You were doing so well up until this. This is a grossly unfair mischaracterization.

I have seen plenty, and I mean plenty of left-wing sources decrying the lack of human rights in Middle Eastern countries. I would go so far as to say that liberal organizations have been leading the way as far as decrying human rights violations in Middle Eastern countries.

And yet because they don't go as far as labeling Muslims as a worldwide scourge, they are aiding Islamic Totalitarianism? That kind of over-inflated rhetoric serves no useful purpose other than furthering the us-vs-them divide in our political landscape. It's intellectually lazy and dishonest.

But it's just the opposite. It's the far-Left that gives aid to Islamic Totalitarianism. Why is that? Why is it that if a Christian speaks out about the lack of human rights in Muslim countries or if a conservative (Bill O'Reilly) states that "there is a Muslim problem in the world," it's those on the Left that walkout in protest or shout "Islamophobia!!" ??
This is because you only pay attention to certain media outlets. You've got to open your eyes a little more...

You're quite right about that and that's exactly why I feel embarrassed about attitudes I had 10 years or so ago. They were hurtful. I still have a traditional view of marriage but I'm very careful how I present my arguments. I think they're defendable but I'm fine with those that disagree and respect those with an informed, albeit, opposite opinion

Well I'm glad that you're able to acknowledge this, but in all honesty you have a long way to go.

FQ2dA.png

:sigh:

You were doing so well up until this. This is a grossly unfair mischaracterization.

I have seen plenty, and I mean plenty of left-wing sources decrying the lack of human rights in Middle Eastern countries. I would go so far as to say that liberal organizations have been leading the way as far as decrying human rights violations in Middle Eastern countries.

And yet because they don't go as far as labeling Muslims as a worldwide scourge, they are aiding Islamic Totalitarianism? That kind of over-inflated rhetoric serves no useful purpose other than furthering the us-vs-them divide in our political landscape. It's intellectually lazy and dishonest.

My quote does say "far-Left" does it not?

I'm talking about the revolutionary Left and their useful idiots (especially on college campuses and the web) that will work with anyone who seeks the destruction of Western society and capitalism. The same revolutionary Left that infects the green movement for the same aims. The Left that decries the imperial United States as the great oppressor and abuser of human rights. And the same radical Left that sympathized with communist causes during the Cold War and continues to romanticize Castro, Chavez, Mao and Che.

That Left.

Sorry for any confusion.

Wow, if we can't have abortion in the GOP nom thread, can we keep Islamofascism and those who support it out of the Same Sex Marriage (default All Things Gay) Thread?

Damn activist judges always messin' with our threads.

:wink:

I'm talking about the revolutionary Left and their useful idiots (especially on college campuses and the web) that will work with anyone who seeks the destruction of Western society and capitalism. The same revolutionary Left that infects the green movement for the same aims. The Left that decries the imperial United States as the great oppressor and abuser of human rights. And the same radical Left that sympathized with communist causes during the Cold War and continues to romanticize Castro, Chavez, Mao and Che.

That Left.

Sorry for any confusion.
Why are we even talking about that Left? That Left is irrelevant. Talk about liberals who actually vote and make policy and are represented in the government instead of your demonic boogeyman who want to destroy America.

To be free a society must have the power of self-determination. If same-sex marriage becomes the law democratically I'll recognize it. Intimidation and judicial activism (Vaughn Walker :wave:) being the completely opposite approach.

we really have to vote on whether or not a minority is entitled to the same rights as us? should we really have had people vote on Brown vs. Board of Ed? should the good people of Alabama have been allowed to vote on whether or not black people could attend the state university?

as for Judge Walker, everyone with a pulse knows that Olsen/Boies utterly decimated the Prop 8 crowd by any reasonable legal standard. that's not an opinion, that is a fact. read any of the coverage of the case and you'll see what little the Prop 8 crowd was able to muster when it came to witnesses. in this situation, particularly, crying "judicial activism" is incredibly weak when this is precisely what a judge is supposed to do.

it is striking, however, that SSM does very well in the courts but not so well at the ballot box. it's a great example of how minority rights must be protected by the judiciary in a democracy, and also an example of the benefits of a representative democracy rather than a direct democracy.

the fact remains that i never got to vote on your marriage, so why should you be able to vote on mine?

