The American People Have Spoken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
I have seen it said in here that the 2004 election was proof positive that the American people believed that the President was correct on Iraq.

What does the latest election prove? The opposite? Or Something else.....

Dreadsox said:
I have seen it said in here that the 2004 election was proof positive that the American people believed that the President was correct on Iraq.

I don't think it proves that people are against there having been a war. I think they are against the way it's being run.

However, I also think that people are tired of hearing the Republicans promise "smaller government, less spending" but doing no better than the Dems in that respect.

I think this is a wake up call for the GOP. I think they'll listen to what the American people are saying, and will offer up candidates of integrity, who aren't wimps and who aren't scandal-ridden.

Well, none of my votes had much of anything to do with Iraq, terrorism, or 9/11. Michigan is 49th as far as economic outlook. We care about jobs, education, and health care. It's time we give the war on terror/acquisitioning of more oil a rest and start cleaning up our act here at home.

Re: Re: The American People Have Spoken

80sU2isBest said:

I don't think it proves that people are against there having been a war. I think they are against the way it's being run.

Doesn't one go hand-in-hand with the other? Most of the resistance against the war has been why America's there in the first place, not that the Iraqi government isn't stable, etc...

:shrug:

As much as I support the Democrats, I really hope the Republican Party uses this as a chance to clean house. It's a beast rotting from within. The Republican Party has some good ideas, but people won't see that unless the scandals are fixed and some decent candidates (who the hell found this Santorum creep?) run for office, pronto.

80sU2isBest said:

Well, if you know where this quote came from then you know, that was the point Dread was making.
80sU2isBest said:

However, I also think that people are tired of hearing the Republicans promise "smaller government, less spending" but doing no better than the Dems in that respect.
Smaller government and less spending hasn't been part of the Republicans stance in over a decade. It's just now that people are realizing.

80sU2isBest said:

I think this is a wake up call for the GOP. I think they'll listen to what the American people are saying, and will offer up candidates of integrity, who aren't wimps and who aren't scandal-ridden.

We can all hope.

Dreadsox said:

It proves that the American Voting system is cyclical? Usually in the off presidential elections the other party takes control.

But the only thing of import really remains to be proven: that the American people were right in they way they voted.

Me personally? As a patriot and a conservative, but not really a republican or democrat (I tend to vote for both parties in a given election), I'm glad Rumsfeld's gone, but I'm worried we will abandon the Iraqis and we're back to the focus-group politics of the 90's.

Dreadsox said:

That I wanted to raise the minimum wage. :shrug: Iraq, though is often at the forefront of a good number of my social discussions, wasn't necessarily my top reason for voting. It played a role, yes, but my top reason was the minimum wage, followed by environmental issues, followed by education (since I am an educator.)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: The American People Have Spoken

BonoVoxSupastar said:

We can all hope.

Yeep, and once that happens, then the Democrats can start cleaning their house, also.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The American People Have Spoken

80sU2isBest said:

Yeep, and once that happens, then the Democrats can start cleaning their house, also.

Well it's just that canidates of integrity such as Obama forces others to look for canidates of integrity and start a chain reaction.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The American People Have Spoken

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well it's just that canidates of integrity such as Obama forces others to look for canidates of integrity and start a chain reaction.

Having said all this, I must add my belief that not all poltiicians are corrupt. There are good people of integrity in both political parties.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The American People Have Spoken

80sU2isBest said:

Having said all this, I must add my belief that not all poltiicians are corrupt. There are good people of integrity in both political parties.

Just none rich enough to run for office.

So was the 2004 election proof positive that the American Public believed in the Iraq war?

Dreadsox said:
So was the 2004 election proof positive that the American Public believed in the Iraq war?

I'm not sure. The popular vote was only about a 2.5% victory margin for Bush over Kerry. 49.27% of people who voted cast their ballot for someone other than Bush, so I think there was a division about Iraq even then for the American public.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?year=2004&off=0&elect=0&f=0

pepie2004.png

yellow=Independent/Libertarian

Of course, the margin was wider in the electoral vote.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

In November 2006, it shows that the majority of Americans have reversed their support for the war from where it was 2 years earlier, although there were not 122 million people voting in this election. The majority of the American public now no longer supports the war and wants to leave, regardless of the repercussions it seems. Sunni insurgents now have a big sign that their strategy might be working. Their obviously not strong enough to defeat the American forces occupying their country, but if they can convince the American public that the cost of the war is too great, not worth it, etc, then they can secure the premature withdrawal of US forces that they desire, which removes their biggest obstacle to re-establishing control.

