The Balanced Man Fraternity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Maybe some men who are well out of college could use this too

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1158951-1,00.html

"Call it the new fratiquette, but these weekly civility sessions are just a small part of a growing reform movement led by SigEp, the country's largest fraternity. As colleges continue to crack down on binge drinking, hazing and general hooliganism, some fraternities are redefining the Greek experience in order to save it.

Oregon State's is among the 256 SigEp chapters nationwide that have adopted the Balanced Man Program, an intensive four-year fraternity experience created 13 years ago by concerned SigEp leaders to shift the center of life in the houses from beer-soaked blowouts to activities that promote healthy living and self-respect. To eliminate hazing, the program does away with the pledge system--all recruits are equal members from Day One. Alcohol is allowed, but booze-free activities are encouraged. The George Washington University chapter does yoga together. At Miami University in Ohio, fraternity brothers learn how to salsa-dance and cook traditional Mexican meals.

Following SigEp's lead, other national fraternities have rolled out similar programs, from Sigma Alpha Epsilon's True Gentleman to Beta Theta Pi's Men of Principle. According to some members, there's an unexpected bonus from all these reforms: women seem to like them. "They can go to 21 other fraternities to get drunk," says Oregon State SigEp member Cameron Saffer. "Here you find respectful young men."

It's good that the frats are moving away from the Animal House lifestyle. When I was in college, I was independent, mostly because I didn't want to party.

I don’t endorse the “animal house” type of life style nor do I equate it with a healthy decision. But I do equate it as part of the quintessential college scene.

Its nice that these guys are getting their act together but I do agree that things like these programs are “cutting the balls off the organizations”. It’s a group of college men living in a house together. Come on. Let them have a little fun.

I would love it if fraternities took a change in course, decided they would do x, y and z but I think it has to be done through a collective change in conscious and reputation rather then a course.

On the other hand this is coming from some one who is not in a fraternity, will never be in one, but likes having the door to one open once in a while
:wink:

This is good news. I've never liked the "Animal House" type fraternity scene at all, it is not conducive to the learning atmosphere that a college experience should really be. I was never so elated as when my son dropped out from rushing a frat here in Southern California because he refused to commit to their drinking, partying and drugs. He learned how important his studies were very quickly. I am so proud of him that he chose to keep up with the pace of his studies and classes rather than trying to keep up with the ridiculousness of this particular fraternity.

P.S. The fraternity which I don't wish to name has been banned from this university campus. :wink:

~signed, One Happy Mom.

Fraternal groups usually need some University affiliation - and that is where the enforcement powers are triggered.

I've seen a move towards Universities owning the fraternity and sorority houses to give the administration additional control of the situation.

We dont seem to have any of that here. Most campuses have a bar, and of course the uni students drink. Some drink too much and some do stupid things while drunk, but it is not an ongoing problem. I wonder if the difference is that many uni students here are either still living at home and therefore dont have the sudden taste of 'freedom' and weird need to push it as far as possible, or they're international students who overall behave themselves and take their studying seriously.

Back
Top Bottom