Now you'd think....you'd think... it would be the far-Right that would work with religious radicals and be sympathetic to their fights and causes. "Women as chattel, theocracy, kill the gays. Count us in !!" And that the Left... the Left... would shun those parts of the Muslim world that fail to observe gay rights, equality for women, free speech or secular democracy.

But it's just the opposite. It's the far-Left that gives aid to Islamic Totalitarianism. Why is that? Why is it that if a Christian speaks out about the lack of human rights in Muslim countries or if a conservative (Bill O'Reilly) states that "there is a Muslim problem in the world," it's those on the Left that walkout in protest or shout "Islamophobia!!" ?

except that it's not just the opposite and you've created a situation that's rhetorically beneficial but really not rooted in reality.

my guess is that i would argue that the best way to help gays in Iraq, for example -- who have vastly worst lives now than they did under Saddam -- is not to bomb and invade. believe it or not, most people on the Left like the idea of democracy and free speech and all that. we just disagree that you can bomb and invade countries to make them accept these things. it was Left win gay activists like Dan Choi -- the one who chained himself to the WH fence over DADT -- who was beaten by thugs in Moscow after they tried to hold a gay pride parade. so to characterize all of the Left as subservient to ideals of "multiculturalism" to the point where it trumps basic human rights isn't correct. look at, say, female genital mutilation in Africa. it was women's groups who brought this issue to right, and i didn't see anyone on the Left supporting the right of societies to slice out the genitalia of an 11-year old girl in the name of "multiculturalism."

and there are many gay organizations that seek to help gay refugees from African and Muslim countries get out of these countries and off to London, New York, or wherever. however, the government of the US seems to be not as sympathetic as it could be to these cases.

The question isn't "are Christians speaking out about the persecution and murder of gays in Muslim countries." It's why are those on the Left (with exceptions) so afraid to?

i just don't see this as the situation, but i do know that there are some right wing gay people who think that the GOP could form an alliance, of sorts, with gay conservatives (they do exist!) on issues like this. believe it or not, there is a very, very strong libertarian impulse in the gay community that probably could be tapped into by the GOP, but right now, you're riding the nativist/Christianist tiger you rode in on, so until you leave that behind, it's not going to happen.

further, isn't marriage, for example, a very conservative thing? it seems to me that it isn't marriage or "traditional marriage" that's at stake at all -- or is even what people actually care about. if you thought marriage was so great, wouldn't you want everyone to get married? no, what's going on here is the darker, more reptilian side of conservatism that feels an idyllic past slipping away and an unfamiliar world taking root. we are in the midst of an enormous cultural shift, especially racially, and that's going to inevitably cause some panic. and SSM is really just one aspect of this. which ties into what i was saying about the phrase "i believe" earlier -- that's a statement of identity, not of evidence.

You're quite right about that and that's exactly why I feel embarrassed about attitudes I had 10 years or so ago. They were hurtful. I still have a traditional view of marriage but I'm very careful how I present my arguments. I think they're defendable but I'm fine with those that disagree and respect those with an informed, albeit, opposite opinion

and i appreciate that.

though i still think your proposed gay ice cream flavor of "double banana nut crunch" was hilarious.

INDY, I get the feeling that your main reservation with same-sex marriage is that many liberals support it.

You mean one can oppose same-sex marriage for reasons other than homophobia or hatred? I'd like to think that a pillar of Western civilization is a bit more solid than that however.

No, that's not the reason anymore than I oppose an ever growing, more expensive, more expansive, more impeding, more intrusive federal government... only because liberals support it.

But thanks anyway. :wink:

No, that's not the reason anymore than I oppose an ever growing, more expensive, more expansive, more impeding, more intrusive federal government... only because liberals support it.

:lol:

Okay, that was fucking hilarious. You weren't born on Jan. 20, 2009, right?

You mean one can oppose same-sex marriage for reasons other than homophobia or hatred? I'd like to think that a pillar of Western civilization is a bit more solid than that however.

But thanks anyway. :wink:
I just mean, every time we get into this discussion, you make it about liberals vs. conservatives and don't really talk about it. You want to make it about judicial activism or how the Left is painting a caricature of the Right or something.

And I did not say "only," I said your "main reservation."

Well, now that I think about it, you're right... too many liberals did support these actions all through the Bush II administration.

:lmao:

will straight people stop getting married if gay people start to get married?

or is this pillar of Western civilization held up by a "no fags allowed" sign?

Non-argumentative question: If the laws were amended to allow gay marriage, what would the definition of marriage be? Just curious as to what people think.

Seems kind of straightforward, actually.

1. The formal union of a man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become life partners.

2. The legal union of a man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman as life partners, usually entailing legal obligations of each person to the other.

3. the social institution under which a man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman establish their decision to live as life partners by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

Etc, etc, etc

the legal union of two consenting adults?

(this is also a very modern definition, btw, since 30-40 years ago, we let adults marry teenagers)

i imagine it would vary, if it was defined at all ... too late for me to look it up now.

but here's the thing -- is romantic love a part of this pillar of Western Civilization?

i'd argue that, up until 50 years ago, love had very little to do with most marriages.

That Left.

Sorry for any confusion.
I agree with you sometimes, but this "far-left" rhetoric is treading into murky Bill O'Reilly talking points waters. You didn't manage to mention "filthy hippies" or "eco-terrorists" or something about dolphins or Greenpeace though, might want to hit those as well :wink:

One can be centrist and be able to rationally look at his country and recognize that it has historically done/is doing some pretty shitty stuff.

So..there aren't any gay individuals or couples at Disney on any other given day? Run for your life Mickey!

'Gay Days at Disney' Draws Protest, Warning From the Sky, Christian News

For those living near Disney World in Florida, there is a good chance you saw an aircraft pulling the following banner, “Warning Gay Pride Day@Disney 2Day.”

The message is from the Christian group Florida Family Association, which paid for the banner to run across the sky on Friday and Saturday.

“30,000 children along with their unsuspecting parents will be confronted with the reality of witnessing over 15,000 Gay Pride Day revelers when they enter the Magic Kingdom on June 4, 2011,” wrote FFA on its website.

“Florida Family Association wants to warn these families about this offensive event before they arrive at the Magic Kingdom on Saturday.”

The FFA paid reportedly $7,000, money donated by supporters, to contract an aircraft company to pull two seven-foot high banners during those two days over Disney World, reported Orlando’s WESH-TV. The pro-family group is upset with Disney for allowing Gay Day attendees to hold their event during regular business hours, unlike other special events.

“Disney requires special events like Grad Night and Night of Joy to be held after the Magic Kingdom’s regular operating hours,” contends FFA. “Disney does this to avoid having a large group of likeminded people in the park at the same time with regular patrons who expect a normal day at the Magic Kingdom.”

Gay Days is a six-day gathering, May 31 to June 6, in Orlando. It is an annual event that has taken place for some 20 years.

I'm going to guess what scares them is that if there was no announcement that it was Gay Pride Day, they wouldn't even know it. It just would be another happy day with happy parents and happy kids at Disney World.

Yes, gay people walk among us, and they are in the most cunning camouflage ever... normal-looking, average people.

:rolleyes:

I have a feeling family groups think their kids are going to get showered in free condoms or hit by stray fecal matter from all the public buggery/hedonism going on during Gay Pride Day at Disney.

(the marriage was just so they could have sex :shh: )

Not so sure about that one. The (SPOILER ALERT!) dual suicide of the main characters at the end would seem to indicate far more than the antics of two really, really horny teenagers.

And anyone familiar with the poetry of Blake, Shelly, Moore, Shakespeare, (or even a really old dude like Solomon) knows that the notion of romantic love is not exactly a new concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom