the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it disturbing that someone so narrow minded is teaching. I've seen no indication that you employ critical thinking. I've seen no indication that you're willing to recognize the progressive nature of the family. The implication will be that any child without a mother and father is inherently disadvantaged. And that's just not true.

I find it disturbing that someone so narrow minded is teaching. I've seen no indication that you employ critical thinking. I've seen no indication that you're willing to recognize the progressive nature of the family. The implication will be that any child without a mother and father is inherently disadvantaged. And that's just not true.

"the progressive nature of the family."

Please post why the progressive nature of the family is better than a mom and dad.

Please post why the progressive nature of the family is better than a mom and dad.

Your posts such as this make me wonder what will happen if one of your students comes from a home with a single mom or two moms or two dads. Are you going to be this callous and close minded towards them as you are in FYM?

Your posts such as tahis make me wonder what will happen if one of your students comes from a home with a single mom or two moms or two dads. Are you going to be this callous and close minded towards them as you are in FYM?

I guess I am so out of touch and ignorant.

I just believe in that stupid ideal that a family needs a mom and dad.

I just believe in that stupid ideal biblical of a family unit.

I'm all for a stable family unit, too. I think it's pretty obvious that society runs a hell of a lot better with those in place. I just don't think there needs to be a checklist of who all's "required" to be part OF that stable family unit.

Are you just pulling people's legs or something? 'Cause if you're not, that worries me.

Angela

the iron horse said:

Please post why two moms or two dads are inherently inferior to a mom and dad.

Look, it's one thing to state a position and stick by it, but if you're going to ask others to explain their position, you should be willing to explain yours in the same level of detail you're asking of your opponents.

Last edited:

I'm not saying it's better. I'm not saying it's worse. I'm saying neither is inherently better or worse and that it depends on the people involved. Do you disagree?

I just believe in that stupid ideal that a family needs a mom and dad.
I know you're trying to play this off as a sarcastic "look at my being attacked for my beliefs" situation, but please understand: it really is stupid.

also, if it's so critical for a child to have a mother and a father (which, sure, it usually is) why don't you focus your efforts on helping heterosexuals be less fucked up in their relationships rather than kicking gay people?

seems like two gay people getting married has little to do with dysfunctional heterosexuals.

I mostly was raised by a single mother. My father was busy serving his 26 years in the U.S. Navy.

Now with DADT repealed, think of how many gay military families will be single parent homes, joining all of the straight military families.
Don't they know this isn't the American ideal? Aren't they patriotic?

A slight :wink:, but seriously, an ideal family? I have no fucking clue what that looks like.
Let's give children the best we can as a society (safety, education, food, a less toxic environment) and leave the family structure concerns to those that produce/raise the children.

also, if it's so critical for a child to have a mother and a father (which, sure, it usually is) why don't you focus your efforts on helping heterosexuals be less fucked up in their relationships rather than kicking gay people?

seems like two gay people getting married has little to do with dysfunctional heterosexuals.
I'm allowed to fall short of the ideal as miserably as I want because my relationships, by the nature of their composition, implicitly still aim for it. It's a way of rationalizing felt conflicts between claiming individual freedoms while professing allegiance to traditional ideals; I can tell myself I'm just a more enlightened traditionalist. But it ignores the principle that if the state must stay off my back where family affairs are concerned (short of gross abuse/neglect) in recognition of my basic rights, then they must do the same for you as well.

Last edited:
deep said:
Odds are that baby boy is straight
most all straight males do not want gay men looking at their private parts
if you don't believe me, just take your own survey

who is looking out for that baby's rights??
Wow. Dare I even dignify this with a response? Are you seriously that ignorant and unintelligent to draw such ridiculous conclusions? Extremely worrying!

BVS said:
No, being homo is a choice and you know these two with their homo agenda will do everything to turn this child gay.

Another innocent soul lost :sad:

Same goes for this ludicrous statement! If there's a "homo agenda", how come gay individuals are the result of (and are often raised within) heterosexual relationships? And whichever idiot claimed that having both a Mother and a Father is imperative... although it might be ideal to have both your parents around, that isn't the case for many people, but they still turn out fine! Bono being a very famous example. Kids just need to be loved, regardless of their parent's gender.

Might want to check your irony detector. :) They were both being satirical.

Considering 'traditional family values' are not really working out looking at divorce rates, why not let two men, two women, or a woman and an octopus try and raise a child?

Alien and a gay bear?

actually, iron horse, studies show that kids do best with two lesbian mothers.
How will boys raised by two women be able to carry on traditional American values like "kickin' ass" and "stuffing sad feelings so far down inside so that the hurt stops"?

yolland said:
Might want to check your irony detector. :) They were both being satirical.

Lol oh, fair enough. Many people have views exactly like that, sadly, so I took their posts on face value. Apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom