The College Liberal Bias - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Try wearing this t-shirt to class.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Try wearing this t-shirt to class.

Okay no, you missed my point. I'm a liberal but I want to keep discussion of this in class away. Far far away. I'd be just as upset if it was a conservative bias creating a lag in the class.

I'd never wear a shirt like that anyways.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Okay no, you missed my point. I'm a liberal but I want to keep discussion of this in class away. Far far away. I'd be just as upset if it was a conservative bias creating a lag in the class.

I'd never wear a shirt like that anyways.
Ah c'mon, you're in college for cryin-out-loud. Be a rebel. Separate yourself from the herd. Piss people off.

It's your duty.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #19
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:04 PM
Yeah...sounds like plain old bad teaching to me, basically. Different professors have different ideas on how permissible it is to explicitly state one's own political views in class--some see this as a priori unprofessional, others see it as one way of showing your students you're "just a regular guy" with bracing opinions like anyone else--but at the point where you're indulging in extensive rants like those you describe, then in my view you're just abusing your podium privileges, period. I can remember having at least one professor in undergrad who was like that. If you're reluctant to challenge these profs openly, I understand, but at least be sure to provide a detailed critique of their abuses when it comes time to fill out course evals.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 PM
This reminds me of some of the classes I took when I was a student. Honestly, I think I got an A on one of my final exams because it was left-leaning in content. I couldn't help it; I'm a lefty. So was the professor. I don't know that that essay on that exam was really that great. It was on Frederick Douglass.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Maybe they are bashing the Bush adminstration in the context that they have manipulated the media and the public like no other administration before has. So that would make these topic relevant to the class. It seems that the number of fake intelligence reports, staged events disguised as real ones, coverups, scare tactics, etc. have reached an unprecedented level under Bush.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

My campus is pretty conservative, some of my professors have been liberals, some have been conservative, so it's pretty balanced in terms of faculty. The student body however is largely conservative. It doesn't help that our president is a former Republican U.S. Senator
Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Intro to Journalism and Mass media classes are rarely useful--I wouldn't worry about you not getting anything, they seem to always be a free for all because they're taught by journalists who long to be Woodward and Bernstein.

I agree with yolland--confront them directly about the waste of class time. Further problems (it starts to affect your grade) you should go to the chair of the department. And definitely reflect it on the evaluation. I really hate wasted class time as well--although my friends and I have been known to set really liberal professors off in classes we felt like sleeping in.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:04 AM
The more a teacher sticks to the subject matter of the class, the better. The best teachers I had in college were the ones that I had NO IDEA what their political views were.

When class discussions veered into current events - the best teachers usually let the students try to "duke it out" as long everyone remained respectful. After a few points were made, these teachers would then bring the discussion back the class material.

It just seems goofy for PhD's in Chaucer to rant on about how much they love/hate a current political leader. I always thought that somehow college teachers should remain above that sort pettiness.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Let me add to my original post that most of my professors do not inject their beliefs in the classroom, I only found out because they found out about my interest in politics, and they would talk to me outside of class.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I was in a poli-sci class not too long back and would often debate my liberal teacher. I was basically the only person in class who cared enough about politics to challange him.

Long story short, he tried to make me into the class clown. When I challanged him he'd answer me in a snide, sarcastic tone and word things in such a way so that I'd look like an idiot to all of the students. I was known as the guy who the teacher always made fun of.

I hated that course.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 PM   #27
Refugee

I take Intellectual Heritage at Temple and this is a class that PA legislature (or at least the conservatives) are trying to ban. Of course being in college the teachers are going to be liberal. So when you throw in liberal teachers into a class that is supposed to teach current culture, literature and happenings: you get biased opinions.

On top of that this is a mandatory core class. I dont have a porblem with this, and students are allowed to disagree and what not. But these teachers dont even ADMIT the other point of view exists. It quite pathetic to witness; in my opinion....even being a conservative democrat.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #28
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mkdominatr
Intellectual Heritage...a class that is supposed to teach current culture, literature and happenings
The course title and the description sound totally contradictory...? Normally a course title like "Intellectual Heritage" would signal a "Great Books"-type curriculum.

ETA: I will say though that a seemingly common problem with these "humanities core"-type programs is that often experienced profs either A) don't want to "waste" their time teaching them, or B) sincerely feel they're not qualified to, or C) they're willing, but their departments won't spare them. So, often many of the sections wound up being taught by inexperienced (and horribly underpaid, but that's a separate issue) adjunct faculty, mostly grad students or recent PhDs who couldn't get a tenure-track position, and since the curriculum and course goals are often worked out by consensus (or just plain poorly defined) the end result may be a pedagogically lazy or murky "program culture." I don't mean to sound condemning here; these folks are generally plenty gifted scholars and of course some of them are fantastic teachers as well, but I do have the impression that these types of programs often suffer from a shortage of experienced curriculum steering and oversight. But I've never taught such a class myself, so my impressions could be off-base.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

The course title and the description sound totally contradictory...? Normally a course title like "Intellectual Heritage" would signal a "Great Books"-type curriculum.
It is but every class I have had throughout the past 2 years has dedicated a majority of the time to current news and our opinions on social issues. It makes you think and keeps you updated. I just dont like when the teachers press their opinions as though they are the correct ones.