The Christian Right and the Rise of American Fascism - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #121
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So you're still developing organs that you need that you didn't have the day you were born? Wow.
Since every cell currently in my body didn't exist when I was born, and I lost a few permanently in my late teen and early 20s ( ), yeah, you could say on some level I'm still developing.
__________________

__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #122
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy


Since every cell currently in my body didn't exist when I was born, and I lost a few permanently in my late teen and early 20s ( ), yeah, you could say on some level I'm still developing.
I said organs, not cells.

You know like if you didn't need ears until you were 20 and then actually developed this new organ called ears, then that analogy would work. But it doesn't.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Organs are made up of cells though. They are constantly developing. How many times have we heard about tv and other things "effecting the development of a child's brain?" Sex organs are not fully developed until we hit puberty.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #124
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Anyway...if the embryo isn't human life until a certain stage of pregnancy then abortion really is just another garden variety form of birth control (albeit invasive).

So why bother investing in prevention and counselling support.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #125
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Organs are made up of cells though. They are constantly developing. How many times have we heard about tv and other things "effecting the development of a child's brain?" Sex organs are not fully developed until we hit puberty.
Did you read my whole post? Have you grown any new organs needed for survival since birth? No.

You have everything you need once you're born, yes you age, mature, etc but you aren't still growing new organs.

This talk is growing into playing semantics. It's pretty basic science, a fetus that's developing that can't even survive without the womb is not a child.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #126
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Anyway...if the embryo isn't human life until a certain stage of pregnancy then abortion really is just another garden variety form of birth control (albeit invasive).

So why bother investing in prevention and counselling support.
That makes absolutely no sense. So you're saying instead of a condom just have surgery?

Please, let's use a little logic.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Did you read my whole post? Have you grown any new organs needed for survival since birth? No.

You have everything you need once you're born, yes you age, mature, etc but you aren't still growing new organs.

This talk is growing into playing semantics. It's pretty basic science, a fetus that's developing that can't even survive without the womb is not a child.

Oh now you said "grown," if you had originally said that, instead of developed, it would've made sense.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #128
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


That makes absolutely no sense. So you're saying instead of a condom just have surgery?

Please, let's use a little logic.
You're quick to dismiss but more and more women who have the option would rather have surgery via c-section than give birth.

There's nothing logical about it.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #129
Acrobat
 
BorderGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Under A Blood Red Texas Sky
Posts: 418
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

As for Border Girl, I'm not even going to dignify her "when did your heart become so hard" comment with a response.
This was meant as a general question for all of us to ponder.
It's not even exclusive to the question of abortion since that is just one of many of life's challenges.
I think it's a valid question and worthwhile exercise every now and then to stop and check our responses to people and issues around us. Do we nourish, affirm and evoke the best qualities in people, etc.?
__________________
BorderGirl is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #130
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy


You're quick to dismiss but more and more women who have the option would rather have surgery via c-section than give birth.

There's nothing logical about it.
What does that have to do with it? Opting for a c-section and using abortion purely as birth control are two entirely different things.




This thread is losing it.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #131
Acrobat
 
BorderGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Under A Blood Red Texas Sky
Posts: 418
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

so pregnancy is punishment? is that how we are to view an unwanted pregnancy? a cross to bear? a scarlet letter?
No. It's a blessing that you may not recognize.

~Open up to the love of God
To the love of He who made the blind to see~
-lyrics by Bono
__________________
BorderGirl is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #132
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


What does that have to do with it? Opting for a c-section and using abortion purely as birth control are two entirely different things.

This thread is losing it.
Oh for pete's sake...you compared the use of a condom to voluntary surgery as needing a little logic. I offered an analogy of the lack of logic in a example of choosing surgery over the normal and usual alternative.

Better now?
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #133
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy


Oh for pete's sake...you compared the use of a condom to voluntary surgery as needing a little logic. I offered an analogy of the lack of logic in a example of choosing surgery over the normal and usual alternative.

Better now?
No I'm not better, because that analogy is still useless.

You said:

Quote:
really is just another garden variety form of birth control
Condom painless and cheap. The pill fairly inexpensive and little side effects.

You're saying this is comparable to having surgery, possibly a few times a year? Something painful and a lot more costly than a condom.

How is this even comparable to opting to have a alternative method when you are already prepared to give birth either way and you only have to have the procedure each time you have a child.

Seriously they are not even close.


Until there is some intelligent discussion I'm outta here.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #134
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Until there is some intelligent discussion I'm outta here.
Until you drop the unnecessary, condescending attitude, please don't bother coming back.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #135
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BorderGirl


No. It's a blessing that you may not recognize.




well, when we have universal health care and free child care, then let's talk.

i appreciate all your good intentions, but there's a very harsh reality out there.

i think there are many, many women who might rightly slap you across the face if you were to tell them that. it sounds like you don't respect the amount of thought and emotional investment each woman puts into whatever decision regarding an unplanned pregnancy.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com