The bloody battle of 08 - Guliani vs. Obama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
I'm casting my prediction out there fairly early...it will be Rudy Guliani vs. Barak Obama in the presidential race of 2008. By the time the actual election comes about Hillary will have run out of steam and the republicans will take anyone who actually can keep the Whitehouse (which will be Guliani). Despite the republicans absolutely horrible record these past 8 years the race will be very close. Closer than everyone thinks possible now. Partly due to the fact that many southern republicans will rally to Guliani despite his pro-choice, pro-gay stances just to prevent a Black man from winning the presidency. Right now (March 2007) my gut tells me Barak Obama will become the next president of the United States. Any thoughts people???

yeah. you're wrong. :wink:

hillary will be the next president of the united states. after being through two wars (one of them apparently hopeless) and listened to W's macho rhetoric for 8 years, the american people are ready for their first female president. mind you, its not a coincidence that hillary has decided to run now.

Last edited:
Guiliani will not get the GOP vote, they are still looking for someone to cater more to the CC side, otherwise they won't win.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Huckabee? Really? Is that just your canidate or do you honestly think he has a chance?

I actually don't know. I just thought I'd throw a name out there. So far, he's the only GOP candidate I'd vote for.

It is way too early. I don't think anyone really predicted John Kerry at this point 4 years ago. I am sure there will be a suprise somewhere.

I think Clinton and Obama will beat each other up and leave the door open for #3 (if that is Edwards). I think the Dems best chance is someone that isn't too "anti-war" and is big on economic reform (we'll probably be in a recession - at least I'm sure the Dems hope we are. That would be certain victory), the environment, and stopping illegal immigration.

On the GOP side, it is anyone's game. Romney looks like a Kerry-like flip flopper. And I honestly don't think a Mormon has a chance to win Middle America. Guiliani is okay, but having 3 marriages doesn't help shore up the Evangelicals. McCain seems like a decent choice, and should be the front runner. I think he's also a bit of a flip-flopper. That he is not frunt-runner seems to say that voters are holding out for someone better. Huckabee is probably too far behind at this point. But he is the only one that seems like a classic conservative.

AEON said:

I think the Dems best chance is someone that isn't too "anti-war" and is big on economic reform (we'll probably be in a recession - at least I'm sure the Dems hope we are. That would be certain victory), the environment, and stopping illegal immigration.

I really don't see being a pro-war canidate helping anyone next election, I think most people conservatives included are fed up with the way the war is going. So any alternative will help a canidate.
AEON said:

Huckabee is probably too far behind at this point. But he is the only one that seems like a classic conservative.

Seems more like a "classic" neo-con than a classic conservative.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Guiliani will not get the GOP vote, they are still looking for someone to cater more to the CC side, otherwise they won't win.
Thats what has been said for like the last 4 years; but the polling among those very CC would beg to differ.

A_Wanderer said:
Thats what has been said for like the last 4 years; but the polling among those very CC would beg to differ.

I don't think that polling is necessarily indicative here. These people won't vote for somebody else - they'll stay home on election night. A poll won't reveal that at this point because they are not polling likely voters.

Harry Vest said:
Partly due to the fact that many southern republicans will rally to Guliani despite his pro-choice, pro-gay stances just to prevent a Black man from winning the presidency.

This is from your years of experience living in the South? Ignorant bigot!

i fear that the only thing that can save the Republicans from completely imploding -- though it's arguable that they might have just done that this week with the Libby verdict validating the extent to which the nation was lied to in order to go to war, the Coulter slur, the firing of attorneys who didn't tow the republican line, the neglect of Iraq war veterans after undermining them in the field -- the only thing that could "get the band back together" is the prospect of an HRC presidency.

i think HRC is fine. i think she's been a shrewd, effective Senator.

but if you truly want change, if you truly want the Republicans of the Bush era vanquished and to turn a new page in politics, please, vote Obama.

so far. things could change.

the democrats have much stronger profiles than the republicans this time.

Re: Re: The bloody battle of 08 - Guliani vs. Obama

mattgerth said:

This is from your years of experience living in the South? Ignorant bigot!
Is this the same "south" that hundreds and hundreds screamed and yelled obscenities at little black children trying to go to school, lynched young black males for even glancing at a white woman and treated people like fuckin dirt up until the federal Government had to step in??? That same "south" - you bet!!!
Having said that I'm sure there are lots of great people (Black and White) in the south - but you have to admit it has it's history. The "north" wasn't innocent either I realise this but ...oh fuck it why am I trying to explain myself. Whatever.

srsly, i think it will be hillary vs. edwards at the primaries, and hillary will win.

i dont believe obama has a chance, at all.

U2Man said:
srsly, i think it will be hillary vs. edwards at the primaries, and hillary will win.

i dont believe obama has a chance, at all.

I used to think the same way.

But there's a feeling I have about Obama. I'm not sure if he'll be able to top HRC, but he will finish head and shoulders above Edwards.

you liberal types got my hopes up in the last US election. i can't help but feel it's the same all over again. mind you, it's hard to pay much close attention from this distance away. still, i dont care if the people elect a taxidermist's pet pig; it has to be better than the "missing link" the republicans have cast and bronzed for the last too many years.

Re: Re: Re: The bloody battle of 08 - Guliani vs. Obama

Harry Vest said:

Is this the same "south" that hundreds and hundreds screamed and yelled obscenities at little black children trying to go to school, lynched young black males for even glancing at a white woman and treated people like fuckin dirt up until the federal Government had to step in??? That same "south" - you bet!!!
Having said that I'm sure there are lots of great people (Black and White) in the south - but you have to admit it has it's history. The "north" wasn't innocent either I realise this but ...oh fuck it why am I trying to explain myself. Whatever.

It's cool man, you can stereotype the American South, just about any subdivison of American Christians, the American White populace or (mostly) just Americans in general around here.

Par for the course.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The bloody battle of 08 - Guliani vs. Obama

U2DMfan said:

It's cool man, you can stereotype the American South, just about any subdivison of American Christians, the American White populace or (mostly) just Americans in general around here.

Par for the course.

You know, we Germans are still all Nazis, because nothing changes. Never.
At least not for some people, looking at Harry Vests' attitude.

I have a question. (Btw am not American so please bear with my ignorance)

How is it going to work for the primaries with both parties choosing a candidate at the same time? I only remember the ones for the last Democratic nomination, when the Republicans already had their candidtate - Bush. Will the voting take place at the same time? Like, will there be this huge Super Tuesday with both Democrats and Republicans voting for their respective candidates at the same time?

Primaries and caucuses take place at different times. Not every state votes on Super Tuesday, but enough of them do. You got it.

I think Rudi will be up against Hillary in the election. I believe that the Republicans will be looking for a more moderate candidate to lure back voters that went demotcatic for the Senatorial elections. Hillary and the Clinton political machine will tear apart an inexperienced and vulnerable candidate such as Obama

A Democrat needn't carry the South to win the popular vote--Bill Clinton and Al Gore already proved that. Of course Southern Republicans will vote Republican; that's a no-brainer. At this point I don't personally find it likely that any of the Democratic candidates would perform all that well in the South, but then again that's what they said about Carter before he swept it.

ETA: Although...in what right now seems the unlikely event that it came down to Giuliani vs. Edwards, then in that case I could possibly see Edwards cleaning up big in the South based on "native son" appeal, despite being a Democrat. Romney vs. Edwards, maybe the same story, maybe not. However, in order for either of those to happen Edwards would have to win the nomination first, and he's got a long way to go there. And, again, what happens in the South doesn't automatically decide the election; that depends on what happens elsewhere.

These examples are really outside the thread topic though.

Last edited:
anitram said:

I used to think the same way.

But there's a feeling I have about Obama. I'm not sure if he'll be able to top HRC, but he will finish head and shoulders above Edwards.

I have a feeling too...but I'm scared something will happen to him if there's a serious chance he might be elected President. You'd like to think the country was beyond that, but I'm concerned...

CTU2fan said:

I have a feeling too...but I'm scared something will happen to him if there's a serious chance he might be elected President. You'd like to think the country was beyond that, but I'm concerned...

I feel exactly the same way - like a encore of RFK in 1968. Let's hope not but there's alot of crazy SOB's running around these days - not to mention an inside job by the Republicans. OH NO he's talking conspiracy.

Back
Top Bottom