the conservative case for same sex marriage - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:12 PM
You and a lot of 5th graders...

Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

For some reason this makes me laugh.
Sort of like the old "You wanna hear a joke ... women's rights!" crack?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

For some reason this makes me laugh.

you realize that the pink is a direct reference to this:

which is referencing this:

you can learn more about it here:

Pink triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Not exactly funny
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Pretty damn funny In Top Secret.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Same-sex marriage becomes legal in DC; line forms

By JESSICA GRESKO (AP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Same-sex couples can start applying for marriage licenses Wednesday in Washington.

Supporters say couples planned to line up before the city's marriage bureau opened at 8:30 a.m., and officials at the courthouse were expecting 200 or more people.

At least 16 couples were waiting at 7:15 a.m. inside the city's Moultrie courthouse, which houses the marriage bureau and is just blocks from the U.S. Capitol.

Sinjoyla Townsend, 41, and her partner of 12 years, Angelisa Young, 47, claimed the first spot in line just after 6 a.m.

"It's like waking up Christmas morning," Young said.

Washington will be the sixth place in the nation where gay marriages can take place. Because of a mandatory waiting period, however, couples won't actually be able to marry in the District of Columbia until March 9. Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont currently issue licenses to same-sex couples.

To deal with the expected crowd Wednesday, the marriage bureau will bring in temporary employees to help its regular staff, courthouse spokeswoman Leah Gurowitz said.

"Everybody who wants a marriage license is going to get one. It may take a little longer, but they will get their license," Gurowitz said.

To prepare, the marriage bureau has changed its license applications so they are gender-neutral, asking for the name of each "spouse" rather than the "bride" and "groom." And at civil marriage ceremonies to be performed in the courthouse, a booklet for the official performing the marriage now reads, "I now pronounce you legally married" instead of "I now pronounce you man and wife."

A marriage license application costs $35, and the marriage license $10. Couples who are already registered as domestic partners in the city can convert their registration into a marriage license by paying the $10 fee.

Supporters expected the day to be festive. A District of Columbia councilman who introduced the gay marriage bill planned to hand out boxes of vanilla and chocolate cupcakes to the first 200 couples in line.

Terrance Heath, 41, planned to be at the courthouse with his partner, Rick Imirowicz, 43. The two have been together for 10 years and have a 7-year-old and a 2-year-old, but Heath said Wednesday feels like "a step forward."

"My husband has always been my husband to me, but having that legal recognition, that legal protection, makes it easier to deal with any number of situations," said Heath, a writer and blogger. "If you tell people you're married, you don't really have to explain much beyond that."

The two, who live in Maryland, plan to marry on March 9, the first day possible.

The gay marriage law was introduced in the 13-member D.C. Council in October and had near-unanimous support from the beginning. The bill passed and D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty signed it in December, but because Washington is a federal district, the law had to undergo a congressional review period that expired Tuesday.

Opponents, however, are still attempting to overturn the bill in court.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Hypocrisy Alert: Calif. Politician Roy Ashburn Arrested for Allegedly Driving Drunk; It Gets Worse - Crimesider - CBS News

Quote:
Sacramento, Calif. (CBS/CBS13) BAD: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk.

WORSE: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk AFTER LEAVING A GAY BAR.

WORSER: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar WITH ANOTHER MAN IN THE CAR.

WORST: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a REPUBLICAN state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar with another man in the car.

WORSTEST: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a Republican state senator from Southern California WITH A HISTORY OF OPPOSING GAY RIGHTS was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar with another man in the car.
It's getting kinda old with them.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #68
Refugee

Heres what I think:
Marriage is a religious ceremony. Freedom of religion dictates that religious institutuons can do whatever they want, for the most part. Government can't say that religions can't do this or have to do that. I believe marriage should be taken out of laws and the governments hands. Instead of marriage, something similar to civil unions should be enacted that gives couples the same benefits of todays marriages. This would include same-sex couples. Then if they want, the unionized couple can go get married wherever it is they worship. I think this would allow a lot more people (including me) to reconcile with their religious beliefs while giving everyone the same rights.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #69
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Heres what I think:
Marriage is a religious ceremony.
Yes, that is one of the many things that marriage is. It is not, however, the only thing, and, in a non-theocratic society such as ours, isn't the most important.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #70
Refugee

Quote:
Yes, that is one of the many things that marriage is. It is not, however, the only thing, and, in a non-theocratic society such as ours, isn't the most important.
Did you like my idea though?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Heres what I think:
Marriage is a religious ceremony. Freedom of religion dictates that religious institutuons can do whatever they want, for the most part. Government can't say that religions can't do this or have to do that. I believe marriage should be taken out of laws and the governments hands. Instead of marriage, something similar to civil unions should be enacted that gives couples the same benefits of todays marriages. This would include same-sex couples. Then if they want, the unionized couple can go get married wherever it is they worship. I think this would allow a lot more people (including me) to reconcile with their religious beliefs while giving everyone the same rights.
And this is pretty much what most of us have advocating. No one is saying they want to force churches to do anything. Marriage is NOT only a religious ceremony. Whatever it is that government recognizes should be equal for ALL consenting adults. What churches decide to do that's up to them. If they want to perform marriages for gay couples, great, if they don't then fine.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Heres what I think:
If you're that comfortable with changing the word marriage around like that, what's wrong with allowing gay couples to get government recognized marriage?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Non-theocratic, but not secular, so it should come as no surprise that many Americans mold their civics based, in various degrees, upon their religion and faith. And there is nothing theocratic about those religious beliefs shaping our laws when done through constitutional and democratic channels.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Bullshit that there's nothing theocratic about it. The channel doesn't matter; it's not meant to be used to impose your religious views on others.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #75
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Pac Mule wants to separate marriage from government. That's what I got from his post.