That's so gay. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #76
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
But why now?? I would hope the bring more suits to people who use other language deemed offensive and not just her.
No, she's suing, not the school! Her parents, anyhow. And they're not suing because of the policy itself.

Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, Feb 15
Quote:
...Rice, 18, testified that her teacher at Maria Carrillo High School in Santa Rosa never warned her against using the potentially offensive words...[her] attorney, Clark Summers, has said the discipline of Elden and Kathy Rice's daughter, who was a 15-year-old freshman at the time, was arbitrary and selective. The suit seeks removal of the reprimand from Rebekah's high school record and unspecified monetary damages.
Her teacher and a vice principal have testified that she was warned - along with every other incoming freshman - about using racially or otherwise offensive language in school, including that specific phrase. The district was attempting to to reduce bullying and harassment in the wake of an attack on a gay boy the year prior.
Bay Area Reporter, Feb 22
Quote:
...The incidents cited in the lawsuit include a written referral for saying "that's so gay," an alleged threat by an openly lesbian student, a classroom presentation that included the R-rated film, Saving Private Ryan, and a mistaken search of Rebekah's backpack. The non-jury trial began last week in Sonoma County Judge Elaine Rushing's courtroom. In the lawsuit, which names teacher Claudine Gans-Rugebregt, Principal Mark Klick, and Assistant Principal Frances Kass Mason, the Rices said school officials retaliated against Rebekah Rice because of her parents' involvement in protests against a Day of Dialogue held at Maria Carrillo High School in 2000. On Tuesday, February 19, Orlean Koehle, president of the California Eagle Forum and a Santa Rosa substitute teacher, said "Elden [Rice] took the lead and essentially led the charge" when a small group of religiously conservative parents protested the event, especially the inclusion of a presentation on homosexuality.

Filed in December 2003, the lawsuit seeks an order for the school district to comply with education code regulations it allegedly violated, notification to every parent that the school failed to inform them about the showing of the R-rated film, unspecified monetary damages, and removal of the referral from Rebekah Rice's school record. Koehle, who had to be admonished several times for speaking out of turn, admitted that the Rices's lawsuit was "partially to counter the pro-gay agenda in public schools."

According to testimony last week by Rebekah Rice, in 2002 her humanities teacher, Gans-Rugebregt, wrote a referral after the teenager said "that's so gay" in response to students teasing her about her Mormon religion. According to Maria Carrillo Assistant Principal Ron Calloway, a referral goes into a separate discipline file, rather than a student's permanent file, so it would not be part of student's records when he or she applies to colleges.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #77
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:

I don't know? You answer that. will it be because they think gay people are stupid? Will that be your answer?
Well I asked you. You are the one saying it's no big deal and it isn't offensive.

Maybe it isn't offensive to you because you don't know why. You've just accepted it as meaning 'stupid'. To me that's a sad state of affairs when we just accept these things and don't question them.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Yeah, kind of interesting.

My boss, an openly gay woman, saw me wearing a pink shirt today and said, 'that is so gay'. We laughed -- she know's I'm not gay. It was funny.

I use the term in that sense only, and only with people that I know wouldn't be offended.

Sometimes, I've used it in the 'gray' area, where it might be so flamboyant, over the top, that it is also stupid, but use the phrase to describe something.

Do gay people use the phrase "that is so straight" to poke fun of something awkwardly uptight?

Black people, "that is so white"? Yeah, Chapelle makes that joke all the time.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
YDo gay people use the phrase "that is so straight" to poke fun of something awkwardly uptight?

yes. we do. ugly sweaters, white sneakers with jeans, brown belt and black shoes, etc. all "very hetero."
Old 02-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well I asked you. You are the one saying it's no big deal and it isn't offensive.

Maybe it isn't offensive to you because you don't know why. You've just accepted it as meaning 'stupid'. To me that's a sad state of affairs when we just accept these things and don't question them.
No, I said earlier maybe thats what some think it means.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #81
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No, I said earlier maybe thats what some think it means.
What? I know, what does that have to do with my most recent post?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
According to testimony last week by Rebekah Rice, in 2002 her humanities teacher, Gans-Rugebregt, wrote a referral after the teenager said "that's so gay" in response to students teasing her about her Mormon religion.
Were the kids making fun of Mormons written up too?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What? I know, what does that have to do with my most recent post?
You said that I said Gay meant stupid. Thats not what I said. If you go back a few pages I said maybe thats what some students think?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #84
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
No, because she didn't say anything at the time.

Press-Democrat again:
Quote:
...Gans-Rugebregt, however, said she doesn't recall Rice telling her she was being taunted. "If Rebekah would have voiced to me that she was being hurt by someone, I would have done something," she said.

Rice said she never talked to her high school counselor about the teasing, which she said lasted a couple of weeks and then intermittently until her sophomore year, because she doesn't like to talk about her feelings.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

I hope so other wise if bashing someones faith is acceptable behavior then so is saying "That's So Gay".
Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

No, because she didn't say anything at the time.

Press-Democrat again:
Maybe she didn't hear it because she didn't care. This is the bay area for god's sake a place that has no tollerance for religions but for other groups they do.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i still don't use retarded much at all, and it's interesting, but i would never use it to ever describe a person, but i might use it to describe a situation -- i.e., "these MapQuest directions are retarded!"
Precisely. But if I heard someone refer to my neices with Down's as retarded I might want to smack them into next week.

I agree with the rest of your post as well.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #88
Forum Moderator

Believe whatever you want to Justin, I'm just offering some of the facts of the case as presented by the newspapers since facts about it seemed to be short on the ground in here.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Believe whatever you want to Justin, I'm just offering some of the facts of the case as presented by the newspapers since facts about it seemed to be short on the ground in here.
Why didn't they put all the facts in the news report last night>?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #90
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You said that I said Gay meant stupid. Thats not what I said. If you go back a few pages I said maybe thats what some students think?
Quote:
What is she supposed to say that's so stupid?
You were the one who originally used it synonymous with 'stupid'.

You never said why.

I'm glad you wouldn't find your name being used synonymously with 'stupid' as being offensive, maybe now the students can start using that instead of 'gay' so they won't get in trouble.