The America I miss. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
melon,
feel better?

db9

Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

I'm with melon on this one. Using again the example of my sister's kids, they have it all. They have every gadget, every toy, every video game, a big Victorian house in the burbs. But my sister and her husband also happen to be excellent parents. The kids do their homework first, they are allowed limited time in front of the TV and computer, and they seem to just as often choose riding their bikes as they do watching TV. They are very well-rounded kids. I don't see that technology has ruined them; I see that they are smarter in a lot of ways and that technology makes their lives easier and more fun. I did not have enough outer stimulation when I was a kid. I was pretty isolated on a farm--the so-called ideal and healthy upbringing for kids--and frankly it left me a bit socially retarded. I had to learn how to integrate well with other kids at a much older age than most because I was so isolated that my inner life was a bit too well-developed and I had to overcome a lot of shyness and social phobia by the time I got to high school.

Anyway, I also think I get the point of the thread and I get what you all are saying. It's just that my personal experience, the way I grew up, was very hard. I was bored out of my mind and I think I'd be less neurotic and more well-adjusted if I'd had some of the things kids have today. I'm not bitter about it; it's just the way it was and my parents did the best they could, and I am who I am today, the good and the bad, because of it. I'm just saying that I don't think it was better back then than it is today. Both have their pros and cons and I'm not really into romanticizing the past.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

and one nonromancing the pastfemale

db9
Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 PM
It is certainly possible to over-romanticize the past. I grew up less than a mile from a Ku Klux Klan meeting ground. Today it is a hell of alot less acceptable to be a member of the Klan or other hate group around here than it was then. There were bad parents then and good parents now. I have alot of friends in my parish that are mothers and they are hard-working and very conscientious parents. My neighbors have two high-school age kids who are wonderful. These kids work hard in school, enjoy church youth activities, and the older kid is also a talented singer who's been invited various places all over the country to sing, and he had a music scholarship to the local university. I couldn't resist thinking about my fun with the swingset and my bird-watching with my paternal grandmother, with whom I still have a strong bond. She taught me everything I ever knew about birds, and drawing birds is how I originally got into art. So, my childhood memories have some power, but, I don't think the past is necessarily better than the present. Things don't intrinsically change for the better or the worse, they just change, and we have new challenges to meet all the time.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 PM
the past is neither better nor worse than the present, and vice versa. people are no better then than they are today. for all the problems we've solved, we have other problems of equal profundity that arise each and every day. the danger are those people who peddle to us as political temptation an easier time set in a reimagined, romanticized vision of a past that never existed.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

In general I think kids today are overindulged-materially and emotionally, ie the parents don't exercise much discipline, etc. The rise in childhood obesity and the problems related to that is largely due to too much computer, TV, video games, etc.

I also think in general kids today are sorely lacking in manners. Many also seem to be lacking in decency and compassion.

I think some parents substitute material things for the work they should be doing-it's easier I guess
Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

gina
is
right
Old 03-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

having worked with kids, and having had to deal with their parents, i think the 80%/20% rule applies: 80% of the people are great, 20% are not; but that 20% becomes 80% of your broad impression.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 PM
I think you're right irvine.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
originally posted by Melon
First off, you say "over-protectiveness of parents." Well, many of you are parents; you have control over this, and if you want your children to ride bikes without helmets, so be it. I'm not aware of any laws that force kids to wear helmets, so why are you all complaining?
When I was a kid, there was a law passed in New York that said kids had to wear helmets whenever they went bike riding. No one paid attention to it, though.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #56
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Did someone say 'do miss America'?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I miss being able to walk outside and shoot hoops with whoever else is out there.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

i miss the america of my youth, a world in which two rival superpowers had immense nuclear arsenals aimed at each other and poised to launch at a moment's notice, nuclear annihilation hanging over my innocent 6 year old head like a sword of damocles.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
having worked with kids, and having had to deal with their parents, i think the 80%/20% rule applies: 80% of the people are great, 20% are not; but that 20% becomes 80% of your broad impression.
The 20% also becomes the students who we spend the most time dealing with in class.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i miss the america of my youth, a world in which two rival superpowers had immense nuclear arsenals aimed at each other and poised to launch at a moment's notice, nuclear annihilation hanging over my innocent 6 year old head like a sword of damocles.
and you can thank mr reagan for getting rid of that threat