the awfulness of Nancy Grace - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:33 PM
the awfulness of Nancy Grace

[q]Mother of Missing Boy Commits Suicide
Sep 13 2:30 PM US/Eastern

By TRAVIS REED
Associated Press Writer

LEESBURG, Fla.

Two weeks after telling police that her son had been snatched from his crib, Melinda Duckett found herself reeling in an interview with TV's famously prosecutorial Nancy Grace. Before it was over, Grace was pounding her desk and loudly demanding to know: "Where were you? Why aren't you telling us where you were that day?"
A day after the taping, Duckett, 21, shot herself to death, deepening the mystery of what happened to the boy.

Police have refused to say whether she left a suicide note, and said nothing they have found so far in their investigation of her death has shed light on the whereabouts of her 2-year-old son, Trenton.

Investigators have stopped short of calling her a suspect but have focused increasing attention on her movements just before the boy vanished and the notes, computer, camera and other items seized from her house.

Duckett's family members disputed any suggestion that she hurt her son. They said that the strain of her son's disappearance pushed her to the brink, and the media sent her over the edge.

"Nancy Grace and the others, they just bashed her to the end," Duckett's grandfather Bill Eubank said Tuesday. "She wasn't one anyone ever would have thought of to do something like this. She and that baby just loved each other, couldn't get away from each other. She wouldn't hurt a bug."

Janine Iamunno, a spokeswoman for Grace, said in an e-mail that Duckett's death was "an extremely sad development," but that the program would continue covering the case.

"We feel a responsibility to bring attention to this case in the hopes of helping find Trenton Duckett, who remains missing," Iamunno said.

[/q]

Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I just read about that, I don't know..to blame someone for a person's suicide seems unfair to me in certain respects. I'm not defending Nancy or her behavior, and perhaps that did push Melinda over the edge. It's like a replay of that Jenny Jones case.

I can't imagine that Nancy is so cold that this wouldn't give her pause and make her change her ways. I wish the old Nancy would come back. I think something happens to so many people on TV - they sacrifice their humanity for the sake of ratings, and they sell their souls to the network higher ups.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I like this comment someone made on huffpo

"Whether the suicide of this women is directly linked to Nancy Grace is unknown to me, or anyone on these posts.

However, there is no doubt that at the very least, this type of digital brutalization that we call "news " now, obviously caused some hardship on the mother.

Yet, here we are, Nancy Grace, Glen Beck, etc, what in the world are they doing on the Cable NEWS Network?

For too long, we treat these programs as fluff, trash and fodder, basically to be watched or ignored. What cannot be ignored more and more, is the damage to the human condition that these attack and hate shows are having on us all.

It's not enough to say, "if you don't like it, turn if off", there is such thing as the super-mind, or the human condition and this miserable poison affects us all.

We are cheapening human suffering and making a commodity of the misery of all our brothers and sisters.

My advice is take this tragedy and make it one more reason to show a little bit of kindness to the next stranger you meet. We can make a better world, a better neighborhood and we can bring light into someone's life. Never believe that the Nancy Grace's of the world are the norm, they are not.

Very sad."
Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Glenn Beck rocks.

dbs
Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Where was Melinda Duckett? Why wasn't she telling where she was that day?"

Why didn't she answer those questions?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Refugee

Luckily I don't think Nancy Grace is blowing out the cable ratings.

But that entire family must be going through hell right now, awful stuff.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Where was Melinda Duckett? Why wasn't she telling where she was that day?"

Why didn't she answer those questions?
She probably didn't know what she was getting into, appearing on that program.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

i don't blame Nancy Grace for her suicide.

but i still think she's just about the biggest pile of wretchedness on television.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Nancy Grace is disgusting.

I'm not specifically talking about this case, but her disposition is so vile. I see no reason she should be on TV at all. She represents the worst of human behaviour and it's always on display. When I see her ranting like a lunatic and completely disregarding the basic tenets of criminal law, I am embarrassed on her behalf and embarrassed for myself to have witnessed it.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

She probably didn't know what she was getting into, appearing on that program.
I'm not familiar with the case. Is she not answering those questions when anyone asks them, or just when Nancy Grace does?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
She's the One

Local Time: 06:33 PM
And yet, many of you seem to watch her show. I've seen her once or twice as I was flipping channels in a motel room or two.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 AM
I've never watched her show. After this I really don't want to, either!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:33 PM
I've never watched a whole "episode" of Jerry Springer and I'll never watch a full "episode" of Nancy Grace. Same shit, different pile.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Not that it justifies Nancy's behavior in any way, but allegedly Melinda had placed an ad trying to sell her 2 year old's car seat before he went missing. You have to have a child in a car seat in Florida until the age of 3. That looks suspicious to me, of course maybe she was just buying a new one. There are other issues such as the size of the hole in the screen. Mark Klaas also said there are several red flags in this case, and he out of all people should be sympathetic (and is) to parents, considering the fact that he was suspected in Polly's disappearance.

Whether Melinda is guilty or innocent, the whole thing is a terrible tragedy-and the question of these TV shows remains.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Nancy jumps to conclusions too quickly. I'm sure that applies to many others who have to fill an hour's worth of time.