Dreadsox said:

Of course! There is nothing more costly or serious than a war and the country's vote for Bush and the Republicans in congress was a vote of approval for the policies at the time. Its the most important issue, and the voters selected Bush.

wrong.

in 2004, the perceived threat of terrorism, here and abroad, was the #1 issue.

in 2006, the #1 issue was Iraq.

perhaps the American people simply need to read 1441 more closely?

Irvine511 said:
wrong.

I think your initial points are excellent...

I think Jay Leno could do his guy on the street walking by routine with resolution 1441.

Snowlock said:
and we're back to the focus-group politics of the 90's.

Could you elaborate on exactly what you mean by 'focus-group politics'?

Irvine511 said:
wrong.

The vast majority of US troops overseas were deployed in Iraq at the time. The majority of US expenditures overseas were in Iraq and the majority of US casaulties were also in Iraq. The United States had not been hit by a terrorist attack in over 3 years. US troops were gearing up for a major offensive into fallujah. The fact of the matter is, the most important issue to this country for the past 3 and half years has been Iraq. In 2004, an election with over 122 million people voting, for the first time since 1988, a majority of Americans voted for the winning president and for the first time in 40 years, the incumbents party picked up seats in congress instead of losing them. A majority of the American public supported the war in 2004 helping George Bush win re-election despite pathetic liberal movies like Michael Moore's fahrenheit 9/11.

STING2 said:

The vast majority of US troops overseas were deployed in Iraq at the time. The majority of US expenditures overseas were in Iraq and the majority of US casaulties were also in Iraq. The United States had not been hit by a terrorist attack in over 3 years. US troops were gearing up for a major offensive into fallujah. The fact of the matter is, the most important issue to this country for the past 3 and half years has been Iraq. In 2004, an election with over 122 million people voting, for the first time since 1988, a majority of Americans voted for the winning president and for the first time in 40 years, the incumbents party picked up seats in congress instead of losing them. A majority of the American public supported the war in 2004 helping George Bush win re-election despite pathetic liberal movies like Michael Moore's fahrenheit 9/11.
Yeep.

STING2 said:

Fear is an extremely effective motivator.

I strongly believe, sadly, I might add...that Bush did not win because of terrorism, or Iraq.

According to the CNN election polling on the day of the 2004 election....

Morality was the number one issue Followed by the Economy, and then Terrorism.

I think the Ballot initiatives of Gay marriage put Bush over the top in the election.

[Q]
Arkansas Passed Bush 6 EC Votes
Georgia Passed Bush 15 EC Votes
Kentucky PAssed Bush 8 EC Votes
Michigan Passed Kerry 17 EC Votes
Montana Passed Bush 3 EC Votes
North Dakot Passed Bush 3 EC Votes
Ohio Passed Bush 20 EC Votes
Oregon Passed Kerry 7 EC Votes
Utah Passed Bush 5 EC Votes
[/Q]

If morality was the number one issue, and you look at the states with this Ballot Initiative I think it supports my point.

Now, Ohio as I remember it was the deciding state.

The exit polling in Ohio had the following results:

[Q]MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE

Economy/Jobs 24%
MORAL VALUES 23%
Terrorism 17%
Iraq 13%
Taxes 6%
Education 5%
Health Care 5% [/Q]

In Ohio the exit polling showed this about the Iraq War:

[Q]HOW ARE THINGS GOING FOR U.S. IN IRAQ?

Well 45%
Badly 50% [/Q]

They were not voting on Iraq in Ohio.

Gay Marriage was defeated in 100% of the counties reporting back in Ohio. Bush won 100% of the counties in Ohio.

I think that at the time, the majority of voters did not feel that Iraq was going well at the time. Something else put Ohio in Bush's corner.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004//pages/results/states/OH/P/00/county.000.html

A HUGE difference in this election......

According to CNN exit pollings here in 2006 the number one issue important issue was....

THE WAR IN IRAQ not MORALITY

And Wouldn't you know it.....Of the states in the 2004 Election that voted AGAINST same sex Marriage the following elected Democrats this time around:

Montana Senate
Ohio Senate
Arkansas Governor
Ohio Governor
Kentucky house of Representative
Ohio House of Representatives

I see Ohio Changing Two Major positions over.....

No Gay marriage initiative to bring out the vote.
No Morality as an issue.....

Iraq was the issue THIS TIME....not in 2004.

Dreadsox said:
A HUGE difference in this election......

According to CNN exit pollings here in 2006 the number one issue important issue was....

THE WAR IN IRAQ not MORALITY

And Wouldn't you know it.....Of the states in the 2004 Election that voted AGAINST same sex Marriage the following elected Democrats this time around:

Montana Senate
Ohio Senate
Arkansas Governor
Ohio Governor
Kentucky house of Representative
Ohio House of Representatives

I see Ohio Changing Two Major positions over.....

No Gay marriage initiative to bring out the vote.
No Morality as an issue.....

Iraq was the issue THIS TIME....not in 2004.

Your presuming that such exit polling is an accurate reflection of over 122 million people. Lets not forget that such exits polls also indicated that John Kerry, not George Bush was going to be the winner that night.

Even if such exit polling was correct, voters do not simply vote on just ONE issue and morality, terrorism, and even the economy are issues that overlap with Iraq for many people. So voting for anyone of those three could be seen as a vote in support of the Iraq war.

At a minimum, if you believe the exit polling is accurate and other stated reasons do not overlap, it shows that most people were not against the war in Iraq in 2004, since any serious opposition to a war would be expressed as the #1 issue, given the seriousness and impact it has on the country.

It would be extremely absurd to suggest that the Iraq war was not an issue in 2004. More Americans were killed and wounded in Iraq in 2004 than in any other year of the war. The United States has been spending several Billion dollars a week on the war. There is simply no other issue that impacts the country more when it comes to costs than the Iraq war and that is what people vote up or down on in elections, regardless of what CNN exit polling of a fraction of the people voting claims to reveal.

STING2 said:

It would be extremely absurd to suggest that the Iraq war was not an issue in 2004. More Americans were killed and wounded in Iraq in 2004 than in any other year of the war. The United States has been spending several Billion dollars a week on the war. There is simply no other issue that impacts the country more when it comes to costs than the Iraq war and that is what people vote up or down on in elections, regardless of what CNN exit polling of a fraction of the people voting claims to reveal.

Did not suggest it was not an issue....It was not the issue of importance.

I think what I have posted speaks for itself. The War on Terror was more important than the Iraq war in 2004. The Economy was more important than the war on terror...but the number one issue was Morality in 2004.

Trash the exit polls all you want. They speak volumes.

And I think it laughable that you would dismiss the victory in Ohio as anything but a referendum on morality.

Nah...I do not know what I am talking about at all...

[Q]Ohio may have lost a couple hundred thousand jobs during the tenure of President Bush, but Kerry, despite all his trips to the state, couldn't turn it from red to blue. Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, another conservative group that spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars on the gay marriage issue, said yesterday that Ohio and Pennsylvania have similar demographics. Bush won Ohio, and Kerry won Pennsylvania. The difference, he argues, was that Ohio's ballot included an amendment to ban gay marriage. [/Q]

[Q]To understand why America skewed red on Election Day, you might talk to Gary Bauer, the conservative activist, former Republican candidate for president and creator of an organization called Americans United to Preserve Marriage.

The group spent a million dollars in Ohio, Michigan and across the country. It warned voters that a nation led by John Kerry might be one in which homosexuals could get married -- and not just two at a time.

"Most Americans don't want to sit down and explain to their children why they live in a country where men can marry men, why there's polygamy -- because that would naturally follow, we would argue," Bauer said yesterday.
[/Q]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23700-2004Nov3.html

I have now found three different exit polls from 2004 that list MORAL Values as the number one thing that concerned them as they voted in 2004.

Shall I post them all....or are they all wrong?

Back
Top Bottom