The Bible proves more historically accurate: Exodus Decoded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]The story of the Exodus invokes an epic tale--Pharaohs and Israelites, plagues and miracles, splitting of the sea and drowning of an army, and Moses. It's at the heart of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. After much research--working with archaeologists, Egyptologists, geologists, and theologians--filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici concluded that the Exodus took place hundreds of years earlier than thought. With a new timetable, Jacobovici reexamined artifacts and discovered that the traditional consensus on the date was reached without reference to Judaic texts that record the oral traditions. When Jacobovici consulted these texts, they revealed names of people and places unknown to researchers until recently when extensive excavations in the Nile Delta took place. Teaming up with special effects designers, he created a unique digital experience of the Exodus. Blending archaeological findings with eye-catching effects, Jacobovici creates a virtual museum to showcase his discoveries. TVPG V cc
[/Q]

I just saw an interview about this show. I found it quite interesting that he found archeological evidence 300 years older than what historians pinpoint the exodus at. He says that the bible itself is more historically accurate than the timeline we have been given.

Anyone else interested in this show or heard something about it?

I still believe that Exodus, like much of the Old Testament, is legendary. However, many legends have a hint of historical basis to them. As such, I'm not surprised that they're uncovering archaeological evidence of places. The importance attached to such places, however, can be more than embellished.

They would achieve quite a fete if they could find Egyptian evidence that Jews were enslaved in Egypt. To date, there hasn't been any, and, as such, it's thought to be mythical by many secular researchers. The motive wouldn't have been devious; the Jews had just been freed from exile after 300 years (which can be historically verified), and the story of slavery in Egypt would've gave them comfort that, not only had this happened to them before, but that they survived and became more powerful after it. The hope, as such, would be that they would have the strength to rebuild and become powerful again.

I would certainly be interested in seeing this sometime, though. Perhaps there's been more current research that I haven't come across yet.

Melon

Well, he showed a clip that would indicate evidence of slavery. I am going to have to watch the whole thing. I am going to try and watch it Sun. Night. Monday, Aug. 21 is our anniversary and I have plans.

:wink:

Dreadsox said:
[Q]The story of the Exodus invokes an epic tale--Pharaohs and Israelites, plagues and miracles, splitting of the sea and drowning of an army, and Moses. It's at the heart of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. After much research--working with archaeologists, Egyptologists, geologists, and theologians--filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici concluded that the Exodus took place hundreds of years earlier than thought. With a new timetable, Jacobovici reexamined artifacts and discovered that the traditional consensus on the date was reached without reference to Judaic texts that record the oral traditions. When Jacobovici consulted these texts, they revealed names of people and places unknown to researchers until recently when extensive excavations in the Nile Delta took place. Teaming up with special effects designers, he created a unique digital experience of the Exodus. Blending archaeological findings with eye-catching effects, Jacobovici creates a virtual museum to showcase his discoveries. TVPG V cc
[/Q]

I just saw an interview about this show. I found it quite interesting that he found archeological evidence 300 years older than what historians pinpoint the exodus at. He says that the bible itself is more historically accurate than the timeline we have been given.

Anyone else interested in this show or heard something about it?

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. I shall check it out. :up:

Dreadsox said:
Well, he showed a clip that would indicate evidence of slavery.

I hope it's concrete evidence from Egyptian sources, and not a retelling from Exodus just with an earlier timeframe.

Melon

melon said:
I still believe that Exodus, like much of the Old Testament, is legendary. However, many legends have a hint of historical basis to them. As such, I'm not surprised that they're uncovering archaeological evidence of places. The importance attached to such places, however, can be more than embellished.

They would achieve quite a fete if they could find Egyptian evidence that Jews were enslaved in Egypt. To date, there hasn't been any, and, as such, it's thought to be mythical by many secular researchers. The motive wouldn't have been devious; the Jews had just been freed from exile after 300 years (which can be historically verified), and the story of slavery in Egypt would've gave them comfort that, not only had this happened to them before, but that they survived and became more powerful after it. The hope, as such, would be that they would have the strength to rebuild and become powerful again.

I would certainly be interested in seeing this sometime, though. Perhaps there's been more current research that I haven't come across yet.

Melon

Your mind continues to impress me, Melon.

I cheated. Here is a summary of the claims this documentary makes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_Decoded

Too bad there isn't a spoiler tag in this forum (as there are in new versions of vBulletin), because there's a few comments I'd love to make. I don't want to spoil it for people who want to watch it.

Melon

How can you spoil Exodus? Don't we all know how it ends? :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up Dread. A few years back I was able to visit the "Land of Goshen". Should be very interesting.

WHAT: The Exodus Decoded, a documentary about a director's search for the truth behind the biblical tale

WHEN: 7 p.m. Aug. 20

Director Simcha Jacobovici.

WHERE: The History Channel

So, I recorded this and watched it tonite. Did anyone else take a look?

I found it interesting, but in many ways a rehash of a lot of ideas that I'd already heard. The logical origins of the plagues, the sea of reeds, the volcano figuring into the parting of the water, etc. Still, some intriguing archeological stuff. what I didn't appreciate was the simplistic assumptions that "this IS definite proof that Pharoah X was the one in the Bible", etc. A lot of the big assumptions seemed to me that they could be one of many possible interpretations.

Also the ending was way too preachy for my tastes. I have no problem with the idea that stories in the Bible are based in fact. It is what I would expect, although I don't read the Bible as a historical textbook. In my mind, if an event occurs, people will talk about it and tell the story to their children and eventually what gets written down will contain interpretations of real events. The last statements in the show seemed to insinuate that all of these natural events couldn't possibly have happened by coincidence without divine intervention. It sort of cheapened the whole thing for me and made it feel like the whole thing was a set-up for proselytizing.

anyways, thanks for the heads-up on the show, dread. It was definitely worth watching.

Back
Top Bottom