"That's Gay" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Normal "That's Gay"

So apparently I missed the newsflash that "gay" no longer means "homosexual" nor "happy," but it means stupid, and is to be placed where terms like "retarded" and "stupid" used to be.

The worst case happened when my friend called something gay and I literally spent 25 minutes telling him all the reasons why that was so horrible to be using as a synonym for stupid. The next night he came out to me.

We were discussing this linguistic transition in my sociology class and I argued that it was more that just people here saying it and that it only stemmed from ignorance and general fear which is why it's associated with subordinate terms like "retarded" and "stupid." Maybe it's just that I'm in one of the low-tolerance states or something, but do people around the country use it - or just college frat boys in South Dakota?

Old 02-25-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:43 PM

I was just talking about that today with my best friend, who is gay. He and I met because we worked together at the same place. Before I knew that he was homosexual, he made the comment that something stupid was gay. I said to him something like, "On behalf of all of my gay friends, I'm insulted." After I found out he was gay, he had to tease me about that. He said he thought it was the funniest thing when I said that. Now, it's such a joke with us. When we go shopping, he will ask me things like, "Do these pants make me look gay?"

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-25-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:43 PM
I think they use that everywhere... I've mostly heard teenagers using it

From California
Old 02-25-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Well, it isn't acceptable, just as it wouldn't be acceptable to suddenly redefine "hillbilly" as not actually referring to poor and uneducated rural whites, but really meaning retarded. I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a consolation to people whom "hillbilly" is levelled against.

People do use it around the nation. I assure you of that, but considering the total lack of respect that homosexuals get in general, whether it be politicians who use their position as a platform to legislate their personal prejudices or hate groups in "Christian" clothing like "Focus on the Family" boycotting "Big Brothers and Big Sisters" for not banning homosexuals, can you see why such a term would not bother people?

Melon
Old 02-25-2003, 10:30 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 PM
I use it.
Ive used it here too.
I also got reprimanded here by an overzealously Mod once..

DB9
Old 02-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

well my Dad was "lame" in his later years..
some ppl call me a "lame-ass"..
i dont hold it against them..
I think that would be over the top.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #7
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I use it.
Ive used it here too.
Well that's no surprise.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't think the mod (was it me?) was being overzealous in curbing the usage of "gay" as stupid.

Anyway, the context of the joke came up when someone mentioned they were partying in Gayville (a town not too far from here) and people snickered calling the guy fot and he replied with "oh you're GAY!" Then I burst out laughing at the idiocy of the situation and the conversation was started.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
I don't think the mod (was it me?) was being overzealous in curbing the usage of "gay" as stupid.

Anyway, the context of the joke came up when someone mentioned they were partying in Gayville (a town not too far from here) and people snickered calling the guy fot and he replied with "oh you're GAY!" Then I burst out laughing at the idiocy of the situation and the conversation was started.
i guess "gay" people can call eachother that because there is a saying/idea..'its ok if youre in the family' (to use the term)..if you are gay, but not an "outsider".(a breeder)

I dont think retarded ppl should call eachother "retarded" though..

No Lilly it was not you

DB9
Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 PM   #10
BAW
The Flower

Quote:

i guess "gay" people can call eachother that because there is a saying/idea..'its ok if youre in the family' (to use the term)..if you are gay, but not an "outsider".(a breeder)

DB9
sometimes you just make my head hurt
Old 02-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i feel bad cuz i used to use it back when i was in high school. it was a case of if you hear people say something enough, sometimes you tend to pick up on vocabulary words. to make matters worse, one of my closest friends at the time was gay and i'd use it around him. thank god he wasn't offended. even more luckily for me, i don't use the term any more at all unless i'm describing a homosexual or very happy person.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:43 PM
I found the term when used like that to be offensive. We're family friends with someone whose son is mentally handicapped so I always check myself before I say something is retarded.

that being said, I think Diamond brought up an interesting point [I know, I'm sounding crazy!]. If you're gay, is it ok to say something is gay? Similar to blacks calling other blacks niggas but whites not calling blacks niggas. Do you get special permission if you take a bigoted term against you and use it in your favor to diminish its power?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #13
On Thin Ice

Local Time: 09:43 PM

One guy at my school was just called a homo for 'overzealously' defending Sarah Hughes as the greatest figure skater of all time, not because he's a homosexual, just that he was trying to force some unnatural and generally unaccepted viewpoint into the mainstream... but then again, the parallels are riveting.

Beefeater
Old 02-25-2003, 11:09 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
I found the term when used like that to be offensive. We're family friends with someone whose son is mentally handicapped so I always check myself before I say something is retarded.

that being said, I think Diamond brought up an interesting point [I know, I'm sounding crazy!]. If you're gay, is it ok to say something is gay? Similar to blacks calling other blacks niggas but whites not calling blacks niggas. Do you get special permission if you take a bigoted term against you and use it in your favor to diminish its power?
BAW-
Sharky has it right.

Howard Stern says Bono is retarded..

DB9
Old 02-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #15
BAW
The Flower

Quote:

BAW-
Sharky has it right.

Howard Stern says Bono is retarded..

DB9
I didn't disagree with what you said...it was more how you said it, in typical diamond style.

And don't get me started on Howard Stern.