The Artist and the Scientist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Reply

wizard2c said:
Hi!

Artists.....like wizards......have a tendency to view from a worldly perspective rather than just a small perimeter of space and time.

carol
wizard2c

:|

Artists, like wizards, also smoke way too much Hobbit-weed.

No, we should process them into a high energy protein bar after they finish high school and feed them to the engineers.

Ultimately the aim of both science and art should be truth, but take both your scientist and your artist with a grain of truth.
I prefer art on the whole. While society has changed, humanity itself has remained constant. We have the same desires, needs, peccadillos, doubts and confusions we've had for milleniums, which is why the classics still read so well. Science is based on
what is known at the time. As we learn more, scientific theory changes. Today's science is about as up to date as last year's computer. Science isn't ultimate truth. It is today's truth. That being said, your best scientists are artists--imaginative, creative, seeking to make sense of the unknown, taking us to worlds we never dreamed possible.

opposite sides of the same coin.

two thoughts from the same origin shooting off in different directions until one day they meet again at a palce called Truth.

mutually implicated in the same paradox.

when one discovers the application and worth of the other, amazing things happen.

Irvine511 said:
opposite sides of the same coin.

two thoughts from the same origin shooting off in different directions until one day they meet again at a palce called Truth.

mutually implicated in the same paradox.

when one discovers the application and worth of the other, amazing things happen.

Wonderful post.

There are some of us, whose left brain and right brain happily coexist and work together, and are amused this is even discussed. Or maybe I'm the only one, and I'm using the "imperial 'us.' "

I got A's in all my science courses, except chemistry, and I got A's in my art classes.

If you can't appreciate both, you're missing out. You can study the intricate detail of a "Bird of Paradise" flower, then illustrate it, be it drawing, painting.

I do think artists appreciate and know more about science, than scientists appreciate and know about art.

Though this could just be because science is required, while art is an elective, an option, at least in the U.S. it is.

To those who would find themselves on the scientist side, do you know what "Guernica" is, Cubism, who Johann Bach, Beethoven are, Impressionism, how light and shade, space, perspective, are important relation to a work?

"_____" find themselves on artist side, what was Galilleo most significant contribution?, what is photosynthesis? what is the difference between a proton, electron, neutron?

By the way, who's doing all the illustrations in science books...scientists who are also artists perhaps.

Science books would be really really, really boring without those illustrations.

Really boring.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Britney Spears, interesting example. Of course her drunken behavior never ceases to amaze us.

However, I'm more interested in what a star like Bono has to say than what anyone has to say about stars like Rigel. Human accomplishments amaze me much more when U2 is playing in concert.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I disagree. Art has saved many lives. There's documented stories of individuals that were born severely handicapped and had no means of communication and then one day they discovered art and found ways to communicate through drawing or painting.

There have been suicidal individuals that have turned their lives around due to a song, movie, or a book.

It may not be measurable like science but it's there.

I for one owe my life to art.

I work for a health-care provider and we have "music therapy" and "art therapy" as programs to help patients recover from, or manage, various illnesses.

Ask mathmeticians what they think of how they describe the magic of math and many will describe its beauty or truth as "art." Don't know if many artists would describe their work as "science"...doesn't sound as romantic.

I like when science and art combine to provide great stories of beauty; i.e. the reference point for Miracle Drug.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I disagree. Art has saved many lives. There's documented stories of individuals that were born severely handicapped and had no means of communication and then one day they discovered art and found ways to communicate through drawing or painting.

There have been suicidal individuals that have turned their lives around due to a song, movie, or a book.

It may not be measurable like science but it's there.

I for one owe my life to art.
:up: It's not everyday that I say this, but I completely agree with you. Art gets me through life in ways that science can't. Even if I hate whatever band it is, when I hear that their songs have stopped someone from suicide, I can't help but give them a pat on the back.

Back
Top Bottom