The Bible: Infallible? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is the Bible Infallible?
Yes! Everything about the Bible is 100% infallible 4 9.76%
Yes! But I ignore most of the Mosaic Law, so I really mean "No" 1 2.44%
No! The Bible, while "inspired" by God, was written by imperfect humans 32 78.05%
No! The Bible is no more important than toilet paper, and I look forward to burning in hell 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2002, 10:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
OK, so who's the person I'm gonna burn in Hell with?

Oh and Speedracer --->
Please. The original post had no purpose other than to irritate people. And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:47 AM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
I recall reading this verse before but can't figure out where, exactly, it's from. Care to share, Bubba? It makes me laugh.
It is from 1 Corinthians 15, what is easily becoming one of my favorite chapters in the Bible:

Now, since our message is that Christ has been raised from death, how can some of you say that the dead will not be raised to life? If that is true, it means that Christ was not raised; and if Christ has not been raised from death, then we have nothing to preach and you have nothing to believe. More than that, we are shown to be lying about God, because we said that he raised Christ from death—but if it is true that the dead are not raised to life, then he did not raise Christ. For if the dead are not raised, neither has Christ been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is a delusion and you are still lost in your sins. It would also mean that the believers in Christ who have died are lost. If our hope in Christ is good for this life only and no more, then we deserve more pity than anyone else in all the world. - 1 Corinthians 15:12-19.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's so amusing about the verse: it emphasizes the folly of Christianity if Christ wasn't raised from the dead. But it begs the question: what if Jesus Christ DID return from the grave? If we are the most pitiful if we're wrong, what if we're right?

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist
i think this thread was meant to be a joke, but thanks for the written chapter .
No problem. This thread was a lemon; I figured I'd make lemonade.

Bubba

Old 07-23-2002, 01:39 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Betty Bowers - never without an honourary first stone.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:15 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My simple-minded, uneducated view?

Bible - infallible
people - fallible

Thus human interpretation throughout the years is strewn with error and misconception. Doesn't make the source material flawed.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:50 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 01:26 PM
This is precisely why I don't practice any particular religion. Whether or not the Bible is the word of God, it has been written and rewritten by fallable humans. Over the years, "religious leaders" have rewritten the bible (think King James Version) to make it into what they want. Even in it's purest form, these writings are still interpreted by humans.

The Bible is truly just a work of Literature, and can be taken to mean just about anything. In past years, it has been interpreted to say that slavery or homosexuality is natural and acceptable, or it can be interpereted to say the opposite. Who is any one human, or any one religion to say that "this is what God meant by this?"

I just don't think it's my place, or anyone else's for that matter, to interperet the language/writing of God.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:05 PM   #21
Refugee

Certainly, the Bible can be twisted to mean many different things - just like any other work of literature - but that doesn't mean that it is merely another work of literature.

While the Bible has been used in the past to justify slavery, Christians believe that this was a twisting of what the Bible actually says - it was mostly the result of taking verses out of context, interpreting one or two verses in a way that contradicts the Bible as a whole.

On the other hand, we have other interpretations - such as the interpretation that we are to love our neighbor and our enemy as ourselves. This interpretation of individual passages is consistent with the Bible as a whole; it can be concluded that this interpretation IS what the Bible really says.

The Bible is like a map: if you use anything other than the indicated "North" to align your map to magnetic north, the map will certainly be inconsistent and inaccurate.

But it's possible - and Christians believe - that if you align the map correctly (and one CAN determine if it's aligned correctly) then it is an accurate guide.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:24 PM   #22
Banned

it's a good book , story-book , anyway it means absolutely nothing
Old 07-23-2002, 11:11 PM   #23
Refugee

I wouldn't say that the bible means nothing. In most cases it is all we have in the case of history.
Eveyone belives in the bible, we just all have different interperitations. For example, an Atheist may not believe that the world exist under the supervision of a god, but they do believe that world exists. They may not belive that Jesus was the son of god, but they do beleive that Jesus was born, just not in the way the bible says.
See? different interperitations.

edited to point out that this was my 500th post and I'm now a War Child. Yes!
Old 07-24-2002, 12:30 AM   #24
Banned

it only depends with what type and how much of this " knowledge " your brains are full of , some people are just like zombies , i'm for buddism or Ja Rastafari
Old 08-02-2002, 10:55 PM   #25
Refugee

I do prefer the Satanic Bible over the Holy Bible
Old 08-03-2002, 10:01 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I think someone (I forget who) states that the Biblical support for slavery is a misinterpretation (I can only imagine my descendents 150 years later saying that Biblical support for homophobia is a misinterpretation, but I digress...). I do think it is quite difficult to misinterpret this:

Exodus 21:1-7: ""These are the rules you shall lay before [slaves]. When you purchase a Hebrew slave, he is to serve you for six years, but in the seventh year he shall be given his freedom without cost. If he comes into service alone, he shall leave alone; if he comes with a wife, his wife shall leave with him. But if his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall remain the master's property and the man shall leave alone. If, however, the slave declares, 'I am devoted to my master and my wife and children; I will not go free,' his master shall bring him to God and there, at the door or doorpost, he shall pierce his ear with an awl, thus keeping him as his slave forever. 'When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go free as male slaves do.'"

And if we wish to start talking about that arbitrary distinction between ritual Mosaic Law and actual Mosaic Law (I believe all of it was cast out in favor of the Golden Rule), let's visit the New Testament:

Titus 2:9-10: "Slaves are to be under the control of their masters in all respects, giving them satisfaction, not talking back to them or stealing from them, but exhibiting complete good faith, so as to adorn the doctrine of God our savior in every way."

In fact, even Jesus, supposedly, supports slavery:

Matthew 10:24-25: "No disciple is above his teacher, no slave above his master. It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, for the slave that he become like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more those of his household!"

This is perhaps why I've never really thought terribly highly of the Bible as an "infallible" work, because here we have support of an obviously repugnant institution. Even back in the Roman Empire, it is no less repugnant, as slaves were often made of cities and civilizations that the Romans conquered. And, yet, God supposedly supports it? Equally, I don't believe that God is homophobic, because, quite simply, there seems to be a lot of words put into His mouth even in the Bible that simply reflect biases and customs of the time. If God is timeless, which I believe, then why does "His book" always reflects cultural trends and biases of the time?

While GOP-Controlled Whortense may have voted for an enthusiastic #1 (), I'm a complete #3.

Melon
Old 08-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
In fact, even Jesus, supposedly, supports slavery:

Matthew 10:24-25: "No disciple is above his teacher, no slave above his master. It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, for the slave that he become like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more those of his household!"
But from this passage, could it not be inferred that Jesus is decreeing that slaves are the EQUALS of their masters (no more, no less)?

...Just my liberal Methodist interpretation...

~U2Alabama