the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's her way of getting publicity-who even knows who she is/was ?

Victoria Jackson may have earned her fame as a comedian, but her recent comments on "Glee" are no laughing matter.

The former "Saturday Night Live" star, now an outspoken political conservative, hit out at the high school choir dramedy in a homophobic rant in her new column for the conservative WorldNetDaily.com. Jackson wrote:

"Did you see "Glee" this week? Sickening! And, besides shoving the gay thing down our throats, they made a mockery of Christians – again! I wonder what their agenda is? Hey, producers of "Glee" – what's your agenda? One-way tolerance?"

Jackson's comments came after a string of anti-Muslim and Arab diatribe, and immediately following her saying:

"This new al-Qaida magazine for women has beauty tips and suicide-bomber tips! Gimme a break! That is as ridiculous as two men kissing on the mouth! And I don't care what is politically correct. Everyone knows that two men on a wedding cake is a comedy skit, not an "alternate lifestyle"! There I said it! Ridiculous!"

^ I believe PFan and BVS were asking for an original argument against same-sex marriage from you, in your own words. Not a mere re-statement of your position, which they already know fully well, but a thorough explanation of the reasoning behind it. Of course, if they want to humor your dodging of their question by answering yours, that's up to them.

As for trolling, that's a judgment call for the mods to make.

Quick! Start dancing like you're in the Dancing In the Dark video, and that'll distract everyone.

no, really guys, Springsteen aside, isn't it HILARIOUS that someone would use Adam and Eve as a reference point for the ideal family when they gave birth to one son who murdered the other?

he'd have been much better of with Amanda and Eve.

The worst part of that video is that you find out that Clarence can't dance either. I always assumed Bruce wouldn't be able to dance, but come on Clarence. You're the sax player. You're supposed to have sexy dancing down.

no, really guys, Springsteen aside, isn't it HILARIOUS that someone would use Adam and Eve as a reference point for the ideal family when they gave birth to one son who murdered the other?

I'm sure it was all Eve's fault anyway. She probably wanted a career instead of being home to raise her sons properly.

he'd have been much better of with Amanda and Eve.
But that's not the way Pop God wanted it.

MichaelCorleone-739179.jpg

Well this is what happens in a culture that produces "expressions" of "faith" like:

afterlife.jpg

what is it with conservatives where they seemingly sit around watching things that offend them? if glee and homosexuality offends you, don't watch glee. to unpoliticise (is that even a word?) it, i hate country music, so i don't listen to it. i don't sit around listening to clint black or someone going "omg i fucking hate this song! god it sucks! he just needs to stop recording music." though i suppose to put it on par with jackson's comments i suppose i should insult rednecks too.

what is it with conservatives where they seemingly sit around watching things that offend them?
To be honest I can't do anything except laugh. Usually when someone brings up a homophobic subject or remark, it's in the context of something that is, in reality, super gay.

Sports? Football? Ass-slapping, towel-whipping, tight lycra pants? Super gay.
The Army? Bored, sweaty guys in tank tops back at base camp calling each other fag. Lady Gaga parodies on YouTube Drunk Katy Perry singalongs. Super gay.
The gym? More ass-slapping, ogling other guys, grunting, sweat. Super gay.

Kind of ironic.

what is it with conservatives where they seemingly sit around watching things that offend them?

What is it with liberals where they do the same thing with Glenn Beck and Rush? Plenty of people on both sides of the ideological aisle watch what the other group does and calls foul on it. "Glee" is a cultural influence the same way that Beck and Rush are cultural influences; they catch flak when they present viewpoints that their antagonists don't like.

What is it with liberals where they do the same thing with Glenn Beck and Rush? Plenty of people on both sides of the ideological aisle watch what the other group does and calls foul on it. "Glee" is a cultural influence the same way that Beck and Rush are cultural influences; they catch flak when they present viewpoints that their antagonists don't like.

"Glee" isn't pretending to be news, though. i think that's a fair distinction.

but at the end of the day, all these shows are motivated by ratings, and believe me, having Kurt and Blaine kiss would never have happened had executives at Fox not done their research and decided that it would be a very good idea for their ratings. obviously, teenagers are more than ready for a love story involving two gay high schoolers that shows a (still very chaste ... remember the bed hopping heteros of Dawson's Creek over a decade ago?) small amount of physical affection. television reflects the perceived interests and values of it's viewers, and this is where the "Glee" audience is.

(and i know you know all that ... just using your post as a jumping off point)

"Glee" isn't pretending to be news, though. i think that's a fair distinction.

But it reflects a worldview. I don't think that's any great shock; Ryan Murphy makes no apology for it, nor should he. (Sorkin was recently speaking at an event and said, "All art has a point of view.") The question was, "what's with conservatives watching things they don't like" -- as if only conservatives do it. (Rush and Beck's audiences sure aren't just conservatives.) Everyone likes getting mad at the other side; it's the way it is. And it does indeed drive up the ratings you mentioned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom