That's so gay. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
No, but I don't see what the big deal is. What is she supposed to say that's so stupid? They people would think she is applying that to people who may learn at a slower pace and think their dumb?

Is it not her constitutional right to say that if she wanted, or are we now banning words like we do to some books, which I find ridiculous.

You're mixing up issues here. This is high school your freedom of speech is limited, you can't cuss, etc.

Why is "gay" being used as a derogative? There are two defintions that I know of neither would have been used correctly in this context.

Should we say "that is so mexican", or "that is so Justin", or "that is so straight" when meaning something is 'stupid' as you put it.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:49 AM
You know what the problem is here in the US? It's peoples feelings and having a brigade of people telling you what you can and can't say anymore. If you say it then guess what you should know the consequences. And she did not target an indivdual.

America went from being a place were we value freedom to a dictator ship of organizations who feel words will break your bones instead of sticks and stones.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You know what the problem is here in the US? It's peoples feelings and having a brigade of people telling you what you can and can't say anymore. If you say it then guess what you should know the consequences. And she did not target an indivdual.

America went from being a place were we value freedom to a dictator ship of organizations who feel words will break your bones instead of sticks and stones.
So ignorance and degradation should live strong in high school?

I'm not going to even address the rest of your post.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So your saying yes it was wrong for her to say "That's so Gay?"

But your allowed to spew "Nigga" all over the high school campus?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So your saying yes it was wrong for her to say "That's so Gay?"

But your allowed to spew "Nigga" all over the high school campus?
Where did you get that from? I never said anything about the word 'nigga'.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 PM
ignorance yes. hatred no.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:49 PM
That's really a difference between the US and Germany.

Here people are sometimes using words such as gay in a derogatory way. These people are usually around 16 years old, and grow out of it.
Of course it's not that it'S right, or good, to use these words in that context. But we would just telling them that it's stupid and wrong or we would

Never anyone would get suspended from school, or getting a letter telling them off.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well you haven't been to highschool in a long time then. I hear high school kids and some college kids talking like that when I am walking to my school after work.

You can't say what she said was wrong ( as I have said she did not say it to an individual) and allow nigga to be used freely.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You can't say what she said was wrong ( as I have said she did not say it to an individual) and allow nigga to be used freely.
First of all the word 'nigga' is not the issue, secondly if it was is it being used as a derogotive?

Go back to the issue, and answer my first question.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Is you first question why is Gay used as a derogative?

It's used to explain things as weird, stupid, boring.

So if Nigga is being used as a derogative by some in the african american community shouldn't they know? Shouldn't we stop rappers from using it in their lyrics? But then that would take away their free speech.

All I know is she should not be in trouble for this because she called the subject of discussion gay and not Tom, Tim or Joe.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:49 AM
okay, so i have a weird time with this stuff.

i remember a year or so ago a friend of mine was finishing up his undergrad and was working on a group project at his house. i was over at the time, and someone said something to the effect of, "yo, what's up with all this gay-assesd weather?"

i mean, honestly, what does that mean? needless to say, it became a joke from then on in between myself and my friend. everything was "gay-assed" -- coffee, the news, socks, cell phones -- because it was so silly.

it's not hateful, but it is derogatory, and it makes you sound like a fucking fool to think that "gay" is a word that can be used in the pejorative.

however, i am fine with using "gay" to describe somethings. i'd call "Dreamgirls" gay, as well as "African-American." i'd call Drag Shows gay. i'd call many Westerns gay. i'd call nearly half the clothes in Banana Republic gay. gay is now a very clear cultural niche, and a straight person can wear gay, or see gay, or listen to gay, and not have it mean a thing about his sexuality.

so, to extend this, i would say that i did just buy a really gay pair of Pumas yesterday at DSW. wow, what a gay sentence. and i'm fine with that. because i'm acknowledging the stereotype/niche while i am fully aware that it's not all-encompassing, and that the non-gay can easily consume that which might be termed gay without much of a problem in the same way that i get tremendous (guilty) pleasure out of the new Beyonce single (which is also kind of gay).

so ... yes, if i were a middle school teacher and i heard someone using "gay" as interchangeable with "stupid" or, worse, "retarded," then i'd call him out on that. it's inappropriate, and it's less for the benefit of someone in the class who might have a gay uncle or lesbian mothers and more to make sure the kid doesn't walk around thinking that kid of language is acceptable and he makes an ass out of himself.

but it is slippery. when someone says "gay-assed shit," they don't mean gay as in homosexual, unless they're saying that "Moulin Rouge was a really gay-assed movie," which it kind of was, but then just how derogatory is that?

whatever. y'all can puzzle out this gay-assed shit yourselves.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i remember a year or so ago a friend of mine was finishing up his undergrad and was working on a group project at his house. i was over at the time, and someone said something to the effect of, "yo, what's up with all this gay-assesd weather?"

i mean, honestly, what does that mean? needless to say, it became a joke from then on in between myself and my friend. everything was "gay-assed" -- coffee, the news, socks, cell phones -- because it was so silly.

it's not hateful, but it is derogatory, and it makes you sound like a fucking fool to think that "gay" is a word that can be used in the pejorative.

however, i am fine with using "gay" to describe somethings. i'd call "Dreamgirls" gay, as well as "African-American." i'd call Drag Shows gay. i'd call many Westerns gay. i'd call nearly half the clothes in Banana Republic gay. gay is now a very clear cultural niche, and a straight person can wear gay, or see gay, or listen to gay, and not have it mean a thing about his sexuality.

so, to extend this, i would say that i did just buy a really gay pair of Pumas yesterday at DSW. wow, what a gay sentence. and i'm fine with that. because i'm acknowledging the stereotype/niche while i am fully aware that it's not all-encompassing, and that the non-gay can easily consume that which might be termed gay without much of a problem in the same way that i get tremendous (guilty) pleasure out of the new Beyonce single (which is also kind of gay).

so ... yes, if i were a middle school teacher and i heard someone using "gay" as interchangeable with "stupid" or, worse, "retarded," then i'd call him out on that. it's inappropriate, and it's less for the benefit of someone in the class who might have a gay uncle or lesbian mothers and more to make sure the kid doesn't walk around thinking that kid of language is acceptable and he makes an ass out of himself.

but it is slippery. when someone says "gay-assed shit," they don't mean gay as in homosexual, unless they're saying that "Moulin Rouge was a really gay-assed movie," which it kind of was, but then just how derogatory is that?

LOL That was great.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:49 AM
BVS is correct above, you have no freedom of speech in high school. You can't cuss, and they can make you wear uniforms or whatever if they want. Should she be in more trouble if she'd said "That's so fucking gay?"
Old 02-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Irvine, what's up with this gay-assed post?

Seriously, I loved it.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Is saying that's so gay the same, better, or worse than saying that's so retarded? If it's worse, then I'd be in a heep of trouble.

Nevermind, apparently it is just as bad.