That's so gay.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So last night I am watching the local news when a report came up about a student who was suspended from school. On top of the suspension they put on her record that she uses hate speech. Apparently while in class there was a debate of some sort, not really sure (I have been trying to find the article)when this student said "That's so gay." Do you think that was hate speech? She did not say it to a person and maybe thought the whole debate was gay??? What are your thoughts? Oh and she and her parents are now in court with the teacher, school and school district to try and remove the "used hate speech" off her record.

I'd say that it's wrong to say that, but we don't know the context of the debate, so I can't say whether it's hate speech or not. But, if it is, then most of my high school would be suspended for hate speech.

I found one for you. I think it's best to say it's dumb or stupid rather than gay, otherwise aren't you equating being gay with being lame and stupid?

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_053221758.html

(CBS 5) SANTA ROSA The school district's battle against a phrase many teenagers use without giving much thought -- "that's so gay" -- has sparked a legal fight.

Uttered on high school and junior high campuses is slang not many may understand or appreciate.

To say, "that's so gay," according to high school sophomore Jared Young, is to say, "That's dumb. That's lame. That's just stupid."

It has nothing to do with being gay, he said.

The public schools think the slang use of "gay" is highly inappropriate, and the school district is being sued in court for its stance.

Parents of a former Maria Carrillo High School student say the girl was disciplined for using the term, "that's so gay." They are seeking punitive damages.

The legal case could be precedent-setting and determine whether schools and teachers have a right to tell kids what they can and cannot say.

I'm not too fresh on the politics of k-12 school, but I know that here at a university people cannot be charged with "hate speech." it is too vague and a violation of the 1st amendment of the constitution. one university was actually sued b/c they had an anti-hate speech rule. they were forced to take it down. this kid can totally appeal the suspension.

for the record, i cant stand it when people say "thats so gay/retarded." it is one of the most ignorant social trends i've ever had to live through. ALL my students say it, and i'm trying desperately to educating them on why it is wrong.

Re: Re: That's so gay.

martha said:

How can a debate be gay?

I am just saying. Could a word be used in different ways. We use "Fuck" "Shit" Bitch" in other ways? So is it hate that she spewed or something general about a subject that she did not like?

Are you sure the school explicitly used the term "hate speech"? The only story I could find besides the one MrsS posted simply said that she got a "written referral" (which is not part of a student's permanent file, apparently) for using an expression that students were not supposed to use anyhow, according to already existing school policies. Also, I couldn't find any reference to her having been suspended.

As far as it goes, I see no problem with a school having a policy against saying "That's so gay" (or as Mia mentioned, "That's so retarded"). Yes an automatic suspension would strike me as an overzealous way to enforce something like that, but it's still not clear to me that that's what happened.

Thats what was said on the news last night, that she used hate speech. But wouldn't a suspension intrude on her freedom of speech. She did not say it towards anyone. Why does society have to be so PC?

Justin24 said:
Thats what was said on the news last night, that she used hate speech. But wouldn't a suspension intrude on her freedom of speech. She did not say it towards anyone. Why does society have to be so PC?

I don't think it is about being PC, I think it is a lack of respect for people, and largely due to ignorance. None of my students who say "that's so retarded" have somebody with disabilities in their family. If you are replacing one word with another, you are assuming that they mean the same thing. Thus, replacing "stupid" with "gay" means that stupid=gay.

I don't like that I'm using this as an example, but perhaps it would get you to understand my perspective. What if people started saying "that's so Justin?" in response to silly actions?? Would you be offended?

No, but I don't see what the big deal is. What is she supposed to say that's so stupid? They people would think she is applying that to people who may learn at a slower pace and think their dumb?

Is it not her constitutional right to say that if she wanted, or are we now banning words like we do to some books, which I find ridiculous.

Oh and I like the picture "What no tacos?" LOL

Justin24 said:
No, but I don't see what the big deal is. What is she supposed to say that's so stupid? They people would think she is applying that to people who may learn at a slower pace and think their dumb?

Is it not her constitutional right to say that if she wanted, or are we now banning words like we do to some books, which I find ridiculous.

Oh and I like the picture "What no tacos?" LOL

So, if I understand correctly...you would be offended if she said "that's so stupid" but not offended if she said "that's so gay", right?

And thanks! It is an inside joke from a class where we were discussing ethnic identity development. I drew a comic outlying the stages of one of the theories, with that being one of the phrases. It has become my catch phrase. Haha that and crunk-n-munch.

I would not be offended if she said that's so stupid. I would not be offended if she said that's so gay. I think people are afraid to speak out now with the thought police around. She did not direct it to anyone so no harm done. Plus Gay means happy so whats the big deal?

Justin24 said:
I would not be offended if she said that's so stupid. I would not be offended if she said that's so gay. I think people are afraid to speak out now with the thought police around. She did not direct it to anyone so no harm done. Plus Gay means happy so whats the big deal?

So you wouldn't be offended if she said "that's so stupid." but then just before you said that "people would think she was referring to people who think at a slower pace and think they're dumb." These two statements seem contradictory to me. Can you clarify?

Also, yes, in some cases gay means happy. But you and I know full well that when people say "that's so gay" they are not talking about happiness.

redhotswami said:

So you wouldn't be offended if she said "that's so stupid." but then just before you said that "people would think she was referring to people who think at a slower pace and think they're dumb." These two statements seem contradictory to me. Can you clarify?

Also, yes, in some cases gay means happy. But you and I know full well that when people say "that's so gay" they are not talking about happiness.
[/QUOTE

Yeah some people may take it that way as you calling some one dumb, when it's not true. What that person is really saying is the subject is stupid. If there not allowed to use the word "Gay" then I expect schools to do the same when one african american calls another a "Nigga" because it might offend others. Don't you agree with that?

Justin24 said:

You're mixing up issues here. This is high school your freedom of speech is limited, you can't cuss, etc.

Why is "gay" being used as a derogative? There are two defintions that I know of neither would have been used correctly in this context.

Should we say "that is so mexican", or "that is so Justin", or "that is so straight" when meaning something is 'stupid' as you put it.

You know what the problem is here in the US? It's peoples feelings and having a brigade of people telling you what you can and can't say anymore. If you say it then guess what you should know the consequences. And she did not target an indivdual.

America went from being a place were we value freedom to a dictator ship of organizations who feel words will break your bones instead of sticks and stones.

Justin24 said:
You know what the problem is here in the US? It's peoples feelings and having a brigade of people telling you what you can and can't say anymore. If you say it then guess what you should know the consequences. And she did not target an indivdual.

America went from being a place were we value freedom to a dictator ship of organizations who feel words will break your bones instead of sticks and stones.

So ignorance and degradation should live strong in high school?

I'm not going to even address the rest of your post.

So your saying yes it was wrong for her to say "That's so Gay?"

But your allowed to spew "Nigga" all over the high school campus?

Justin24 said:
So your saying yes it was wrong for her to say "That's so Gay?"

But your allowed to spew "Nigga" all over the high school campus?

Where did you get that from? I never said anything about the word 'nigga'.

That's really a difference between the US and Germany.

Here people are sometimes using words such as gay in a derogatory way. These people are usually around 16 years old, and grow out of it.
Of course it's not that it'S right, or good, to use these words in that context. But we would just telling them that it's stupid and wrong or we would :rolleyes:

Never anyone would get suspended from school, or getting a letter telling them off.

Well you haven't been to highschool in a long time then. I hear high school kids and some college kids talking like that when I am walking to my school after work.

You can't say what she said was wrong ( as I have said she did not say it to an individual) and allow nigga to be used freely.

Justin24 said:

You can't say what she said was wrong ( as I have said she did not say it to an individual) and allow nigga to be used freely.

First of all the word 'nigga' is not the issue, secondly if it was is it being used as a derogotive?

Go back to the issue, and answer my first question.

Is you first question why is Gay used as a derogative?

It's used to explain things as weird, stupid, boring.

So if Nigga is being used as a derogative by some in the african american community shouldn't they know? Shouldn't we stop rappers from using it in their lyrics? But then that would take away their free speech.

All I know is she should not be in trouble for this because she called the subject of discussion gay and not Tom, Tim or Joe.

okay, so i have a weird time with this stuff.

i remember a year or so ago a friend of mine was finishing up his undergrad and was working on a group project at his house. i was over at the time, and someone said something to the effect of, "yo, what's up with all this gay-assesd weather?"

i mean, honestly, what does that mean? needless to say, it became a joke from then on in between myself and my friend. everything was "gay-assed" -- coffee, the news, socks, cell phones -- because it was so silly.

it's not hateful, but it is derogatory, and it makes you sound like a fucking fool to think that "gay" is a word that can be used in the pejorative.

however, i am fine with using "gay" to describe somethings. i'd call "Dreamgirls" gay, as well as "African-American." i'd call Drag Shows gay. i'd call many Westerns gay. i'd call nearly half the clothes in Banana Republic gay. gay is now a very clear cultural niche, and a straight person can wear gay, or see gay, or listen to gay, and not have it mean a thing about his sexuality.

so, to extend this, i would say that i did just buy a really gay pair of Pumas yesterday at DSW. wow, what a gay sentence. and i'm fine with that. because i'm acknowledging the stereotype/niche while i am fully aware that it's not all-encompassing, and that the non-gay can easily consume that which might be termed gay without much of a problem in the same way that i get tremendous (guilty) pleasure out of the new Beyonce single (which is also kind of gay).

so ... yes, if i were a middle school teacher and i heard someone using "gay" as interchangeable with "stupid" or, worse, "retarded," then i'd call him out on that. it's inappropriate, and it's less for the benefit of someone in the class who might have a gay uncle or lesbian mothers and more to make sure the kid doesn't walk around thinking that kid of language is acceptable and he makes an ass out of himself.

but it is slippery. when someone says "gay-assed shit," they don't mean gay as in homosexual, unless they're saying that "Moulin Rouge was a really gay-assed movie," which it kind of was, but then just how derogatory is that?

whatever. y'all can puzzle out this gay-assed shit yourselves.

Irvine511 said:

i remember a year or so ago a friend of mine was finishing up his undergrad and was working on a group project at his house. i was over at the time, and someone said something to the effect of, "yo, what's up with all this gay-assesd weather?"

i mean, honestly, what does that mean? needless to say, it became a joke from then on in between myself and my friend. everything was "gay-assed" -- coffee, the news, socks, cell phones -- because it was so silly.

it's not hateful, but it is derogatory, and it makes you sound like a fucking fool to think that "gay" is a word that can be used in the pejorative.

however, i am fine with using "gay" to describe somethings. i'd call "Dreamgirls" gay, as well as "African-American." i'd call Drag Shows gay. i'd call many Westerns gay. i'd call nearly half the clothes in Banana Republic gay. gay is now a very clear cultural niche, and a straight person can wear gay, or see gay, or listen to gay, and not have it mean a thing about his sexuality.

so, to extend this, i would say that i did just buy a really gay pair of Pumas yesterday at DSW. wow, what a gay sentence. and i'm fine with that. because i'm acknowledging the stereotype/niche while i am fully aware that it's not all-encompassing, and that the non-gay can easily consume that which might be termed gay without much of a problem in the same way that i get tremendous (guilty) pleasure out of the new Beyonce single (which is also kind of gay).

so ... yes, if i were a middle school teacher and i heard someone using "gay" as interchangeable with "stupid" or, worse, "retarded," then i'd call him out on that. it's inappropriate, and it's less for the benefit of someone in the class who might have a gay uncle or lesbian mothers and more to make sure the kid doesn't walk around thinking that kid of language is acceptable and he makes an ass out of himself.

but it is slippery. when someone says "gay-assed shit," they don't mean gay as in homosexual, unless they're saying that "Moulin Rouge was a really gay-assed movie," which it kind of was, but then just how derogatory is that?

LOL That was great.:up:

BVS is correct above, you have no freedom of speech in high school. You can't cuss, and they can make you wear uniforms or whatever if they want. Should she be in more trouble if she'd said "That's so fucking gay?"

Irvine511 said:

Irvine, what's up with this gay-assed post?

Seriously, I loved it.

Is saying that's so gay the same, better, or worse than saying that's so retarded? If it's worse, then I'd be in a heep of trouble.

Nevermind, apparently it is just as bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom