That's so gay. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:44 AM
That's so gay.

So last night I am watching the local news when a report came up about a student who was suspended from school. On top of the suspension they put on her record that she uses hate speech. Apparently while in class there was a debate of some sort, not really sure (I have been trying to find the article)when this student said "That's so gay." Do you think that was hate speech? She did not say it to a person and maybe thought the whole debate was gay??? What are your thoughts? Oh and she and her parents are now in court with the teacher, school and school district to try and remove the "used hate speech" off her record.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:44 AM
I'd say that it's wrong to say that, but we don't know the context of the debate, so I can't say whether it's hate speech or not. But, if it is, then most of my high school would be suspended for hate speech.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I found one for you. I think it's best to say it's dumb or stupid rather than gay, otherwise aren't you equating being gay with being lame and stupid?

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_053221758.html

(CBS 5) SANTA ROSA The school district's battle against a phrase many teenagers use without giving much thought -- "that's so gay" -- has sparked a legal fight.

Uttered on high school and junior high campuses is slang not many may understand or appreciate.

To say, "that's so gay," according to high school sophomore Jared Young, is to say, "That's dumb. That's lame. That's just stupid."

It has nothing to do with being gay, he said.

The public schools think the slang use of "gay" is highly inappropriate, and the school district is being sued in court for its stance.

Parents of a former Maria Carrillo High School student say the girl was disciplined for using the term, "that's so gay." They are seeking punitive damages.

The legal case could be precedent-setting and determine whether schools and teachers have a right to tell kids what they can and cannot say.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not too fresh on the politics of k-12 school, but I know that here at a university people cannot be charged with "hate speech." it is too vague and a violation of the 1st amendment of the constitution. one university was actually sued b/c they had an anti-hate speech rule. they were forced to take it down. this kid can totally appeal the suspension.

for the record, i cant stand it when people say "thats so gay/retarded." it is one of the most ignorant social trends i've ever had to live through. ALL my students say it, and i'm trying desperately to educating them on why it is wrong.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
She's the One

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Re: That's so gay.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
She did not say it to a person and maybe thought the whole debate was gay???
How can a debate be gay?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: That's so gay.

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

How can a debate be gay?
I am just saying. Could a word be used in different ways. We use "Fuck" "Shit" Bitch" in other ways? So is it hate that she spewed or something general about a subject that she did not like?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Are you sure the school explicitly used the term "hate speech"? The only story I could find besides the one MrsS posted simply said that she got a "written referral" (which is not part of a student's permanent file, apparently) for using an expression that students were not supposed to use anyhow, according to already existing school policies. Also, I couldn't find any reference to her having been suspended.

As far as it goes, I see no problem with a school having a policy against saying "That's so gay" (or as Mia mentioned, "That's so retarded"). Yes an automatic suspension would strike me as an overzealous way to enforce something like that, but it's still not clear to me that that's what happened.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thats what was said on the news last night, that she used hate speech. But wouldn't a suspension intrude on her freedom of speech. She did not say it towards anyone. Why does society have to be so PC?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Thats what was said on the news last night, that she used hate speech. But wouldn't a suspension intrude on her freedom of speech. She did not say it towards anyone. Why does society have to be so PC?
I don't think it is about being PC, I think it is a lack of respect for people, and largely due to ignorance. None of my students who say "that's so retarded" have somebody with disabilities in their family. If you are replacing one word with another, you are assuming that they mean the same thing. Thus, replacing "stupid" with "gay" means that stupid=gay.

I don't like that I'm using this as an example, but perhaps it would get you to understand my perspective. What if people started saying "that's so Justin?" in response to silly actions?? Would you be offended?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

No, but I don't see what the big deal is. What is she supposed to say that's so stupid? They people would think she is applying that to people who may learn at a slower pace and think their dumb?

Is it not her constitutional right to say that if she wanted, or are we now banning words like we do to some books, which I find ridiculous.

Oh and I like the picture "What no tacos?" LOL
Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
No, but I don't see what the big deal is. What is she supposed to say that's so stupid? They people would think she is applying that to people who may learn at a slower pace and think their dumb?

Is it not her constitutional right to say that if she wanted, or are we now banning words like we do to some books, which I find ridiculous.

Oh and I like the picture "What no tacos?" LOL
So, if I understand correctly...you would be offended if she said "that's so stupid" but not offended if she said "that's so gay", right?

And thanks! It is an inside joke from a class where we were discussing ethnic identity development. I drew a comic outlying the stages of one of the theories, with that being one of the phrases. It has become my catch phrase. Haha that and crunk-n-munch.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I would not be offended if she said that's so stupid. I would not be offended if she said that's so gay. I think people are afraid to speak out now with the thought police around. She did not direct it to anyone so no harm done. Plus Gay means happy so whats the big deal?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Re: Re: That's so gay.

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

How can a debate be gay?
if the Super Bowl can be gay, then so can a debate.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I would not be offended if she said that's so stupid. I would not be offended if she said that's so gay. I think people are afraid to speak out now with the thought police around. She did not direct it to anyone so no harm done. Plus Gay means happy so whats the big deal?
So you wouldn't be offended if she said "that's so stupid." but then just before you said that "people would think she was referring to people who think at a slower pace and think they're dumb." These two statements seem contradictory to me. Can you clarify?

Also, yes, in some cases gay means happy. But you and I know full well that when people say "that's so gay" they are not talking about happiness.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redhotswami

So you wouldn't be offended if she said "that's so stupid." but then just before you said that "people would think she was referring to people who think at a slower pace and think they're dumb." These two statements seem contradictory to me. Can you clarify?

Also, yes, in some cases gay means happy. But you and I know full well that when people say "that's so gay" they are not talking about happiness.
[/QUOTE

Yeah some people may take it that way as you calling some one dumb, when it's not true. What that person is really saying is the subject is stupid. If there not allowed to use the word "Gay" then I expect schools to do the same when one african american calls another a "Nigga" because it might offend others. Don't you agree with that?