The Bigly 2016 US Presidential Election Thread, Part XV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of anecdotal reports of Trump signs vastly outnumbering Clinton signs. .
I heard a story on the radio a couple weeks ago how Crooked Hillary's campaign is more or less eschewing the old lawn signs as they find them to be a thing of the past and is instead sinking their money into internet advertising.
Considering how many ads I've seen on my computer screen asking me to sign the petition to "be with her", I'd say the story is accurate.
Lack of Clinton signs is indicative of nothing, Orange Donnie's getting rolled in 16 days unless we find out Crooked Hillary is actually Hitler's granddaughter in the interim.

I saw the first two debates, but only caught parts of the third. I just can't stand listening to Trump bellyache and babble on anymore.

I think if there's anything to worry about its that Trump's support may be understated in some parts of the country, and/or those who support Hillary don't come in the numbers they need because they just assume she's going to roll to victory.

This is my biggest concern. I really don't want Hilary supporters to just sit back and assume she's got this. Yeah, Trump's had a nasty few weeks recently, to put it mildly...but that just makes his supporters dig in their heels even more. And even people who aren't big Trump fans have come to his defense in recent weeks claiming all the criticism of him and the things he's said is "overblown".

As for the signs, I've seen a couple Hilary signs and a couple Trump ones, but for the most part the lawns here are pretty empty in general. My family does know people at our workplaces who've expressed support for Trump, though. And on our local news the other night, they shared the results of an area poll asking who viewers thought won the final debate...and Trump got, like, 51% of viewers claiming he'd won, I think the number was.

(Trump's got a lot of fans here in Iowa. It's very disconcerting and makes me really nervous about his chances of carrying this state come Election Day. If he wins Iowa, I may start looking at other states to move to.)

Cool. I've been feeling like Internet Paranoia is something I've been lacking in my life lately.

(Also, I did catch up on the last thread. :crack: )

I'm a little ashamed to admit I watched the debate while on Maui. But in my defense, it was on in the middle of the afternoon, which was my daily siesta time anyway. And I had some really good beer from Maui Brewing Company. :up:

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1477283796.586368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I heard a story on the radio a couple weeks ago how Crooked Hillary's campaign is more or less eschewing the old lawn signs as they find them to be a thing of the past and is instead sinking their money into internet advertising.

Considering how many ads I've seen on my computer screen asking me to sign the petition to "be with her", I'd say the story is accurate.

Lack of Clinton signs is indicative of nothing, Orange Donnie's getting rolled in 16 days unless we find out Crooked Hillary is actually Hitler's granddaughter in the interim.

I don't actually think number of signs I see is indicative of anything (I was mostly making a joke, saying my purely anecdotal noting of signs is "super scientific"), aside from a basic thought about how I've seen almost none for either side. Around here you'd think the biggest election coming up is for county sheriff if you go purely off number of signs. Those things are everywhere. In seriousness, I made sure I'm registered to vote back in May when I renewed my drivers license so if the unthinkable awful happens and the orange clown wins at least I can bitch about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, local election signs are far more prevalent around here as well.

Though every afternoon on my drive home I do pass under a guy who is on a route 3 overpass with a Trump sign and some other home made sign which changes daily (last Thursday he just had "Benghazi" on a piece of paper in sharpie).

I think the only thing that MAY understate some of the Trump support is the fact that some of his supporters may be too ashamed to admit it to a pollster on the phone but will end up voting for him. This is supported by the fact that he pretty consistently performs better in automated polls (when a robot calls you) than in polls where real, live people call. However I think this has to be a fairly small number because most people who are capable of feeling shame in respect of voting for Trump are probably not voting for him anymore.

In my view, absent something catastrophic happening in the next 2 weeks, the only question will be which/how many traditionally Republican states Hillary takes.

On the reverse side, I also think that Trump supporters are also some of the loudest and proudest.

I feel like I'd be much more likely to see Trump paraphernalia... a bumper sticker, a shirt or hat, something with the orange man's branding. Whereas I still feel like most Clinton supporters/voters are rolling their eyes and are the clear majority.

I live in super conservative neighborhood, and I haven't seen one Trump sign. It's a heavily Mormon neighborhood, though, so that may explain it. There were Romney signs last time, obviously. There are a ton of school board signs, because the other third of the neighborhood are teachers. (The last third are cops.)

Yeah, I can't believe Texas (or Georgia) are not solid red for this election.

It's not really the shifting demographic, of course. I mean I'm sure part of it is. But a lot of it... it's Donald Trump.

How I would love to see Clinton pull a Reagan and color the map blue. If only to show the world we aren't that stupid.

I'm thinking Trump is actually going to close some of the gap between him and Clinton from now until election day. My reasoning is that he's basically the reverse of every candidate in his position. So, Mitt Romney, for example, was screwed once the debates were over because it left him without a national stage to make up any ground whereas the debates are what really hurt Trump and as he is able to distance himself from them as the weeks go on, it seems like he can only start to improve a little.

Yeah, I can't believe Texas (or Georgia) are not solid red for this election.

It's not really the shifting demographic, of course. I mean I'm sure part of it is. But a lot of it... it's Donald Trump.

How I would love to see Clinton pull a Reagan and color the map blue. If only to show the world we aren't that stupid.

I mean, with a normal candidate running against a normal Democrat, the Republicans would have flipped Iowa back into their column and probably Ohio while North Carolina would be a nail biter again. That's about it. Everything else would have been just like 2012.

So yes, it really does all have to do with Trump who vastly underperforms in red states, making up the ground in the heartland and rust belt. Had he been able to keep his trap shut after taking the lead in the primary, he may have been able to be fairly scary for Democrats in a lot of places and build up an Electoral wall to 270.

Texas is within the margin of error.

TEXAS.

Yea, I know there's the dream of turning Texas purple within the next 20 years due to the demographic shifts, but nobody expected it this soon.

I think the projections are only 12 years for Texas to turn, based on demographics.

Texas is within the margin of error.

TEXAS.

Yea, I know there's the dream of turning Texas purple within the next 20 years due to the demographic shifts, but nobody expected it this soon.

I'm a bit upset because I'm unexpectedly traveling the whole time during early voting and Election Day (an American experience that I will get from Toronto), and it's too late for me to realistically get an absentee ballot, so I can't be part of the Texas for Hillary effort. :(

I almost missed the absentee deadline myself -- I don't have a mailing or permanent U.K. address so getting the ballot was a nightmare.

While I don't see much changing in regards to the economy under Clinton (meaning she'll be just like Obama), I do really hope she has learned from the past in regards to foreign policy.

I think best case she finds ways to lessen our impact and footprint in the Middle East. Worst case she turns out to be a true war hawk. Odds are, she follows the Obama method in regards to drone strikes, special forces, and negotiations.

Yep, the bigger the Clinton win, the more it will do to help salvage the US's international reputation. Trump has inflicted some pretty grave wounds.

They chose a wonderful time to announce that. Luckily, Clinton has the history installed of "criticizing" parts of Obamacare recently. This was probably intentional.

I wish they'd kill this health insurance crap and just give us health coverage.

I'm in the United Kingdom right now. I had to go to the hospital yesterday (side note, because everyone is lazy on the weekend and doesn't do shit so it was the only place I could get urgent care). I literally went to the hospital for a freaking sinus infection and ear infection. It took the same long ass wait as it would in the US, except I didn't leave $1500 in debt like each of the last two times I went to a hospital in the United States. I went to the hospital here for convenience! Imagine such a novelty.

Excuse my insurance rent but fuck that system. Obamacare did help me as a college student who would've been another $1500 in debt had I gone to the hospital on my previous insurance. But health insurance as an idea is fucking stupid.

They chose a wonderful time to announce that. Luckily, Clinton has the history installed of "criticizing" parts of Obamacare recently. This was probably intentional.

I'm in the United Kingdom right now. I had to go to the hospital yesterday (side note, because everyone is lazy on the weekend and doesn't do shit so it was the only place I could get urgent care). I literally went to the hospital for a freaking sinus infection and ear infection. It took the same long ass wait as it would in the US, except I didn't leave $1500 in debt like each of the last two times I went to a hospital in the United States. I went to the hospital here for convenience! Imagine such a novelty.

Excuse my insurance rent but fuck that system. Obamacare did help me as a college student who would've been another $1500 in debt had I gone to the hospital on my previous insurance. But health insurance as an idea is fucking stupid.

Obamacare had to slowly show the uncaring that denying healthcare is wrong, that private insurance is not the correct way to approach medicine, and that they have to admit they wanted these fundamentals.

[...]

Seriously. For outsiders, apart from the intense religiosity of US politics (which has been comparatively absent this time around), healthcare is easily the most baffling aspect. The idea that somebody may even need to go into debt for routine treatments is incomprehensible, and the sky hasn't fallen either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom