the beginning of the end - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Dread, what about legal folks who just aren't citizens yet? Surely they should be able to vote. After all, they're affected by the policies of the government and (unless I'm wrong) pay taxes.

SD
They should have a voice in their home school association and at the meetings. They should not have the right to vote until they become a citizen. That to me is a basic right.

As for paying taxes, how about those teacher salaries. Shouldn;t they pay taxes to fund those big salaries?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:29 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 PM
We should treat these nations like other nations treat Americans trying to immigrate--like complete and utter crap. Try and get a job in Europe, and you've got EU restrictions and whatnot. But, no, come to America, legally or illegally, and they give the entire nation to you.

Regardless, it is probably due time that America started bullying other nations to loosen their immigration restrictions on Americans, or, otherwise, we should start being as restrictive as they are.

Melon

Old 06-22-2004, 08:19 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'm confused, what can't you do if you aren't legal? Do you not have to be legal to enroll your kids into school?

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think that since every child MUST attend school & has a right to a free education, even those children born to illegal immigrants are given that right. So if children of illegal immigrants are running around in the streets and not in school, someone can report them. I'm not entirely sure on the legalities of it, but you don't have to be legal to enroll your kids in school- they automatically get that right. I don't know the rules for children who are born in another country to illegal immigrants.

But if you're not a legal immigrant I'm assuming you are working here illegally and maybe even "under the table" and not paying taxes or supporting the system that you & your children are sapping. That's why I don't think they should get a vote, either!! How can they expect to not only use all the good our country offers to its citizens, but to have a vote on how things operate, while they don't pay back to society like the rest of us have to?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:11 PM
melon:
It's not harder for an American to get a work permit in Europe than getting a work permit as an European in the USA.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:15 PM   #20
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think that since every child MUST attend school & has a right to a free education, even those children born to illegal immigrants are given that right. So if children of illegal immigrants are running around in the streets and not in school, someone can report them. I'm not entirely sure on the legalities of it, but you don't have to be legal to enroll your kids in school- they automatically get that right. I don't know the rules for children who are born in another country to illegal immigrants.

But if you're not a legal immigrant I'm assuming you are working here illegally and maybe even "under the table" and not paying taxes or supporting the system that you & your children are sapping. That's why I don't think they should get a vote, either!! How can they expect to not only use all the good our country offers to its citizens, but to have a vote on how things operate, while they don't pay back to society like the rest of us have to?

You are correct...any child in the US is entitled to a free education regardless of immigration status. I don't think immigration status comes into play until they reach college. I know a Social Security Number is required to register a child for school now but I don't think they bar the child from attending if you can't provide one.

Schools in California are bursting at the seams and illegal immigration is one of the reasons. I understand why people are desperate to come here for a better life but part of that better life should include getting the proper papers so they can have all the priveleges that come with it, like having a voice through voting.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
any child in the US is entitled to a free education regardless of immigration status.
That's true. I know of a family that illegally immigrated to the U.S. several years ago with their small children. They're still illegal, as well as their children, but can attend public schools without any restrictions.