The Athiest thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Lets all discuss NOTHING !!!!!

cookiemonster.gif

another fellow atheist here :wave:

I was a really devout Christian for about six years, but I started seeing things differently last year.

u2granny said:
No, it's not.:D Having a Catholic mother and southern Baptist Father tends to create an atheist.

I was raised an irreligious athiest (for want of a description) same as my father and my grandfather. I have no idea how far back it goes in my family.

So theres five of us! Excellent. Now what?
cookiemonster.gif

(another cookiemonster just for Dandy)

Last edited:
I don't believe in any god or anything of the sort. I hate being labeled an athiest too though.

Maybe I'm just an agnostic.

my family belongs to the baptist church. the rift started when i was young, asking too many tough questions that the elders interpreted as signs of heresy. my burning questions weren't addressed in any detail until i landed in university.

cookies...

:drool:

Agnostic here!

Atheism is too much like religion for my taste.

Speaking of taste...where are these damn cookies everyone's talking about? :drool:

indra said:
Agnostic here!

Atheism is too much like religion for my taste.

I beg to differ. There is no religion to it. No rules, no acceptable and unacceptable practices, no consistency on views on any thing at all. Nothing. Literally = no God. There is nothing else to it.

cookiemonster.gif

beli said:

I beg to differ. There is no religion to it. No rules, no acceptable and unacceptable practices, no consistency on views on any thing at all. Nothing. Literally = no God. There is nothing else to it.

cookiemonster.gif

No I agree athiest is a form of religion. It's a set of beliefs. You deny the existence of God. Therefore you deny this, you deny that, and you deny the other thing.

Agnostic you're saying well maybe, maybe not.

To deny is to hold a belief.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Agnostic you're saying well maybe, maybe not.

Yep! And I'm going to make the official agnostic bumper sticker -- Agnosticism: The Ultimate in Wishy-Washy-ness! :D

At least I have a sense of humour! :wink:

I don't want to be labeled an athiest because it is, in my opinion, a condtradiction unto itself. It is a religion based in the non-belief of religion.

So I'm an agnostic.

I thought religion was the pointless deeds - simply not believing in something or believing that it does not exist is not a religion just like having a belief in a higher power does not make that belief inherently religious,

A_Wanderer said:
I thought religion was the pointless deeds - simply not believing in something or believing that it does not exist is not a religion just like having a belief in a higher power does not make that belief inherently religious,

Let's put it this way...many atheists DO make atheism a religion, but it doesn't have to be. I prefer agnosticism becaues it more closely represents my feeling -- that I do not believe "God" exsists, but I won't rule out the remote possibility that I'm wrong (as shocking as I know that would be to everyone!:D ). I also am from an area that very heavily religious, so most people who are atheists here have actively rejected the religion/belief they were brought up with (almost exclusively Christianity). I think that background causes more of a tendency to trade the "religion" of Christianity for the "religion" of atheism.

For those who were simply raised without religion or belief in a God (thank your lucky stars -- you have a LOT less baggage :huh: ), atheism as simply the lack of belief is much more possible.

Last edited:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
an atheist's tombstone read: Here lies an atheist, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Discuss.

Not a whole lot to discuss from my perspective...it pretty much sums it up. :shrug:

Of course, I believe it applies equally for everyone, not just atheists -- equality, you know! :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And are Christians going to live the rest of eternity in the same suit or dress?:wink:

If they do, the women better all be put to rest in an underwire bra...can you imagine the amount of sag that would occur throughout eternity? :ohmy:

I don't believe in God, but I feel I can't completely rule out the possibility of God existing. Therefore I guess I'm closer to being an agnostic.

A few atheists I've met could give believers a run for their money in red-hot iron conviction department, :wink:

"Gods love an atheist. It gives them something to aim at." - Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Back
Top Bottom