the beginning of the end

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why someone shouldn't be allowed to have a say in what happens with their childrens education :shrug:

Illegal-immigrants do not belong voting period.

Just my opinion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm confused, what can't you do if you aren't legal? Do you not have to be legal to enroll your kids into school?

Illegal immigrants can have children can't they?

Dread, what about legal folks who just aren't citizens yet? Surely they should be able to vote. After all, they're affected by the policies of the government and (unless I'm wrong) pay taxes.

SD

nbcrusader said:
It doesn't matter if the children are born here or not.

If people are here illegally, they have no business voting.
Well this is what I'm trying to figure out. How do you enroll your child without being legal.

:down:

This is a bad idea. I don't like the idea of someone who hops a fence and runs into the States has the exact same priviledges as someone who legally applies for landed immigrant status and takes the time, sacrifices the money because they truly want to go to live and work in America.

That is a noble thing. Jumping a fence, running for your life, circumventing the system and hiding out is not. That's a waste of taxpayer dollars and cheats the honest people who come to America legally.

It's a dumb idea and it sets a precedent. Soon illegal immigrants will be demanding a vote for Mayor, Governor, Congress...eventually it will be President. That's bad. This is a stupid idea and sets us down a bad road that we really don't want to be going down.

Legal immigrants...that's a whole other story. I don't support them being able to vote, but I won't get into that one.

DaveC said:
:down:

Legal immigrants...that's a whole other story. I don't support them being able to vote, but I won't get into that one.

yeah...I think it best that you don't :|

sounds to me like the politicians are just looking for a whole new group to tell their lies to.... all the legal residents of San Fran are apparently fed up & won't listen anymore. and folks who don't listen are folks who don't vote, so - solution?: create a brand new demographic to make your empty promises to. you may not win anymore friends after you've let them down, but by then you'll already be voted into office and that's all that REALLY matters, isn't it? :eyebrow:

to address the issue though, if you're concerned about what's happening in your child's education (for instance) and you have moved your residence to the United States of America - do the right damn thing & become a legal citizen, then vote to your heart's content.

Sherry Darling said:
Dread, what about legal folks who just aren't citizens yet? Surely they should be able to vote. After all, they're affected by the policies of the government and (unless I'm wrong) pay taxes.

SD

They should have a voice in their home school association and at the meetings. They should not have the right to vote until they become a citizen. That to me is a basic right.

As for paying taxes, how about those teacher salaries. Shouldn;t they pay taxes to fund those big salaries?

We should treat these nations like other nations treat Americans trying to immigrate--like complete and utter crap. Try and get a job in Europe, and you've got EU restrictions and whatnot. But, no, come to America, legally or illegally, and they give the entire nation to you.

Regardless, it is probably due time that America started bullying other nations to loosen their immigration restrictions on Americans, or, otherwise, we should start being as restrictive as they are.

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm confused, what can't you do if you aren't legal? Do you not have to be legal to enroll your kids into school?

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think that since every child MUST attend school & has a right to a free education, even those children born to illegal immigrants are given that right. So if children of illegal immigrants are running around in the streets and not in school, someone can report them. I'm not entirely sure on the legalities of it, but you don't have to be legal to enroll your kids in school- they automatically get that right. I don't know the rules for children who are born in another country to illegal immigrants.

But if you're not a legal immigrant I'm assuming you are working here illegally and maybe even "under the table" and not paying taxes or supporting the system that you & your children are sapping. That's why I don't think they should get a vote, either!! :down: How can they expect to not only use all the good our country offers to its citizens, but to have a vote on how things operate, while they don't pay back to society like the rest of us have to?

oliveu2cm said:

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think that since every child MUST attend school & has a right to a free education, even those children born to illegal immigrants are given that right. So if children of illegal immigrants are running around in the streets and not in school, someone can report them. I'm not entirely sure on the legalities of it, but you don't have to be legal to enroll your kids in school- they automatically get that right. I don't know the rules for children who are born in another country to illegal immigrants.

But if you're not a legal immigrant I'm assuming you are working here illegally and maybe even "under the table" and not paying taxes or supporting the system that you & your children are sapping. That's why I don't think they should get a vote, either!! :down: How can they expect to not only use all the good our country offers to its citizens, but to have a vote on how things operate, while they don't pay back to society like the rest of us have to?

You are correct...any child in the US is entitled to a free education regardless of immigration status. I don't think immigration status comes into play until they reach college. I know a Social Security Number is required to register a child for school now but I don't think they bar the child from attending if you can't provide one.

Schools in California are bursting at the seams and illegal immigration is one of the reasons. I understand why people are desperate to come here for a better life but part of that better life should include getting the proper papers so they can have all the priveleges that come with it, like having a voice through voting.

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
any child in the US is entitled to a free education regardless of immigration status.

That's true. I know of a family that illegally immigrated to the U.S. several years ago with their small children. They're still illegal, as well as their children, but can attend public schools without any restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom