The Christian Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
In my teens and later I read every book on religion and non-religion.

*everything*

The person of Christ and his message was the only one that made sense to me. I took the leap. Freedom was a splash of joy.

Like C.S. Lewis wrote, he was either a lunatic or he was telling us the truth.

What do you think?

Loon. Maybe not complete loon, but a touch delusional. A decent human with many good ideas, but the son of god? That's a bit much.

And "The" Christian Thread? Hell, all of the threads in FYM turn into Christian threads, even The Atheist Thread. :|

indra said:
Loon. Maybe not complete loon, but a touch delusional. A decent human with many good ideas, but the son of god? That's a bit much.

And "The" Christian Thread? Hell, all of the threads in FYM turn into Christian threads, even The Atheist Thread. :|

Maybe we should turn this thread into an anti-christian thread eh indra :lol:

Actually that C.S. Lewis Quote goes more like "liar, lunatic or Lord". And if you read his reasoning you can't really go... a little from column a and a little from colomn b...

NotAnEasyThing said:
:madspit: Yeah damn christians!!!

Actually, that's exactly what I say! Now you've gotten the spirit! :up:

Just coming by to say congrats on another demented thread - not directed at you iron horse.

Attachments

• threadsux.jpg
    threadsux.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 77
Macfistowannabe said:
Just coming by to say congrats on another demented thread - not directed at you iron horse.

Most likely aimed at me. Why thank you very much. :D I shall take a bow.

At least I answered the question posed. Might not have been what the thread started expected, but at least it was an answer (and it was an honest one too). I believe, given the choice of "liar, lunatic, or lord," that Jesus was a lunatic. I don't believe he was intentionally lying, but I don't believe in god either, so he couldn't be the son of god. Lunatic is the only choice left. And I didn't say that everything he preached was wacky, much was good. But son of god? I don't believe it, so I think he was delusional.

Indra, would you feel differently if you learned that the Son of God stuff was added later?

Just curious...not saying it was.

Lunatic, liar, or Lord...

Let's see, he doesn't appear to have any form of mental illness, his message is all positive, so I would definately say Lord.

Dreadsox said:
Indra, would you feel differently if you learned that the Son of God stuff was added later?

Just curious...not saying it was.

Then the choices would be liar or lunatic. I think he was a decent person who was ahead of his time, but not the son of god. If he thought he was the son of god, then lunatic (since "delusional, but not evil" was not an option).

I think he was entirely human -- nothing divine. I do think that because he was something of an outcast (born out of wedlock) he might well have had a more compassionate view of other people outside the norm.

Last edited:
Slap a "Christian" label of the thread and all the athiests come out. Slap an "athiest" label on the thread and all the Christians come out.

nbcrusader said:
Slap a "Christian" label of the thread and all the athiests come out. Slap an "athiest" label on the thread and all the Christians come out.

Not I! I didn't go in the atheist thread. Should I? :hmm:

indra said:
Then the choices would be liar or lunatic. I think he was a decent person who was ahead of his time, but not the son of god. If he thought he was the son of god, then lunatic (since "delusional, but not evil" was not an option).

I think he was entirely human -- nothing divine. I do think that because he was something of an outcast (born out of wedlock) he might well have had a more compassionate view of other people outside the norm.

I can agree with this.

Angela

Ah....but how can you pay any attention to a crazy man who thinks he's god? Or if he was not crazy and just decietful, then how can you say his teachings are good? You see you can't really have it both ways. Either you reject him or accept him as who he claimed to be.

NotAnEasyThing said:
Ah....but how can you pay any attention to a crazy man who thinks he's god? Or if he was not crazy and just decietful, then how can you say his teachings are good? You see you can't really have it both ways. Either you reject him or accept him as who he claimed to be.

I personally believe if anything, he was crazy, not deceitful...but I'd say that even if he personally believed he was the son of God, and it was a mere delusion, it still wouldn't make me ignore his teachings of loving each other and accepting people for who they are and all that, because while he may have his delusions (and personally, I'd say he could think whatever he wanted in regards to who he's related to), the things he's teaching are still things I can apply to my realistic life, as can other people, hence why I'd still pay attention.

Angela

What would those of you who think Jesus was a liar or crazy say about the numerous prophesies found in the Old Testament that he fulfilled, which in turn, point to him being the Christ?

NotAnEasyThing said:

You seem to see it as only black or white -- I think things can be grey. I do think that Jesus could have been an intelligent, compassionate man, who was a bit delusional -- I do not see them as being mutually exclusive. I think he was well ahead of his time too. I don't say he wasn't a decent human, I just reject him as divine.

As to your "how can you pay any attention to a crazy man" question, I quote E.B. White "Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one." So...a bright person, with many good ideas, but a bit cracked. But I do reject him as the Son of God.

But you can believe whatever you like. If it works for you, that's good.

When I was in high school I myself thought that Jesus was a great teacher who was probably nuts. I'd rejected the faith I'd learned as a child. Things changed when I got out in the jungle, so I've had the experience of looking at the whole situation in more than one way myself. One can believe he was a great guy, a very compassionate and intelligent man, but not God. Then you can take that "leap of faith", and just believe He was God. For me, it's a very emotional, intense matter of the heart that I can't really explain.

indra said:

... I do think that Jesus could have been an intelligent, compassionate man, who was a bit delusional -- I do not see them as being mutually exclusive. ...

Like Dali for example! A complete nutter if there ever was one, but a genius no less.

Jesus K, nothing of the sort.

I'm comparing Jesus to Dali.
forehead slap

equally flirtatious smilie and backseat being thrown out the window

This forum is full of Athiests and Christians. Any Muslims or Hindus or any Zoroaster worshippers? I love that word. Sounds like Toaster.

Back
Top Bottom