The California NAACP does not speak for us - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I guess having someone below you is preferable than standing all on the same level though.

yes, absolutely.

this is why, in much of, say, rap -- and the biggest perpetrator of this being Eminem, who i'm a fan of, btw -- that it is perfectly acceptable to make gay slurs because, hey, i might be black and poor and uneducated, or white and poor and uneducated (and because i rap and worship black rappers, i suppose traditional racism is out of the question), but at least i'm not gay.

we all need someone to kick to make ourselves feel better, don't we?

Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:28 AM
DON'T get me started on Eminem.

Should I break your heart, Irvine, by saying that Bono is a big fan of his, because he is fascinated with him on a personal level ("but for the grace of God, Ali, and U2 when I was 16, there go I." He was going down Em's road in those 2 yrs between his mother's death and the band. He knew Ali in a schoolfriend sense for 3 yrs but they didn't start a relationship until he was 16.) THis is the only time I don't agree with Bono here, but at least I can understand why the friendship, at least on an intellectual level. Maybe Bono is trying to "convert" him. Who knows?

Old 04-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I don't think even situation has to line up perfectly with another to be be worthy of similar consideration
Exactly. No, gay people haven't been enslaved or kept in the back of a bus like black people have, but they're still facing discrimination. Discrimination can come in any form-anyone can experience it. And yes, gay people are being denied their rights: the right to the pursuit of happiness. They aren't being allowed to do something that would make them happy, just as interracial couples were denied their happiness at one time, or just as black people were denied their happiness (after all, I can imagine that most people aren't happy when they get banned from going to some show they really wanted to see or sitting anywhere they wanted in a building or a vehicle or something like that). It really amazes me that some people don't get that.

Angela
Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

My first thoughts: On this crayon gig with black, white, yellow, red ...

It's a real drag that keeps us from coming together.
Yeah and straight, gay, sinner, bigger sinner...

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

I think it's time we started thinking about the human race.

Quite contradicting given your view that it's OK to create 2nd class citizens by not allowing them the same rights as you. Do you even read your own posts?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
DON'T get me started on Eminem.

Should I break your heart, Irvine, by saying that Bono is a big fan of his, because he is fascinated with him on a personal level ("but for the grace of God, Ali, and U2 when I was 16, there go I." He was going down Em's road in those 2 yrs between his mother's death and the band. He knew Ali in a schoolfriend sense for 3 yrs but they didn't start a relationship until he was 16.) THis is the only time I don't agree with Bono here, but at least I can understand why the friendship, at least on an intellectual level. Maybe Bono is trying to "convert" him. Who knows?

not at all -- re-read my post; i'm an Eminem fan as well. as much as i'd do anything to prevent my 11 year old from buying his records, his talent is astonishing, and he's sociologically fascinating as well for the reasons i mentioned above.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Exactly. No, gay people haven't been enslaved or kept in the back of a bus like black people have, but they're still facing discrimination. Discrimination can come in any form-anyone can experience it. And yes, gay people are being denied their rights: the right to the pursuit of happiness. They aren't being allowed to do something that would make them happy, just as interracial couples were denied their happiness at one time, or just as black people were denied their happiness (after all, I can imagine that most people aren't happy when they get banned from going to some show they really wanted to see or sitting anywhere they wanted in a building or a vehicle or something like that). It really amazes me that some people don't get that.

Angela

and gay people get killed for simply being gay, both in the West and certainly all over the world. gay-bashings and lynchings have much in common.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:38 AM   #22
Babyface

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Quote:

Angela

well said!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Thanks, Marie .

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and gay people get killed for simply being gay, both in the West and certainly all over the world. gay-bashings and lynchings have much in common.
Yes. Good point to add. Very true. Matthew Shepard, anyone?

Angela
Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Thanks, Marie .

Yes. Good point to add. Very true. Matthew Shepard, anyone?

Angela

and Matthew Shepard is one of thousands. we don't hear about most of these cases.

and we could start a whole other thread about gay teens who kill themselves.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
New Yorker

Hm...I find this position quite interesting. Only 40 years ago, a black person was banned from marrying a white person. I believe the case was Love vs. Virginia and it made it to the Supreme Court. In that case, the SC said that you could not discriminate against marriage based on race. You know the NAACP today would be all over a state trying to ban marriage between a black and white person. So why are they against this?

And you wonder why "keeping it on the down low" has become a topic of interest for news programs now.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I was thinking about the down low thing too sharky

Pardon my ignorance about the topic, but just from seeing the Oprah show, I thought most of those men insisted they aren't gay? Maybe they're just in denial
Old 04-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #27
War Child

Old 04-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

tonight, during her HBO special, Whoopi Goldberg: "gay people are the new black people."
Old 04-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
tonight, during her HBO special, Whoopi Goldberg: "gay people are the new black people."
I love her ripping on Leviticus! It was hillarious.