The Censors are annoying me! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2004, 11:31 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
What in God's name do any of those "statistics" have to do w/ this topic? reminds me of one reason I no longer enjoy this forum

Anyway, a blurb I heard on the news said that you are allowed to say Jesus in a religious context, but not as an exclamation the way she used it That's not a new rule from the FCC, it has previously existed.
To my knowledge "Jesus" has never been edited before. In fact I hear people use "God" and "Jesus" as exclamations all the time, that's why I was very confused by this editing.

If this is in fact an FCC thing their lack of consistancy brings very little credibility to the commision. They have already ruled out using context in censoring words. But now they are stating context works for this one? It seems as if they do what ever the fuck they want and this is my biggest problems with this whole thing. Next they'll be censoring the word "gay" from Will and Grace because it's not appropriate.

It discusts me.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:39 PM
everyone should be free to say what he wants, but without leaving the moral behind

Old 03-31-2004, 01:07 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:39 AM
A_Wanderer, I was just going to comment on that hypocrisy, but you beat me to it and covered it well (why in the world do groups like the one A_Wanderer pointed out that are against homosexuality keep calling themselves "family" groups, by the way? I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize that it was good family values to pass on discrimination and misinformation about a group of people to children ...).

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
If this is in fact an FCC thing their lack of consistancy brings very little credibility to the commision. They have already ruled out using context in censoring words. But now they are stating context works for this one? It seems as if they do what ever the fuck they want and this is my biggest problems with this whole thing. Next they'll be censoring the word "gay" from Will and Grace because it's not appropriate.

It discusts me.
Exactly. It's bad enough that the silliest things are being freaked out over, but when this kind of inconsistency goes on...it's just ridiculous and is even more proof that censorship in general is just unnecessary, if all it's going to do is cause confusion over what exactly should and shouldn't be censored.

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
It is ironic, though, that broadcasters aren't allowed to be indecent, but religious organizations can be as repugnantly bigoted as they want. After all, they are the organizations that fight anti-discrimination laws the most, and, thus, are exempt from them. How ironic, eh?
Indeed.

Angela
Old 03-31-2004, 01:17 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
and people wonder why I have started to become so embittered towards Christianity? I really do start to wish it never existed!

Melon
Than you are realy looking forward to the next generation of people in family counceling,....

The Christian Taliban

By Stephen Pizzo, AlterNet
March 28, 2004

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18259
Old 03-31-2004, 04:27 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Yep, I guess all Christians are like those people

OK, whatever

I happen to find groups like that "Focus on the Family" repugnant, and I'd venture a guess that there might be other Christians who do as well. I just wanted to make that clear before anyone might accuse me of supporting or defending them in any way. I just got confused about why those so called "statistics" were here, I guess it was just too early in the morning...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Re: The Censors are annoying me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Justified
so apparently you are not allowed to say "Jesus" on TV. Janet Jackson was censored last night for saying "Jesus" when responding to Dave Letterman's questions about the Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction". Seriously these censors are getting out of control.
I really doubt anyone is enforcing the Third Commandment. Society is barely cognizant of the Third Commandment.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:51 AM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Jackson's use of the word "Jesus" was colloquial. It had nothing to do with religious beliefs or God.