The Case For Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rate of population growth and the economy of ranchers don't coincide. So we have slaughter houses using cattle like a production line and not feeding them right.

All in all American farmers and ranchers are getting screwed left and right. There are so many issues dealing with our farmers and ranchers, I don't know where to begin. The majority of our farmers, who you would think would vote Republican are changing their votes because the laissez-faire approach of the Republicans isn't working.

But I like butter better!

Anyway, I don't buy American butter. I buy Anchor brand, which I believe is from New Zealand.

It's cheaper and I'm guessing the cows get treated a little better and are healthier than U.S. cows.

I used to make my own butter. We bought milk directly from a farmer and then would skim most of the cream off and make butter. It was easy and was especially great for baking.

I never made it from sour cream though, although other people did. I really hate sour butter, always made me wanna hurl.

Ick I hate butter. It doesn't spread. I prefer margarine (or "oleo" we call it) because it's thinner and has a saltier taste. I despise anything dairy except some cheeses.

my favorite lady on TV likes butter ...

Paula20Deen202.jpg

Butter. Margarine.
Just stay away from the margarine which has TRANS FAT laced throughout it. Just check the ingrediants and if the word HYDRONGENATED is anywhere to be found STAY AWAY!!!!

angelordevil said:
If margarine is the healthier choice, I wonder why "Peanut Margarine" hasn't been invented yet?

omg why hasn't anyone invented this yet??????

:drool:

seriously, margarine is apparently one enzyme or protein or something away from being a plastic. it's enough to make me avoid both of them entirely.

Is there any special provision for those that buy Extra Movie Theater Butter microwave popcorn?

Actually peanut butter is more like peanut margerine, unless you buy the natural, old fashioned kind that has a layer of oil on the top. They are both made with hydrogenated oils which are terribly unhealthy. Butter may have more fat, but it is a healthier kind of fat.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/margarine.html

:der:
But, butter isn't necessarily the healthier alternative. While butter and Margarine have similar caloric values, butter is made from milk fat and is generally is much higher than margarine in saturated fat, which is also known to be detrimental to heart health. Margarine contains small amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which are generally considered healthier than saturated. According to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, switching from butter to margarine can greatly reduce blood cholesterol levels. Further, not all margarine is created equal. Many brands have developed semi-solid spreads without hydrogenation - and thus, no trans-fat. Most brands that are trans-fat free proudly and prominently state so on their packaging.

The butter versus margarine debate often comes down to the "naturalness" of each product. Margarine is indeed a durable foodstuff that can survive outside refrigeration without spoiling. However, its durability is not because margarine is chemically similar to plastic, as the letter above asserts. Rather, margarine is made from vegetable oils (corn, canola, olive, etc.), which are less susceptible to bacteria and fungi than dairy fats.

It is not true that margarine is "but ONE MOLECULE from being PLASTIC," and, even if it was, this doesn't mean that eating margarine is like eating plastic (though some would argue it tastes like it). Many items in nature are chemically similar to one another, but that doesn't make them similar in appearance or effect. It's not the molecules that a substance is made of that defines it, but rather how those molecules are arranged. Both butter and margarine contain fats, which are basically groupings of the elements carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The difference is how those atoms are bonded together. (Naturally occurring fatty acids generally have one "cis" orientation, meaning both hydrogen atoms are on the same side as the carbon atoms. Trans-fatty acids, logically, have a "trans" orientation, meaning that at least one hydrogen atom is opposite the carbons. Essentially, the molecules making up both butter and margarine contain the same atoms, just in different configurations. Margarine has much more in common chemically with butter than it does plastic.

And then on to:

We'll give the final word on this argument to the American Heart Association (who'd know more than the ironhorse and his two-bit website link!), which addresses the 'butter v. margarine' debate on its web site:

Butter is rich in both saturated fat and cholesterol, so it's potentially highly atherogenic. That means it contributes to the build up of cholesterol and other substances in artery walls. Such plaque deposits increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.

Most margarine is made from vegetable fat and provides no dietary cholesterol. The more liquid the margarine (in tub or liquid form), the less hydrogenated it is and the less trans fatty acids it contains. On the basis of current data, we recommend that consumers follow these tips:

*Use naturally occurring, unhydrogenated oil such as canola or olive oil when possible.

*Look for processed foods made with unhydrogenated oil rather than hydrogenated oil or saturated fat.

*Use margarine as a substitute for butter, and choose soft (liquid or tub) margarines over harder, stick forms. Use margarine with no more than 2 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon and with liquid vegetable oil as the first ingredient.

Maggie1 said:
Organic butter:up: Organic farmers:up:

:up: I choose organic butter and eat it in moderation. In fact, dairy products are the one food group where I pretty consistently buy only organic. I find margarine to be vile and am offended by the very sight, smell and taste of it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom