The America I miss. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
The Flower
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Originally posted by diamond
i think they should ban T-Ball too.

if u strike out, take your lumps, this too shall pass, you will recover from it and have another chance at bat.

I don't know about that...a T-ball game would take 5 hours if they got rid of the T and made them hit pitches!

Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Local Time: 05:09 PM
which reminds me

must buy sour worms in stop&shop

Old 03-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
originally posted by Miss VelvetDress_75
I watched a special on tv a month or so back and it was about the "Now Generation". Interesting studies were done. Psychologist interviewed on the program stated that the children in this "now generation" are the most over protected children in history. They also interviewed a CEO of a Fortune 500 company and he said that kids who are now entering the work force are having a hard time adjusting to corporate life because they are not getting the constant praise that they were used to. He said some of the younger staff assume they should be praised for just showing up to work
That reminds me of a story in Newsweek I read over the summer. It was about how kids today are overmaterialstic, and everything they want is given to them. The article said that because of this, these kids could grow up to have emotional and mental problems. That, along with kids being overprotected and sheltered from any conflict, makes it sound like we're going to have a whole generation of young people without any backbone to get through life. I'm sure it won't be that bad, but it makes you wonder how kids are going to handle the real world when they get older.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:09 PM
My childhood had two very different phases: until I was ten years old we had no personal computer, no VCR and an old B&W TV that rarely worked. There was no decent movie theatre in the town I lived in and very limited amount of books. I either read whatever was available or played outside with my friends and had scratched knees throughout the summer. Then in a very short period of time our family had the colour TV, the VCR and the PC with games on it. Well I lapped it all up like a cat and never felt nostalgia for a minute.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #20
love, blood, life
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I don't know about that...a T-ball game would take 5 hours if they got rid of the T and made them hit pitches!
no it wouldn't.
the kids either would get walked or they would strike out.

it would move the game quicker.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
love, blood, life
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
My sister's kids watch a lot of TV and play a lot of video games. They also take karate, swimming, ballet and play soccer, badminton, and they skate, bike and read. All I had when I was a kid was the outdoors and 3 TV channels and I was bored to death. My sister's kids have it a lot better than I did and I am not nostalgic about the so-called good-old-days of my childhood in the 60's. Not one bit.
Exactly. This is why I'm not nostalgic. I sucked at all the "traditional" sports, like baseball, football, etc., and I had no alternatives. That's really probably why I was never really that physically active growing up. If I had had more options in the non-traditional realm, I probably would have been more active.

The only people who pine for the "good old days" are generally the same who latently miss the days before political correctness and hate multiculturalism. A lot of the original post sounds like yet another "angry white male" rant.

Well, the "good old days" were racist, homophobic, and mostly misogynist, along with having a contempt for anyone with intellect, in favor of deifying jocks/frat types. Blech.

I'm certainly not saying that the present is perfect. Kids should be more active, but, as it stands, a lot of kids don't feel comfortable in athletics, because "jock types" do a good job of belitting those who aren't very good. There's room for competitive athletics, so I definitely don't think they should be replaced, but there also needs to be more room for more non-competitive "intramural" sports. If college kids can pull off having both serious competitive sports teams, along with less serious, fun sports, I don't know why HS/elementary can't do it.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by diamond
Most Americans would differ with you Irvine.

bravo to Melon's last post.

nostalgia is dangerous.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #23
Local Time: 04:09 PM
I disagree melon. I know many hispanics who long for the same days (my family included). I think it is something that is natural for all humans-we all want o go back to that childhood.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #24
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Which good old days are you talking about Melon? I think it depends on the exact time and place where you grew up. At the same time memories are so subjective that it really is an individual experience. I agree that nostalgia makes things seem a lot better, but not all change is for the best.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #25
I cant belive how lazy kids have gotten today. When I was younger... during the summer we werent even allowed in the house during daylight unless it was raining or lunchtime. And we didtn want to be in either!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #26
i'm so confused....when exactly was this peaceful and prosperous america?
-pre civil war when we had slaves?
- civil war the atrocities (ie Sherman's March to the Sea)
- Jim Crow laws?
- trail of tears?
- the internment of japanese americans?
- vietnam?
- red scare?
- down sizing of the eighties?
- the 90s?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #27
Jesus Online
Local Time: 08:09 AM
I dont think that only sporty kids had it made back then. I never was. Instead, I'd head up the dirt road with my willing army, determined that yabbying was better than street cricket. Catch and release, our yabbying was a pro outfit. We'd pretend to be Aboriginals and play in semi dry creek beds making warpaint and artwork from sandstone, dirt and any other liquified colour. We copied what we learned about the Aboriginals in school and discovered you can actually spray the back of your hand to leave a silhouette. We'd seek goannas, red bellied black snakes, trapdoor spiders. We never got bitten. Except once when we found a wounded Rosella who didn't take to kindly to being held and latched on to my friend's thumb one day, nearly requiring stitches.

Yes, there was plenty of cricket and rugby league and soccer in the street. But we grew up in the bush where tv was something you only did when it was pouring outside and mum wanted you to be quiet for 5 minutes peace.

I never knew boredom til I became an adult.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 03-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #28
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Yikes, I played outside, rode bikes without a helmet, climbed and jumped off fences, had water fights, was a scout, played sports and all that other stuff that was great fun. And then in high school I played video games, watched TV and all that stuff. Yay for variety.

LOL Angela about the yabbying ~ the old meat on a string I presume? oh that it how you get bait, first you get the yabbie and then you get yourself a trout. Having family around Guyra and going up there is a great way to get away from the city, and then having the other side of the family in Wollongong gave that whole beach thing (nothing quite like jumping into a channel out on the rocks and getting dumped through it.

Captain Blackadder

I, on the other hand, am a fully-rounded human being, with a degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks, & three gold stars from the Kindergarten of Getting the Shit Kicked Out of Me.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 AM   #29
I would agree with Melon.

To quote; 'you glorify the past when the future dries up'.

I avoid getting nostalgic, in fear of sounding too much like a fading Southern Dame from a Tennesse Williams play.

Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 03-08-2005, 04:24 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:09 PM
I also avoid getting nostalgic because we shouldn't be focused on the past but the future. And it must makes me sad