The Bible - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: The Bible is:
Completely infallible and true in every word, delivered from God Himself 13 25.49%
Completely infallible and true in every word, but only partly God-given 0 0%
Completely infallible and true in every word, but from human writers only 1 1.96%
Mostly true due to human meddling, delivered from God Himself 5 9.80%
Mostly true due to human meddling, but only partly God-given 6 11.76%
Mostly true due to human meddling, but from human writers only 1 1.96%
Neither overly true nor overly false, delivered from God Himself 1 1.96%
Neither overly true nor overly false, but only partly God-given 0 0%
Neither overly true nor overly false, but from human writers only 11 21.57%
Mostly false, but still on the right track in its teachings, delivered from God Himself 0 0%
Mostly false, but still on the right track in its teachings, but only partly God-given 1 1.96%
Mostly false, but still on the right track in its teachings, from human writers only 5 9.80%
Mostly false and errant in its teachings, delivered from God Himself 0 0%
Mostly false and errant in its teachings, but only partly God-given 0 0%
Mostly false and errant in its teachings, but from human writers only 2 3.92%
Completely false and errant in every word, delivered from God Himself 0 0%
Completely false and errant in every word, but only partly God-given 0 0%
Completely false and errant in every word, from human writers only 2 3.92%
I have never read the Bible and have no opinion 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 AM
The Bible

Self-explanatory poll question.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:33 AM
I picked this one:

Quote:
Neither overly true nor overly false, but from human writers only
I think some of the people in there may have existed and I think some of the events may have taken place. But I also think there was some exaggeration and symbolic stuff going on there, too-I've described it before as something like Aesop's Fables-stories with a theme/lesson in them that can describe society or that we can use in our everyday lives or something like that.

That's my personal view on it all .

Angela

Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Well, seeing as I'm one minute too late to edit my post, I figured I'd explain the definitions I used in the poll options:

Completely infallible and true in every word: Means that every word, every story, every person, and every account in the Bible is true, has happened/existed, will happen/exist, or is happening/exists now.

Mostly true due to human meddling: Means that the majority of what is said in the Bible is true, however due to a lot of the stories being passed down through oral accounts, translations, misinterpretations, omissions, and additions by human editors/authors over the years, that there are a few flaws in the text.

Neither overly true nor overly false: Means that as a whole, the words and stories of the Bible are neither certain to have happened exactly as told, but that it's not an outright fabrication either. Basically there is a generally equal amount of fiction and non-fiction throughout.

Mostly false, but still on the right track in its teachings: Means that while the accounts and stories in the Bible are generally fiction (or allegory, as some would see it), that the teachings of "God" and "Jesus" are generally benevolent and still good to follow, despite the other flaws of the text.

Mostly false and errant in its teachings: Means that the accounts and stories of the Bible are generally fiction (albeit some true stories), and that the teachings of "God" and "Jesus" were/are incorrect or false.

Completely false and errant in every word: Means that every word of the Bible and all its stories and accounts are totally false, either made up completely or outright lies.

delivered from God Himself: Means that the hand of God Himself worked through the human writers, and that everything written down (by the original human scribes at least) is exactly what God said, as God said it, and how God said it. There was no human input of any kind into the original writings.

but only partly God-given: Means that God had only partial input into the Bible, and that He left the remainder to the human writers. God did directly transcribe onto some pages (through the writers, of course) what he wanted to say, but left others to human authorship to fill in the rest. Also could mean that God had indirect input, such as placing general topic/subject ideas in the mind of the human author and leaving it up to the human author to write the actual words and sentences to fill the subject/topic.

from human writers only: Means that God had no input whatsoever into any of the writings of the Bible, and that it was all written directly from the human minds of the persons who wrote the original manuscripts.

The final option should require no explanation.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Neither overly true nor overly false: Means that as a whole, the words and stories of the Bible are neither certain to have happened exactly as told, but that it's not an outright fabrication either. Basically there is a generally equal amount of fiction and non-fiction throughout.[/Q]

This would most likely describe me.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

"Mostly false, but still on the right track in its teachings, from human writers only"

That's what I picked.

I believe that the majority of it is allegory and metaphorical, that which is not outright fiction. There are (obviously to me anyways) true parts in the Bible, such as the histories (the Assyrians invading Israel, then the Neo-Babylonian conquest, then the Persian conquest, etc), but I think that the majority (especially the non-historical Old Testament) is all metaphorical.

And I don't believe in a higher power, so the remaining option is that it's solely human-written.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Neither true nor false, and depending on how its interpreted, on the wrong track in its teachings, written by humans.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Neither overly true nor overly false, but from human writers only
I believe it's what the writers wanted a god to say. And I think whether it's good or bad overall depends on how the person doing the reading interprets it.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:33 PM
This was difficult, as there were 2 or 3 that applied to my view. Maybe I picked the wrong one, as I chose, "Mostly true due to human meddling, but only partly God given."

There's too many *narrative* errors in the Bible for it to be a divine work, I sincerely believe a higher power would be a better writer.

Much of it, particularly in the OT, I think is false. Some of it blatently so, to advance an agenda, some of it unintentionally.
Some of it is inherited/borrowed myth from other cultures--which in themselves may have some spiritual truth at their core. Other parts are more historical chronicle and God was just added in.

Other parts, I do believe are divinely inspired--largely the Gospels as I find them to be beautifully written--but committed to paper by man.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Oh dear god, do we really need another thread like this? I mean, really.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:33 AM
Number one
Old 06-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Oh dear god, do we really need another thread like this? I mean, really.
It's a dirty job...but someone has to do it.

And for a religion based thread, it's pretty tame (at least right now....)
Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

they're all correct.

it's whatever you want it to be.

the problem is when you start to live your life based on the premise that what you want it to be is actually what it is.

humility, please.

it is not fact, it is faith.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

OT stuff (and I'm looking straight at Genesis) is complete allegory, IMO.

The Garden of Eden: Where is it now?
Adam and Eve: Unlikely that a mere two people created billions. And wouldn't we be technically performing incest anytime we get married or have sexual relations?
Noah's Ark: If you believe that this is a Bible original, you're wrong. Just about every single culture around the areas of Mesopotamia and the Ancient Near East has a story of a "Great Flood". And these were written thousands of years before the Pentateuch was. The Epic of Gilgamesh is the most famous example, and was written (not counting oral accounts) in the time period of 3000-2500 BC in Akkadian. The Pentateuch was written around 1500-1200 BC. The widespread accounts of a flood story, combined with geological record probably mean a Mesopotamian localised flood in the region of Sumer. NOT a world-wide flood killing all living beings except one man and his family. Again, we also get into the incest bit.
Tower of Babel: Languages springing up fully formed, and the ability to build a tower that (logically) would have to be taller than the current tallest building in the world (otherwise, wouldn't God just as likely strike down anyone who built a tower equally as high - if not, he's inconsistent)?
Abram/Abraham + Sarai/Sarah + Isaac + Jacob: Having a kid at 99 years old? Physically impossible. Besides, the whole story surrounding these men seems to all be myth with good moral tradition attached.

I don't want to sound like I'm ripping apart the Bible (although maybe I am, unknowingly), but I fail to see how anyone can see these as literal truth. I guess I just don't have the faith of some folks.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:33 AM
There's also the talking serpent thing. What's the deal with that?

20% of us believe in talking serpents seemingly.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
they're all correct.

it's whatever you want it to be.

the problem is when you start to live your life based on the premise that what you want it to be is actually what it is.

humility, please.

it is not fact, it is faith.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer by any means. I'm just curious to see what the opinions around here are, maybe spark some (healthy) debate.