the conservative case for same sex marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gary and Tony show on CNN was good, it was quite touching. What an adorable baby.

For me the surrogate's tattoos were far more of a threat to Western civilization than any gay marriage could ever be. Those were some ugly ass scary looking tattoos :wink:

you saw The Ring? With P Domingo?

How was it? It is getting pretty good reviews.

Placido really is all that and a cup of coffee.

I like this Ring. I saw it piecemeal over the last two seasons and then decided to use my Christmas money to go all at once. I've seen two other Rings, and this is my third favorite, but I do like it very much. At times the silliness of the production distracts from the music, but at times Freyer's vision is really wonderful and works very well. I finish up Saturday night.

REYKJAVIK, Iceland — Icelandic Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir has married her long-term partner, her office said on Monday, making her the world's first national leader with a same-sex spouse.

Sigurdardottir, 67, married writer Jonina Leosdottir on Sunday, the day a new law took effect defining marriage as a union between two consenting adults regardless of sex.

The two had had a civil union for years and changed this into a marriage under the new law, which was approved by parliament earlier this month.

The new law was celebrated at a church service on Sunday, which was also the international day for homosexual rights.

The prime minister's office said Sigurdardottir had sent a message to the gathering saying the new law was a cause for celebration for all Icelanders and adding: "I have today taken advantage of this new legislation."

The Lutheran State Church has long been split on the issue of same-sex marriage and the church congress in April did not unanimously support the new legislation. The bishop of Iceland has urged parish ministers to comply with the law.

Sigurdardottir, who has children from a previous heterosexual marriage, is the world's only openly gay prime minister but her sexuality has never been an issue in Iceland, which, like the other Nordic states, has a history of tolerance.

Maybe that's why the volcano erupted. Ever think of that? The country was being punished for its sins. :tsk:

Ah, yes, of course, that totally explains that. How silly of me.

Missed the skit clip you posted there, Irvine, just watched it. Very funny. "He'll tell us about his latest relapse, and the lapse to come in August..." :lol:. Scary in its dead-on portrayal, though-all I could think of was the "700 Club" the whole way through.

Thanks for sharing that, that was good.

Angela

just finally watched the Gary & Tony show. it was good. they were a little ... 1993, at least in mannerisms and dress, but they seemed like great dads, and a beautiful baby. and it's very clear that the person likely to suffer most from the lack of same-sex marriage is their child.

At least you're thinking of the children, Irving. FINALLY.

it's true. i was concerned for the child.

he didn't have lesbian parents. now that we know that lesbians are the best parents there are, and that kids do best with two lesbian mothers, we should make sure that we encourage all children to be in this optimal environment.

Probably not-why bother opening your mind up, after all?

(Could also just be that CNN in general doesn't get the greatest ratings, though...meh. Still a shame, though-I wish I could've seen it, thanks for the review nonetheless, Irvine)

BVS, that video...oy vey :rolleyes: :crack: :doh:. How the HELL do they think they'll be able to "ban oral sex" (psst, ya know, Texas Republican Party, straight people do that, too. It ain't just "a gay thing")? That's about one of the most dumbass platforms a party could ever come up with, and I will laugh and rejoice at (hopefully) seeing it fall apart if they manage to go ahead with that as their platform. Wow. That is just sad. Shut the hell up, Texas Republican Party, and mind your own beeswax.

"SMALL GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE! SMALL GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE! Except for, you know, this. 'Cause we have to protect people from...sex. Or something"

Nobody should ever trust people who come up with something this phobic and stupid to run anything.

Angela

When asked about that reaction, Burke says, "Probably because it's a support group. There are people who have embraced their children. I don't think there's anything heroic about it, but I think people appreciate that not every parent reacts positively when their child tells them that they're gay. I think that's probably why."

Very well put. He's right, it shouldn't be a shock, a heroic thing, to embrace and love your child. That should be kind of a "DUH". Unfortunately some people don't get that memo.

What a touching article. The family sounds awesome, and Brendan sounded like a wonderful guy (loved the story about his sister and him at school. That's so sweet). I'm incredibly sorry for what happened to him, my condolances to the Burke family and friends. But what a way to honor him.

So much positivity, love, and peace in that article, gives me a lot of hope. See? Now doesn't that world sound like a nice one to live in, people?

Angela

thewrap.com

NBC is under pressure to open up a straight-only "Today Show" weddings contest to gay couples, but the network says it won't because New York state law doesn't fully recognize same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are asking supporters to send emails and Tweets urging the "Today Show" to allow gay couples to enter the "Modern Day Weddings Contest."

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, issued a "call to action" against NBC asking the network to allow gay couples to enter the contest. "Modern Day Weddings" winners get an all-expenses paid wedding that will be broadcast on the "Today Show."

NBC issued a statement saying they can't have a same-sex marriage on the show because "the couple must be able to be legally married in New York, which is where the wedding will take place."

GLAAD says blaming the situation on New York law is "not a valid argument." New York doesn't give licenses to gay couples, but the state recognizes marriage licenses given to same-sex couples in other jurisdictions. GLAAD says NBC could "easily" ensure that a gay couple obtained a marriage license somewhere else before having their wedding celebration at the "Today Show" set in Rockefeller Center.

As of now, NBC isn't giving in to GLAAD's demand to open up the contest. The "Today Show" is taking "Modern Day Weddings" applications from straight couples until Friday, July 9.

NOMtour-300x139.jpg

4771220011_0336de8afd.jpg

“Over 33 days, we’ll travel more than 6000 miles, holding rallies in 23 cities from Maine to Minnesota to Atlanta and Tampa before heading back to Washington, DC for the tour finale on August 15th. Many of the states we’ll be visiting are key battlegrounds in this critical debate, as we work to organize grassroots support for marriage as the union of a husband and wife at both the state federal levels, building support for state marriage amendments and opposing the repeal of DOMA.

Please visit Summer for Marriage Tour | National Organization for Marriage | MarriageTour2010.com for the latest tour information, including the bus schedule, a chance to register for email alerts from the tour, and video footage of each tour stop. We need your help to make this summer’s tour a success!

By Denise Lavoie
AP Legal Affairs Writer / July 8, 2010

BOSTON—A U.S. judge in Boston has ruled that a federal gay marriage ban is unconstitutional because it interferes with the right a state to define marriage.

U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro on Thursday ruled in favor of gay couples' rights in two separate challenges to the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.

The state had argued the law denied benefits such as Medicaid to gay married couples in Massachusetts, where same-sex unions have been legal since 2004.

Tauro agreed, and said the act forces Massachusetts to discriminate against its own citizens.

The Justice Department argued the federal government has the right to set eligibility requirements for federal benefits -- including requiring that those benefits only go to couples in marriages between a man and a woman.

Feds sue to overturn Arizona immigration law - CNN.com

"Justice Department lawyers argued that the state statute should be declared invalid because it has improperly preempted federal law."

Tough balancing act, state rights vs. federal rights...

I don't know enough about state vs. federal rights and how it applies to the U.S.

But the one difference that I see between what Mrs. Springsteen posted and what you posted is that the federal Defense of Marriage Act is discriminatory and the Arizona immigration bill is equally discriminatory.

Really no balancing act where I'm coming from...

But the one difference that I see between what Mrs. Springsteen posted and what you posted is that the federal Defense of Marriage Act is discriminatory and the Arizona immigration bill is equally discriminatory.

Holder's Justice Dept should be suing Arizona on that ground then. Should be a home run, right?

But of course, Holder hasn't, and can't. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom