The America I miss. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2005, 05:35 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 PM
I loved playing on swings when I was a kid. There were swings that were made out of rope and woods in my grandparents' back yard. I spent alot of my childhood with my grandparents. I also bird-watched with my paternal grandmother, who knew everything there was to know about birds and kept two feeders in their back yard. Computers? They were these hugeass machines that my dad worked with at work. Thanks for posting this diamond!

Old 03-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:24 AM
of course, Republicans run on nostalgia ...

Old 03-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:24 AM
so there are 3 guys in the thread that don't care for nostalgia.

the rest have been pretty positive comments.

peace,
db9
Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

peace,
db9
I think your original post had some truths but overlooks and leaves a lot out. It's somewhat revisionist.

But instead of looking to our childhoods, we should be focusing on the childhoods of today and tomorrow and make this a better place for them.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

My general beef probably has more to do with ideology. It was obviously yet another anti-government, anti-regulation rant.

In practice, stripping away the ideology, I think most people agree we need to try and create a better society. However, we'll never agree on *how,* because the right-wing response would be to start legislating morality (hence, "bigger government") and scapegoating unpopular minorities. And I'm not talking strictly homophobia either; a lot of that "nostalgia" argument is used by racist groups who believe their "idyllic good old days" were ruined after integration and the civil rights movement.

And that's probably my argument more than all of them; what you posted is loaded with undesirable connotations, unfortunately. The "good old days" were not so "good" for everyone.

Melon
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

BVSS
and
Melon,

The intent of the thread was to take a healthy look back at the good things in our past (nostalgia) while trying to replicate those good things into our present and future lives.

Surely you have some fond memories of your youth.

db9
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Surely you have some fond memories of your youth.
I wish I could say so. I don't.

Well, my youth isn't all that bad, but you know what? After living in the "idyllic" rural area with the backyard and unsafe playground equipment, the fact is that I was bored out of my mind.

I don't miss my past, and my present isn't perfect, but in the end, it's all we've got.

Melon
Old 03-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:24 PM

Quote:
The intent of the thread was to take a healthy look back at the good things in our past (nostalgia) while trying to replicate those good things into our present and future lives.
Smoking and drinking during your pregnancy, lead-based paints and putting your kid in a car without a seatbelt are actually good things?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 09:24 AM
I think a few certain people have really missed the point and blown this into an entirely different beast than what the original thread was about... "revisioninst, glorifying the past...ect" It's not the kids who are the "racists, homophobes, frat boy...ects" That's would be the adults.

We've become slaves to technology, so we've let it take over the lives of todays children, which is just sad. Rather than exploring and playing with real 3D humans and environments, kids sit in front of the computer/video games. Like many people, when I was little we weren't allowed in the house during the day and were left to make our own fun. We rode bikes without helmets, usually going to the lake unsupervised with our friends. We did a lot of things I can see not happening today because of the over-protectiveness of parents.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Dr Teeth-
u missed the boat.

db9
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I think a few certain people have really missed the point and blown this into an entirely different beast than what the original thread was about... "revisioninst, glorifying the past...ect" It's not the kids who are the "racists, homophobes, frat boy...ects" That's would be the adults.

We've become slaves to technology, so we've let it take over the lives of todays children, which is just sad. Rather than exploring and playing with real 3D humans and environments, kids sit in front of the computer/video games. Like many people, when I was little we weren't allowed in the house during the day and were left to make our own fun. We rode bikes without helmets, usually going to the lake unsupervised with our friends. We did a lot of things I can see not happening today because of the over-protectiveness of parents.
and this post is on the money

db9
Old 03-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #42
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:

Thank you
Old 03-08-2005, 08:50 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

kaching

db9
Old 03-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

can't we criticize the present without presenting the past as some sort of ideal fantasy world where kids rode bikes without helmets but magically never had their brain dashed out when they hit a telephone pole?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
First off, you say "over-protectiveness of parents." Well, many of you are parents; you have control over this, and if you want your children to ride bikes without helmets, so be it. I'm not aware of any laws that force kids to wear helmets, so why are you all complaining?

"The lake." That seems especially romanticist. I don't know many children, regardless of the time period, who have the luxury of a nice lake. Of course, I happened to grow up near Lake Erie, which, in the 1960s and 1970s, set on fire, due to all the pollution, and, up to the early 1990s, would get occasional medical waste from Detroit washing up on the shores. The only reason it's even clean now is due to the zebra mussels.

As for video games? I really don't know many people who literally shut themselves completely out of life to play them. Most people I know who do play them use it as a substitute for television watching. Video games, for me, were also part of my entire life growing up, from Atari 7800 to modern systems today.

Honestly, it is my opinion that a lot of this "uproar" is misplaced. Parents still have a lot of discretion to do what they want with their children, and for all of you who are complaining about over-restrictive parents, well, if you are parents or will be someday, let them run wild for all I care. There's no law against it.

As for lamenting the loss of "lead paint," well, I say "tough shit." Paint is paint; it's not as if banning lead paint meant no paint ever again.

Melon