The Bible: How Much of It Have You Read? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How much of the Bible have you read?
All of it: both the OT and NT. 16 27.59%
Some entire books. Not all. 23 39.66%
Some verses here and there. 17 29.31%
I've never read any of it. 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
My answer was "Some entire books. Not all."

Part of it was required reading in school ... yes, to the shock and amazement of some, we Catholics did indeed read and studies the Bible in school.

Some of it was a personal desire to read more of the Bible.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Great thread, Melon! I set out to read the entire Bible two years ago during my son's first year and I got through the entire NT, proverbs, psalms and then I can't get through Genisis! I get like half way and then get into something else or get too busy. I've read parts of other Old testament books, but not all of them. I do try to read the Bible every day. It's almost become like coffee or breakfast —*my day just isn't right without it.

I'm actually about to give the OT another go, but I'm kind of debating on whether I should just try reading The Message translation, have you heard of that? It's a modern translation of the Bible in more up-to-date language. Bono's read it and there's even a quote of him endorsing it on the back from a Rolling Stone interview. I highly recommend people check it out. It's very poetic and easy to read.

By the way Melon, I have to say I think it's pretty amazing that you can set aside certain feelings you have towards Christians, but still have an interest to study scripture. I applaud you for that and I encourage you to stick with it.

What have you read? From what I've read, I highly recommend psalms, proverbs, the Gospel of John, Romans, Ephisians and James. (Oh heck, they're all good.)

Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
My answer was "Some entire books. Not all."

Part of it was required reading in school ... yes, to the shock and amazement of some, we Catholics did indeed read and studies the Bible in school.

Some of it was a personal desire to read more of the Bible.
Ah yes, I have to do some of that, too.

Though, I just read the cliff notes for Acts of the Apostles. Does that mean I'm going to hell?

Old 04-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:10 PM
I've read Genesis and Exodus and I think that's about it.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I've read the story of Sdom and Gomorrah in Genesis, and all it says is that their sin was "grevious". What are you referring to? I'd like to read it.
Hebrew scripture references to the sins of Sodom:

* Deuteronomy 29:17-26 - Idolatry and images to false gods
* Deuteronomy 32:32-38 - Idolatry
* Isaiah 1:9-23 - Murder, greed, theft, rebellion, covetousness
* Isaiah 3:8-15 - Mistreating the poor
* Isaiah 3:11-19 - Arrogance
* Jeremiah 23:10-14 - Adultery, lying by priests and prophets
* Jeremiah 49:16-18 - Pride of the heart
* Jeremiah 50:2-40 - Idolatry and pride
* Lamentations 4:3-6 - Cruelty and failure to care for the young and poor
* Ezekiel 16:49-50 - Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.
* Amos 4:1-11 - Oppression and mistreating the poor
* Zephaniah 2:8 - Pride

New Testament references to the sins of Sodom

* Luke 17:26-29 - No specific sins mentioned.
* 2 Peter 2:6 - Living after ungodliness
* Jude 1:7-8 - Fornication with strange flesh (a direct reference to trying to have sex with *angels,* not other human beings; as such, this revulsion is more equivalent to "bestiality"--that is, having sex outside your species).

The "homosexual" interpretation appears once in the apocryphal, non-Biblical text, "The Book of Jubilees," which was written around 200 B.C. That's the origin of all the homophobia surrounding this passage.

In short: Sodom and Gomorrah are probably mostly metaphors for what God does to "bad cities." I tend to think that there's nothing specific that Sodom and Gomorrah did wrong.

Melon
Old 04-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Melon, thanks for taking the time to post those. I will read.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I'm kind of debating on whether I should just try reading The Message translation, have you heard of that? It's a modern translation of the Bible in more up-to-date language. Bono's read it and there's even a quote of him endorsing it on the back from a Rolling Stone interview. I highly recommend people check it out. It's very poetic and easy to read.
I own a copy of it. It's sits in my library in between my Biblical translations and the Dead Sea Scrolls / Gnostic gospels texts.

It's probably the only book that makes reading the Bible not seem dry and lofty. Of course, a lot of the "dry and lofty" comes from the Latin and the eventual English translations. The idea was that the Bible was meant to be written in conversational language. The Greek that St. Paul used to write the epistles was vernacular Greek, not official Greek. I know a lot of English speakers here scratch their head on the idea of two different languages--one vernacular and one official--but Latin was the same way, and Japanese, for instance, has three different alphabets, depending on how formal, casual, or sophisticated you want to be.

Peterson does a good job of keeping the spirit and intention of the passages, while writing it in modern conversational English.

Quote:
By the way Melon, I have to say I think it's pretty amazing that you can set aside certain feelings you have towards Christians, but still have an interest to study scripture. I applaud you for that and I encourage you to stick with it.
A lot of my arguments have been "semantical," at their core. When I rail against "religion" and "Christianity," I rail against the "institution of religion" and the "institution of Christianity." I believe that faith exists outside of human structures, and while I think the "Religious Left" isn't assertive enough, I'd probably fit in with that demographic.

Quote:
What have you read? From what I've read, I highly recommend psalms, proverbs, the Gospel of John, Romans, Ephisians and James. (Oh heck, they're all good.)
Well, I voted for item #2: read some books, not others. I like the Gospel of John the most. Romans is a good read and is very typical of Pauline "doublespeak" (appealing to the inherent sensibilities of the audience he's writing to, then concluding with his own, opposite sensibilities). Ecclesiastes is very cynical. The Song of Songs (Protestant: Song of Solomon) is a very lighthearted romp compared to the rest of the Bible, and I enjoy reading something so non-judgmental for once.

Melon
Old 04-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Melon, why are you so drawn to the Bible?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Melon, why are you so drawn to the Bible?
If I'm to understand everything from human culture to Western literature to art, it is necessary reading.

Plus, it's hard to escape it when you had 13 years of Catholic schooling.

Melon
Old 04-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What do you think of your Catholic schooling? Good things? Bad things?

(Sorry I keep asking questions, I just find you to be an interesting person.)
Old 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:10 PM
I've read the whole thing and I plan on reading it again as I don't think I got as much out of the Old Testament as I should've. I read it in order, and then I've re-read multiple translations of the New Testament, enough so that I've lost count of just how many. Seven, probably. I may've actually read the whole Old Testament twice, the second time out of order, but I'm honestly not sure.

Ecclesiastes and John remain two of my absolute favourite examples of writing. Not just from the Bible, but anything. Wonderful books.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
What do you think of your Catholic schooling? Good things? Bad things?
Contrary to my rather strong opinions against the Catholic Church, Catholic schooling is another story. The Catholic schools in my area had a strong tradition of secularism; that is, regardless of what government makes legal, you should live a better morality. That's ultimately why I am strongly secular, because I believe in allowing people to determine their own personal morality within their own religion and their own conscience.

The education, as well, was first-rate. Catholicism is pro-evolution (in the form of "intelligent design"), but my HS biology class only made one introductory reference to how religions have differing views on evolution, but emphasized how important it was to know evolution if you were going to be college-bound. From that moment forward, religion was never mentioned again in science class.

I appreciate how my schooling never once made me feel as if I had to abandon knowledge and reason to believe in God.

Quote:
(Sorry I keep asking questions, I just find you to be an interesting person.)
It's alright.

Melon
Old 04-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Cool. Thanks for sharing that. I appreciate your perspective.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm actually about to leave for a study my small group at church is doing on Galatians.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:10 PM
I tried to read the Bible cover to cover, but I stopped at the beginning of Exodus. I got distracted by all the other books I had to read for college, but I'd like to try again. Since then, I've been bouncing around the Bible. I've read the Gospels, parts of Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Acts, Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians.