The Best Thing To Do Is Nothing At All - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:28 PM
The Best Thing To Do Is Nothing At All

In North Korea at least it would seem that the play is for the US to reduce it's numbers in South Korea and just allow Japan and South Korea take the initiative to defend against a nuclear North Korea, the possibility of this on it's doorstep will force China's hand and "Dear Leader" may be deposed for a more secure pro-China leader.

It is simply too risky for any other action; the cost of war on the Korean Peninsula would be greivous for everybody

I predict that there will be charges that I am a hypocrite for saying that deposing Saddam was the right thing but action in N-Korea is wrong, to these I answer pre-emptively that it is not hypocritical to judge different situations in different ways; there is a cost-benefit issue that we must consider in all things not least international relations, I am saying right now that too much pressure on North Korea is a very risky move and it will not yield a favourable outcome.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:28 AM
You do get the feeling that he's on his last legs (as is the country) and will go out in one way or another relatively soon. The scary part is I think he probably thinks a war that destroys him and his country is the most favourable way for him to do it with some 'dignitiy' intact as opposed to being pushed or shuffling out the back door. I think the key is China. He's not going to give an inch to the US, Japan or Sth Korea.