The Bigly 2016 US Presidential Election Thread, Part XV - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
They need to be crushed.

Electorally, absolutely.

But not when it comes to actual governance.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #122
She's the One

Local Time: 11:25 AM
I don't know; they're seriously threatening to withhold SCOTUS confirmations for the bext four years. They need to be made irrelevant and powerless.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #123
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I don't know; they're seriously threatening to withhold SCOTUS confirmations for the bext four years. They need to be made irrelevant and powerless.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Let them marginalize and ghettoize themselves. A crushing electoral victory will hopefully send a message that obstruction is not the way to retain power. It's already becoming effectively a party of white identity politics, the Romney faction may permanently split (or the Trump TV crowd may).

I just don't think we need to Treaty of Versailles a political party.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #124
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
this might be the dumbest post you've ever made, and that's saying something.

i'm getting really damn sick of this insinuation that somehow a hillary presidency is going to spell doom for america, just in a different way than trump would. "the worst candidate ever", "she's evil", "further despair", like seriously, fuck off. you clearly don't know what true "evil" is, and if you think she's even in the bottom 100 of worst candidates ever then you might as well just post "i know nothing at all about american history" because you're broadcasting that you're a complete idiot. george wallace? andrew jackson? you honestly think she's that much worse than any of the idiots who ran for the GOP nomination this time? hell fucking no. "evil", jesus tapdancing christ. like she's just the white lady version of robert fucking mugabe (or idi amin, or pol pot, or whatever other corrupt tinpot third-world dictator) or someshit. it's so goddam asinine that i instantly lose all respect for the intelligence of a person who seriously thinks that way, because it's absolutely fucking brain-dead stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There are valid criticisms of Hillary but calling her evil is the luxury of a person who has been lucky enough not to experience real evil in life.

As an aside I know people like to jump on BMP here but he is right about one thing - the GOP has become the party of no compromise. Candidly they have been better at digging in their heels since the gerrymandering. To get anything done you really do need to bend WAY too far in their direction. All the more reason to vote D up and down the ticket and hopefully crush them.
These, pretty much.

There is some merit in the argument that the fixation on Trump obscures Hillary's flaws, but ironically I think many of the people who pursue that line of argument obscure Hillary's flaws too. Legitimate critiques are lost within the wailing and gnashing of teeth about her being practically the Apocalypse, proudly sponsored by Big Business. Disagreement with any of her stances does not require depicting her as the devil, or as on the same level as Trump when she quite obviously is not. So instead of an actual debate about real shortcomings, we just have loud shouting about imagined evil.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
im definitely rolling my eyes at you, peef.
Alright. Cool, man.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Alright. Cool, man.
yea, a politician said it's nice having the support of people with money. stop the fucking presses so we can tell everyone about this new development - wealth brings political influence. shocking.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #127
She's the One

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Let them marginalize and ghettoize themselves. A crushing electoral victory will hopefully send a message that obstruction is not the way to retain power. It's already becoming effectively a party of white identity politics, the Romney faction may permanently split (or the Trump TV crowd may).

You're usually right about these things and far more rational about them than I am.

I still won't vote for one. (I may never have to here in Cali. )
Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
yea, a politician said it's nice having the support of people with money. stop the fucking presses so we can tell everyone about this new development - wealth brings political influence. shocking.
Well sure I guess, though these kind of spats show just how far the window has drifted, even among vaguely left/centre-left people.

Do you know what Franklin Delano Roosevelt said about the extremely rich of his era? "I welcome their hatred."
Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

different times were different.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #130
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I don't agree with this. Never rely on your opponent to "marginalise and ghettoise themselves". Do it for them.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Electorally, absolutely.

But not when it comes to actual governance.
They won't compromise. I don't get why people are blind to this or act like I'm being a dick when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm totally down with finding the middle ground with Republicans on minimum wage, immigration, etc. The problem is that there is no middle ground. They refuse to budge. You've had eight years of their obstructionism to paint this truth for you time and again.

As I've said for about the dozenth time in this thread, I am for compromise. It's not my way or the highway when it comes to governing. They won't compromise, therefore, there is nothing Clinton or any Democratic President could do to accomplish anything left leaning. It's an absolute fact.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:06 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Tell me again, folks, how the hard left and the hard right can't be compared.

Just switch the words out and you get something right out of the mouths of the more deplorable parts of the talk radio swamp.
Seriously, go take a critical thinking class if you can't understand where I'm coming from here.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
different times were different.
Right-ho, you sure told me, man!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:45 AM   #134
45:33

There seems to be a tendency in here to say "oh all politicians are tied up with money". "oh all politicians are strategic" regarding Hillary. To wave away legitimate issues. I agree with Peef in that once Trump loses and Hillary goes out on her own, the positivity might wear off fairly quickly.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #135
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Seriously, go take a critical thinking class if you can't understand where I'm coming from here.

Seriously, go look at what you wrote and tell me you aren't advocating the kind of obstructionism of which you're criticizing the right.