The Bible proves more historically accurate: Exodus Decoded - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:52 PM
So, I recorded this and watched it tonite. Did anyone else take a look?

I found it interesting, but in many ways a rehash of a lot of ideas that I'd already heard. The logical origins of the plagues, the sea of reeds, the volcano figuring into the parting of the water, etc. Still, some intriguing archeological stuff. what I didn't appreciate was the simplistic assumptions that "this IS definite proof that Pharoah X was the one in the Bible", etc. A lot of the big assumptions seemed to me that they could be one of many possible interpretations.

Also the ending was way too preachy for my tastes. I have no problem with the idea that stories in the Bible are based in fact. It is what I would expect, although I don't read the Bible as a historical textbook. In my mind, if an event occurs, people will talk about it and tell the story to their children and eventually what gets written down will contain interpretations of real events. The last statements in the show seemed to insinuate that all of these natural events couldn't possibly have happened by coincidence without divine intervention. It sort of cheapened the whole thing for me and made it feel like the whole thing was a set-up for proselytizing.

anyways, thanks for the heads-up on the show, dread. It was definitely worth watching.

"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:52 PM
I just saw this. I'm speechless. Incredible. I need to see it again.