The Art of War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadelynIris

Refugee
I must admit, I was preparing myself for something really big to start this war.

In the weeks leading up to this, we heard over and over again, that the 'shock and awe' portion of this war was going to be devastating. 6000 smartbombs, 700 cruise missles, and a massive invasion never seen before on this planet. The President, Rumsfeld, Rice, Powell, everyone, saying this over and over again in the media.

How brilliant!

Refer to Sun Tzu's Art of war # 18 and 19:

18: All warfare is based on deception.

19: Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable;
when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we
are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away;
when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
To read it in full - http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

It's amazing to me how thoughtfully planned and prepared our forces are to get the greatest gain, with the least amount of loss of life on both sides.

Not to say that the onslaught isn't coming - as with everything we've had to do with Saddam, we must still pose the threat. It's the only way in dealing with Saddam.

But the foreknowledge of Saddam's location and the opportunity to surgically strike has made all the difference. A Republican Guard commander is much more likely to surrender without fear of reprisal from Saddam.

Thus, what enables the wise sovereign and the good
general to strike and conquer, and achieve things beyond
the reach of ordinary men, is foreknowledge.

5. Now this foreknowledge cannot be elicited from spirits;
it cannot be obtained inductively from experience,
nor by any deductive calculation.

6. Knowledge of the enemy's dispositions can only
be obtained from other men.

Of course satellites help too. ;)

Starting in the early 90's, we started to cut way back on the CIA/DIA/NIMA budgets - now we realize what a mistake that was and how extremely valuable those organizations are. It's those organizations that make our smart bombs 'smart'.

Hopefully, we've won this war before it ever really got started.

Mark

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom