The Bible and Spiritual Mediums - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:30 PM
The Bible and Spiritual Mediums

I wanted to get peoples' opinions on this topic. I believe that when God prohibits something in the Bible there is usually a logical basis behind the prohibition. I have read through portions of scripture that deal with spiritual mediums and find mainly blanket statements stating they are bad and not much else. Anyway, I have started to form my own opinion on the subject which I won't share at this time but I'd like to hear your ideas.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:30 AM
A prohibition against spiritual mediums is a logical extension of the First Commandment - Have no other gods.

When people look to spiritual mediums, psychics, fortune tellers, etc., they are seeking power, answers, direction, guidance from something other than God.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
The Fly

wow that cut right to the core of the issue. thats a great response.

so what do you think of them in general? how do they sometimes know stuff? demonic activity? When Saul visited the Witch at Endor they actually made contact with Samuel...
Old 11-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:30 AM
What do I think? Stay away! We are not to mess with stuff, even if we think it is innocent.

How do they know stuff? In general, they don't. Many are frauds that use simple techniques for extracting information, wording things with generalizations, or leading you to make connections between their statements and the facts of which they speak.

There may be some who do appear to use "supernatural" abilities. It is quite possible that demonic activity is at work. I generally hesitate at using such a label, as it may lead to over inclusion of activities in this category. But we cannot entirely dismiss this as a source either.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:30 AM
I dunno about mediums but I believe that people do see ghosts, cos my mother and my best friend do, all the time.

foray
Old 11-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

society is driven by money these days, and if deceiving people into believing that a person has all the answers people are desperate enough to fall for it. i personally have a lot of problems with much of what is said in the bible, so i try my best to follow the golden rule. that essentially covers everything.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:30 AM
What is a spiritual medium, exactly? By that, I mean, who fits into the category?

Fortune tellers?
Aura readers?
Reiki practitioners?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
The Fly

I was thinking mainly of people who can put you in contact with someone who is dead. I don't really know that much about the differences between soothsayers, fortune tellers, psychics and the like. I just used the term medium because I know someone who went to see one not long ago and thats what she called it.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dano
I was thinking mainly of people who can put you in contact with someone who is dead. I don't really know that much about the differences between soothsayers, fortune tellers, psychics and the like. I just used the term medium because I know someone who went to see one not long ago and thats what she called it.
I just think that those types of "mediums" tend to be phony and the people channeling those "mediums" will occasionally hit it right on the money, but most of the time they're out there for money. Call me skeptical but i just don't believe any of that stuff.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I just think that those types of "mediums" tend to be phony and the people channeling those "mediums" will occasionally hit it right on the money, but most of the time they're out there for money. Call me skeptical but i just don't believe any of that stuff.
I agree. They're usually in it strictly for the $$.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #11
War Child

I think the reason the Bible forbids this kind of thing is that when we engage the spiritual realm we are out of our depth. We experience SOME of the spiritual realm, but we are not made to experience it in that way, especially without the guidance of God. It opens the floodgates to all kinds of things we have no way of comprehending.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Do I think that mediums can keyword -sometimes- be accurate and effective in a sense? Yes.

BUT you gotta question where that power is coming from....I don't think it is from anywhere anyone should be messing with. I've seen some messed up things from people being involved in that kind of stuff. God can and will heal/communicate without our trying to manipulate our 'fates'.....
Old 11-08-2004, 07:52 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I can see no reason that they be mutually exclusive other than the church wanting to maintain a monopoly on the mysterious and vague advice to live your life by department.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

A_Wanderer....you got to think, if it's not coming from a divine source, then where is it coming from? I have seen people been bound and reduced by using methods such as these....God doesn't do that. The source of these mediums will give you something in one hand and take away with the other...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Mediums are a load of bull, now the fortune telling is always vague and dodgy, mediums can use a variety of techniques from cold reading to bugs and the rest is an amalgamation of crazyness and induced crazyness. All a big scamola my book. The concept of God and divine intervention is about the same level to me, my view is equally as valid as yours and I can respect your right to believe and not consider me to be better than a believer.