the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember those pictures-they were doing all kinds of synchronized exercises together that you just would not see straight guys doing together (or at all :wink:). And they certainly would not look like that while doing them. Yowza.

I'm sorry Ricky but I knew right then and there

and here i was thinking that Colin Farrell was just a douchebag:

Speaking from Los Angeles actor Colin Farrell has issued a statement in support of BeLonG To Youth Service’s STAND UP! Campaign against homophobic bullying of gay young people.

Colin recalls is memories of how his gay brother Eamon was terribly treated when they were young and growing up in Dublin.

Colin Farrell’s statement:

"I can't remember much about the years of physical and emotional abuse my brother Eamon suffered. I was very small. The thing i do remember though, quite literally, is blood on his school shirt when he came home in the afternoon. The beatings and taunting were very frequent for my him and a constant part of his school years. I didn't understand at that time the concept of 'difference'. Back then, as now, he was just my big brother. If I did understand what difference was I understood it in the most pure and unaffected childlike way. To me then, as a child, difference meant being left out. Joy and laughter came with being included, being embraced , and BELONGING to.

People are often afraid of difference. They feel that anything that causes fear, should be turned away from. My brother represented fear for so many people, but caused joy in my life. From a very young age he made me laugh with his intelligence and wit, made me aspire to his strength and goodness. He was to be embraced. To many of the students of his school however he was to be feared. He was to be turned away from. I didn't understand it then, and I still don't know. As a race we humans are united and divided by emotions. The mother and father of all emotions, the queen and king are love and fear. Love unites, it brings us closer to an understanding of the possibility of beauty amidst all the confusion and pain that life can bring. Hate is a disease. It is fear's messenger and it makes us do terrible things in a shadow of our better selves, of what we could be.

Intolerance is not genetically encoded - it is taught. It is learned at home. It is learned in the classrooms and it is learned anywhere else we gather as a group. But it is usually learned early and added onto from there. If there is nothing to feared, there is nothing to hate. If there is nothing to hate there is no pain. My brother was so forceful in standing up for who he was, and for the good that he knew wa inside of him. Many people missed out on an opportunity, not only to enjoy him, but to enjoy themselves by embracing his "difference". They missed out because they saw him as a threat - not as a testament to the kaleidoscope and diversity of this beautiful world. Bullying is torture, it is another betrayal of basic human decency and its scars reach way into the future of its survivors. But the saddest truth is that not all children survive it. It is a potentially fatal societal illness and must be respected and not feared. Respected and dealt with as a very real problem and as an adversary of a potentially harmonious world, that should have no place for bullies or bullying."

- From Colin Farrell

Colin Farrell recalls the trauma experienced by his gay brother and calls for an end to homophobia - BeLonGTo Pro

it's quite eloquent, actually.

I look at them when I am standing in line at the market, but I don't give them a lot of credence, I am trying to give most people the benefit of the doubt (these days), until proven otherwise

There's an article in the latest Entertainment Weekly about Colin Farrell and how he went from tabloid fixture bad boy to well-respected Irish acting guy. And it includes quotes from Colin agreeing that he wasn't the best boy on the block back in the day.

So there you go.

Sin is sin and you can't denie the fact that we live in a sinful world and we make the choices of the sin we commit. Homosexuality i s a sin, no by Gods word...if you say it's not ... you are in denial. God puts all sin in the same value, so if you choose to be homosexual or kill or steal or lie, it's all sin. can you be a Christain and sin? yes. Will God forgive you? yes. Does He like your sin? No. Does He want yo to repent and turn away from your sin? yes. If you say no and are angry at that fact...you are in denial of the one and only true God and Messiah. Satan want's us to be sinful and live sinful lives denying the truth of a true personal relationship with God. Sin is Sin.
As a youth pastor, I'm not surprised to have Jennifer Knapp declare she's a lesbian. I'm not shocked, offended, or otherwise going to burn her music as "sinful." But, I have issues with the overall trend that "this is who she was created to be." According to current scientific research, there is no genetic precursor (that we have found, note this before bashing me over the head!) "causing" someone to be homosexual. I mean, would everyone rejoice for me if I said I had become a pathological liar because that was who God made me to be? Or if I rejoiced in the fact that I had affairs with tons of women? Now, I'll confess those hit close to home, but facing the criticism and working towards change is one thing, I just can't see wallowing in something God says is sin. Because it comes down to God either meaning what He says, or not. I'm not hating on anyone or being remotely spiteful, I just want to know why one thing God says is sin is celebrated and not all the rest? Just saying.
The problem with Gay Christians is the fact that they call themselves Gay Christians, essentially, your sexual identity comes before your reverence for God. Who are you identifying with? If God is second, then he is not the most important, you just put the creator of the universe in second place in your life! I'm a single lady, never had sex, never been kissed and there is a possibility that if the right person does not come into my life and I won’t ever get married, then I would die a virgin. And that maybe His will for me in this life; I live by faith and trust that whatever He commands that He does it for my best interest. So please, consider that maybe not engaging in a homosexual lifestyle (regardless of your feelings, we are all sinful, you are not unique) and trusting God that whatever you do in obedience to Him is the best for you. Fall in love with Jesus!!!! Don't make your sexuality your idol! Give your ALL to your creator who loves you!!!
America sucks.

America sucks.

Really, any benefits or protections gays have in this country, and I agree they do not have all that they should, is far better than many, and probably most other countries. So America is doing a better job than most.

As for what sucks?
well religious beliefs, these are the things that support decriminalization and intolerance, and mind you without guilt.

I thought the overall non-reaction to Ricky's announcement was a very, very hopeful sign that soon it will be non-news in general to come out. Still a ways to go, but still.

On a much lighter note, I guess you know gay marriage has made it when there's a gay real housewives (husbands) of New York show

The Gay Housewives of New York Show Is Finally Getting a Cast - Gay housewives - Gawker

If he's on it I will definitely be watching :drool: bf is pretty cute too

340x_reichenbf.jpg

I thought the overall non-reaction to Ricky's announcement was a very, very hopeful sign that soon it will be non-news in general to come out. Still a ways to go, but still.

It also could be that it was obvious he was gay and for him coming out was like saying the grass is green or something like that.

By JAMIE STENGLE, Associated Press Writer – Tue Apr 20, 9:14 am ET

DALLAS – After the joy of a wedding and the adoption of a baby came arguments that couldn't be resolved, leading Angelique Naylor to file for divorce. That left her fighting both the woman she married in Massachusetts and the state of Texas, which says a union granted in a state where same-sex marriage is legal can't be dissolved with a divorce in a state where it's not.

A judge in Austin granted the divorce, but Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott is appealing the decision. He also is appealing a divorce granted to a gay couple in Dallas, saying protecting the "traditional definition of marriage" means doing the same for divorce.

A state appeals court is scheduled to hear arguments in the Dallas case on Wednesday.

The Dallas men, who declined to be interviewed for this story and are known only as J.B. and H.B. in court filings, had an amicable separation, with no disputes on separation of property and no children involved, said attorney Peter Schulte, who represents J.B. The couple, who married in 2006 in Massachusetts and separated two years later, simply want an official divorce, Schulte said.

The drawn-out process has been frustrating for Naylor, who says she didn't file for divorce as an equal rights statement — she just wants to get on with her life.

"We didn't ask for a marriage; we simply asked for the courtesy of divorce," said Naylor, 39, of Austin, who married Sabina Daly in Massachusetts in 2004.

That year, Massachusetts became the first state to let same-sex couples tie the knot. Now, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont and the District of Columbia also allow them.

Gay and lesbian couples who turn to the courts when they break up are getting mixed results across the nation. A Pennsylvania judge last month refused to divorce two women who married in Massachusetts, while New York grants such divorces even though the state doesn't allow same-sex marriage.

"The bottom line is that same-sex couples have families and their families have the same needs and problems, but often don't have the same rights," said Jennifer Pizer, a lawyer for Lambda Legal, a national legal organization that promotes equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

"It really is an unenviable position that the courts have put these couples in," said Karen Loewy, an attorney at the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders.

Abbott, a Republican seeking re-election, declined to be interviewed for this story. He has argued in court filings that because the state doesn't recognize gay marriage there can be no divorce, but a gay or lesbian Texas couple may have a marriage voided. Attorneys representing such couples argue that voiding a marriage here could leave it intact in other states, creating problems for property divisions and other issues.

"OK, you're recommending voidance, but how does that work?" asked Jennifer Cochran, Naylor's attorney. "Is it only void in Texas and can you void a marriage that's valid in another state? The attorney general I feel didn't answer those questions."

In 2005, Texas voters passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage by a 3-to-1 margin even though state law already prohibited it. Abbott has said he is appealing the Dallas divorce ruling for two men to "defend the traditional definition of marriage that was approved by Texas voters."

Abbott disagrees with the judge in that case, who ruled in October that the same-sex marriage ban violates equal rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Kelly Shackelford, chief counsel for the conservative Liberty Institute in Plano, called that decision "outrageous judicial activism." The institute has filed a friend of the court brief to the appeals court on behalf of the two Republican state lawmakers who co-sponsored the amendment banning gay marriage: state Rep. Warren Chisum and former state Sen. Todd Staples.

"It's a backdoor run at establishing same-sex so-called marriage against the people's vote," Shackelford said. "Once you grant the divorce, you are recognizing that there was a marriage."

Dallas divorce attorney Tom Greenwald said he's advising gay couples to wait and see how things play out in the courts.

"Getting the court of appeals to even accept the issue is a step in the right direction in getting some clarity on this," he said. "We just don't know how to treat it."

As for Naylor and Daly — the latter declined to comment — they've been trying to figure out what to do since separating in 2007 amid escalating arguments.

The couple, who had real estate-related businesses and renovated homes, toyed with the idea of one of them moving to a state where gay marriage is legal until a divorce is finalized, but that didn't seem practical.

Naylor said that eventually, she and Daly worked out a custody arrangement for their now 4 1/2-year-old son. Naylor said that when she heard about the Dallas divorce, she thought it was worth a try and filed for her own, even though several attorneys she spoke with weren't so sure.

"They said it's too up in the air, wait and see for appeals," Naylor said. "I didn't have a lot of time to wait and see."

"Once you grant the divorce, you are recognizing that there was a marriage."

...no duh, Shackelford. It's not their fault your state isn't as progressive as Massachusetts. You're the ones forcing them into a difficult situation, not the other way around.

This is precisely why the issue of gay marriage can't be a state-by-state deal, why it should be legalized nationwide. State-by-state laws on stuff like this just makes things way too complicated for people.

(Well, that and the fact that civil rights are something that should be distributed across the board, not just here and there)

On a related note, it really fills me with pride every time I see mention of Iowa being among the states that allows gay marriage. Yay, Iowa!

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom